An Essay by a 30 year Tiger Tragic Where Things Went Wrong & Where They Can Go Right

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Three wonderful premierships. Let's acknowledge the great years and embrace the challenge ahead knowing the rewards we have reaped will fulfill our footy fantasies for the rest of our lives. I am content, I have seen my premierships. Sitting on the wing, level 1, on that beautiful spring September day in 2019, watching the least stressful game ever was a sheer joy. Sharing it with 100k of you legends is a memory ill never forget. I have it up all over my walls, my grand final tickets. 2017 was more shock and nausea whilst 2019 was joy and happiness.

That leads us to 2020
Now 2020 netted us our third premiership, but that flag came at a cultural cost. You can actually pinpoint 2020 as the beginning of our decline.

Off field we were pissing off the AFL. Which is not a good thing to do, and it's fair to say, maybe if we weren't so cocky (I don't mean our supporters I'm talking about our leadership) maybe the AFL polo yacht frat boys club wouldn't have created a genuine vendetta to dismantle all the good that we created. I steer to conspiracy theorist here. But I can't help but feel there's a connection between the off field covid discretions, the bad behaviour at the 'hub' and rule changes to curb our game plan, free kick lopsided count, our senior coach losing the passion to coach only to regain it six weeks later and even our CEO being bought out. Call me crazy but feels like Lockett to Sydney x100.

Durability and Injuries
Throughout the premiership years we nursed our Injuries and 'timed' our run, according to dimma, but Injuries were frequent. Whats happened now is insanity but the blind eyes and blocked ears approach could also tie in with the problems from the hub, smugness. Did our leadership become too smug with their success? It's a question I'm asking. Don't attack for a question. I'm just wondering, in my job, If I notice a problem I try to fix it. At our club, we have let it get really really bad...

Personnel being poached
Neil Balme once said 'we won't even stop Richmond people from being the best version of themselves', an invitation from rival clubs to poach, and poach they did. Butler was the first one. And that was okay, he wasn't getting opportunity and I was happy for him, but they got more frequent, on field became off field, soon enough, whose even left anymore? What's johnny o Rourke doing ? The sheer amount of quality we've lost, are we even a functioning footy club anymore ? Whose left ? David Teague? Chris Newman was a nice hire, I appreciate the process to hire Yze and feel he is the right man for the job, but we need genuine direction.

Punt Road Controversy
A divide within our own club. I noticed this in the middle of cloud 9, a plan that really divided all our supporters and pissed a lot of people off. It is smugness again? Is that a reoccurring theme? Or do we genuinely need this upgrade to keep up with the rest of the competition? To see this project stall and costs to balloon beyond 100 million has been concerning to say the least, ball dropped RFC.

Captaincy
We know what happened the last time a Grimes brother was co captain. What made us think it was gonna be better this time? Dual captain screams indecision, make a decision. That's all we want as fans, make a genuine decision.

Today
We have lots of Injuries, and lots of players will be under the microscope from other clubs, we will be absolutely picked apart by vultures, there will be nothing left by 2025 sadly.

Future hope
Youth.

Remember young Trent Cotchin, Dusty, Riewoldt, Rance and a hungry Dimma who wanted to prove himself? Benny a young CEO?

We need that again. Yze is the youth, I believe in him, but man nothing would make me smile more than going to the draft with picks 1, 8, 10, whatever, really high draft picks and picking genuinely the best kids in the country again.

Rebuild that youthful energy the club lost. Bring in Trent Cotchin to rebuild that culture he had, within a new group and let's do it again. We need John O Rourke to actually do something though. Gary March and Peggy cared, they poured their hearts into the club, I don't see it with O Rourke yet at all.

Go tiges

The Old Boys Club nudged as all to the cliffs edge of retribution...our hubris thought we could all handle the jump/drop...
We are still falling...are we there yet?!?
I don't think we're rock bottom yet. Good call.

Reckon it's coming soon though. Hopefully it's soon so we can start building up.

Three wonderful premierships. Let's acknowledge the great years and embrace the challenge ahead knowing the rewards we have reaped will fulfill our footy fantasies for the rest of our lives. I am content, I have seen my premierships. Sitting on the wing, level 1, on that beautiful spring September day in 2019, watching the least stressful game ever was a sheer joy. Sharing it with 100k of you legends is a memory ill never forget. I have it up all over my walls, my grand final tickets. 2017 was more shock and nausea whilst 2019 was joy and happiness.

