Am I the only one over the whole obsession with internet memes

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

I think we go through cycles. When the web steps up a notch I find memes become more ubiquitous and annoying for a while before settling down, like in the mid 00s and mid 10s. And some places are better at it than others, somewhere like 4chan and parts of Tumblr have always been a bit barf.

As long as the memes are a bit creative and original, are well deployed, not too nasty, not overplayed, and not the sole form of communication, then they are pretty neat. Each generation seems to put their own memey spin on things, and we aren't always in the mood for lcd humour.

Last edited:
I think we go through cycles. When the web steps up a notch I find memes become more ubiquitous and annoying for a while before settling down, like in the mid 00s and mid 10s. And some places are better at it than others, somewhere like 4chan and parts of Tumblr have always been a bit barf.

As long as the memes are a bit creative and original, are well deployed, not too nasty, not overplayed, and not the sole form of communication, then they are pretty neat. Each generation seems to put their own memey spin on things, and we aren't always in the mood for lcd humour.
Most people are just fishing for likes, or trying to be clever but It's been done to death. The hit rate is quite low.

Most people are just fishing for likes, or trying to be clever but It's been done to death. The hit rate is quite low.
Depends on who and where.

I’ve never had a personal Twitter account, it never looked very appealing whenever I followed a link, so maybe the platform is the issue for you?

As ever on social media, never enter into memey relationships with unfunny witless campaigners. You’re only asking for junk mail.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bat4.jpg

i was all over ate my balls in the late 90's. you go looking for it and it's aged just as badly as lolcats, but with the added disaster of 90's web design. it was much funnier and cutting edge when i was 18.

twitter is a cesspit, but sometimes a picture explains perfectly what words can't

Sick of them. Maybe an age thing but probably more the whole joke peaked around 2013 thing. News sites and businesses doing them to seem quirky and down with the under 40s hasn't helped. And the counterculture aspect is long gone when political staffers are doing them.

Last edited:
Sick of them. Maybe an age thing but probably more the whole joke peaked around 2013 thing. News sites and businesses doing them to seem quirky and down with the under 40s hasn't helped. And the counterculture aspect is long gone when political staffers are doing them.
Some are good, but they've become cliche particularly on Twitter. I quite like the game of thrones girl smirking though/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back