Portfolio AN AFL PYRAMID PART TWO; Reserves.

Remove this Banner Ad

_Damo_

Club Legend
Nov 28, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
The next step in an all encompassing AFL was the establishment of a seconds competition.

The AFL Reserves competition drove another nail in the coffin of the state leagues as clubs set about bulking up their lists in order to fill 2 teams every week.

44124397012_fec973e8c0_b.jpg

The directive from the AFL was for clubs to be brave with their reserves, to forge new looks and create new marketing angles, in order to sell interest in the league. This lead to an array of faux-backs, 'Homers' and eyesores. The AFL seemed to revel in the craziness of the league though, as interest in the concept as a genuine entertainment was crucial for it's long term success.

42368789630_1d056f2a8d_b.jpg

West Coast understood the appeal of their Ochre pre season jumper, and immediately created a modernised version. Sales are expected to be HUGE thanks to the online fan market.

oh boy.

44147657332_359209fb79_b.jpg

Gold Coast Suns, the Elephant in every room the of the AFL, was mercifully bought out by optimistic investors during the leagues restructuring. In order to begin turning the clubs fortunes, they re-branded and re launched themselves South East Heat, in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience across southern Queensland.

44147657332_359209fb79_b.jpg

Gold Coast Suns, the Elephant in every room the of the AFL, was mercifully bought out by optimistic investors during the leagues restructuring. In order to begin turning the clubs fortunes, they re-branded and re launched themselves South East Heat, in an attempt to appeal to a wider audience across southern Queensland.
“East Coast Heat” sounds like a Netball or basketball team to me..not a footy club. There’s nothing wrong with Gold Coast Suns as a name( tonnes better than GWS Giants IMHO) I’d just say except their guernsey and visual branding has been woefully lazy since inception. I mean there’s pages of better GC guernseys on here alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“East Coast Heat” sounds like a Netball or basketball team to me..not a footy club. There’s nothing wrong with Gold Coast Suns as a name( tonnes better than GWS Giants IMHO) I’d just say except their guernsey and visual branding has been woefully lazy since inception. I mean there’s pages of better GC guernseys on here alone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The idea behind it was a bland, corporate boardroom idea of a sporting team, even down to ripping off an existing name a la Brisbane bombers NRL bid.

And this is only the reserves team, hold out for the seniors.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back