That leads us to 2020
Now 2020 netted us our third premiership, but that flag came at a cultural cost. You can actually pinpoint 2020 as the beginning of our decline.

Off field we were pissing off the AFL. Which is not a good thing to do, and it's fair to say, maybe if we weren't so cocky (I don't mean our supporters I'm talking about our leadership) maybe the AFL polo yacht frat boys club wouldn't have created a genuine vendetta to dismantle all the good that we created. I steer to conspiracy theorist here. But I can't help but feel there's a connection between the off field covid discretions, the bad behaviour at the 'hub' and rule changes to curb our game plan, free kick lopsided count, our senior coach losing the passion to coach only to regain it six weeks later and even our CEO being bought out. Call me crazy but feels like Lockett to Sydney x100.

Durability and Injuries
Throughout the premiership years we nursed our Injuries and 'timed' our run, according to dimma, but Injuries were frequent. Whats happened now is insanity but the blind eyes and blocked ears approach could also tie in with the problems from the hub, smugness. Did our leadership become too smug with their success? It's a question I'm asking. Don't attack for a question. I'm just wondering, in my job, If I notice a problem I try to fix it. At our club, we have let it get really really bad...

Personnel being poached
Neil Balme once said 'we won't even stop Richmond people from being the best version of themselves', an invitation from rival clubs to poach, and poach they did. Butler was the first one. And that was okay, he wasn't getting opportunity and I was happy for him, but they got more frequent, on field became off field, soon enough, whose even left anymore? What's johnny o Rourke doing ? The sheer amount of quality we've lost, are we even a functioning footy club anymore ? Whose left ? David Teague? Chris Newman was a nice hire, I appreciate the process to hire Yze and feel he is the right man for the job, but we need genuine direction.

Punt Road Controversy
A divide within our own club. I noticed this in the middle of cloud 9, a plan that really divided all our supporters and pissed a lot of people off. It is smugness again? Is that a reoccurring theme? Or do we genuinely need this upgrade to keep up with the rest of the competition? To see this project stall and costs to balloon beyond 100 million has been concerning to say the least, ball dropped RFC.

Captaincy
We know what happened the last time a Grimes brother was co captain. What made us think it was gonna be better this time? Dual captain screams indecision, make a decision. That's all we want as fans, make a genuine decision.

Today
We have lots of Injuries, and lots of players will be under the microscope from other clubs, we will be absolutely picked apart by vultures, there will be nothing left by 2025 sadly.

Future hope
Youth.

Remember young Trent Cotchin, Dusty, Riewoldt, Rance and a hungry Dimma who wanted to prove himself? Benny a young CEO?

We need that again. Yze is the youth, I believe in him, but man nothing would make me smile more than going to the draft with picks 1, 8, 10, whatever, really high draft picks and picking genuinely the best kids in the country again.

Rebuild that youthful energy the club lost. Bring in Trent Cotchin to rebuild that culture he had, within a new group and let's do it again. We need John O Rourke to actually do something though. Gary March and Peggy cared, they poured their hearts into the club, I don't see it with O Rourke yet at all.

Go tiges
Thanks TM somebody else had to eventually say it. One little sausage has cooked the great club a 1000 ways, but it's the men above him that messed up by accepting it. Then continuing on with all the other incompetent decisions afterwards. Kudos to Peggy as she could read the tea leaves regarding the snobby private school boy's club.

I hear that we are a great club with a great culture- well IMO not so anymore.

Great clubs are made by great people - otherwise they are just some turf on a oval, bricks and mortar and an address.

In our best years we had, from the top, Peggy and Benny and a coach who was totally invested and was coaching really well.
We had footballing and cultural leaders in Cotch, Jack, Dave Astburry, Bachar, Sheds and Grigga- it all came together beautifully

Time passes, key people leave, lose passion and grow old.

Agree with the OP - 2020 to 2022 we began to drift, not many of us saw it, we were too familiar with our recent triumphs.

With almost a brand new cohort now, moving forward we gonna feel some pain and frustration as those in charge begin to write their own story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back