Tyler Sonsie 20
Sam Banks20
Josh Gibcus20
Tom Brown 20
Judson Clarke 20
Steely Green19
Kaleb Smith 19
Seth Campbell19

We are lacking elite young talent which is to be expected given our recent success and access to early draft picks, but we are also thin on players in the "sweet spot" unless a couple of youngsters can take the next step sooner than expected

I don’t think it’s fair to say ‘we are lacking elite young talent’, until we’ve had time to properly assess a few youngsters who just haven’t had a decent run at it due to fitness struggles.

Ryan is a classic case in point ….. he’s 22yo and looks a great prospect for becoming an excellent player. I’d argue right now he’s an elite young talent but you wouldn’t have said that 18-months ago.

Who is to say Brown and Banks won’t be in a similar boat once they get their bodies right?

I’m not sold on the overall quality and depth of our youngsters just yet, but I’ve seen enough to know we’ve given ourselves a chance.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

2013-23 has produced 3 flags.
Missed finals twice in a decade.
Agree club has let us down in not winning all 10.

We've had three years where we've played really well in the finals.

We've had one year where we got knocked out in the Preliminary Final.

We've had nine years where we've either missed the finals or been knocked out in the first week.

Overall, we've won finals in 31% of Hardwick's years, which, if anything, is below the league average of about 33%.

We've had nine years where we've either missed the finals or been knocked out in the first week.

Overall, we've won finals in 31% of Hardwick's years, which, if anything, is below the league average of about 33%.
So in hardwicks Tenure since 2010 only 7 other clubs have won flags
2010 Collingwood 1
2011 Geelong 2
2012 Sydney 3
13,14,15 hawthorn 4
16 dogs 5
17 some of us 6
18 eagles 7
19 a few more jumped on
20 all aboard
21 Dees 8
22 cats

AFL is designed to be cyclical with drafting and salary cap etc. the fact we own 3 of those and another prelim final is an extraordinary effort especially considering the first few years of Hardwicks tenure was compromised drafts.
You want to cherry pick stats I’ll do the same to say the fact we are in a position to compete for finals year on year is exemplary.

The so called biggest club in the land has 2 flags in 64 years. Yet they’re seen as successful because they’re continually in the frame to compete

So in hardwicks Tenure since 2010 only 7 other clubs have won flags
2010 Collingwood 1
2011 Geelong 2
2012 Sydney 3
13,14,15 hawthorn 4
16 dogs 5
17 some of us 6
18 eagles 7
19 a few more jumped on
20 all aboard
21 Dees 8
22 cats

AFL is designed to be cyclical with drafting and salary cap etc. the fact we own 3 of those and another prelim final is an extraordinary effort especially considering the first few years of Hardwicks tenure was compromised drafts.
You want to cherry pick stats I’ll do the same to say the fact we are in a position to compete for finals year on year is exemplary.

The so called biggest club in the land has 2 flags in 64 years. Yet they’re seen as successful because they’re continually in the frame to compete

Being "in a position to compete for finals" (whatever that means) hardly sounds like a high bar

Can’t tell if 2023 or 2005 🤔 🤔 🤔

Yes we need to find some young kids, and it might mean trading a star to get back in the draft.

We are playing putrid football atm, on the back of age/injuries/stale gameplay/inexperienced players.

I think second half of the season we will get a great look at some of the other kids we picked in previous drafts (banks,Browne,Campbell,Bauer)

We may have more to play with then we realise, there is definitely some players getting games currently that shouldn’t be but opportunity should arise for some future long term players.

Here’s hoping anyway, let’s not drown in negativity, I don’t believe we will sit in the wilderness for 37 years again.

You can’t win it without being a position to compete.
Below league average for finals wins. Way above league average for premierships

I guess it all depends on how you slice and dice it. Three premierships from 13 years, above average. Three premierships from four decades, perhaps not. But as TigerImposter has explained, the sides that have won multiple flags in recent times are the ones that have smashed it in a handful of drafts. That’s the key.

Dont really care about them games and their %

What really matters is we have made 3 Grand Finals at 100% Success

Lets Geelol /Colonwood worry about being win/loss during home away games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess it all depends on how you slice and dice it. Three premierships from 13 years, above average. Three premierships from four decades, perhaps not. But as TigerImposter has explained, the sides that have won multiple flags in recent times are the ones that have smashed it in a handful of drafts. That’s the key.

Geelong?? West coast ?

Melbourne tanked and were ****ed for 60 years.

Bulldogs was one out of the box.

So you’re suggesting we bottom out?

Genius solution. Let’s do it. Membership halves, crowd numbers half, sponsors get off or won’t pay as much. Absolute genius solution.
At least the majority of trolls on bigfooty will get bored and go bother someone else.
Brain dead solution

Yet we won 3 flags in that time yet you just harp on the negative side of things.
Just be blessed your a Tiger supporter and not a saint then you can bitch until the cows come home

Geelong?? West coast ?

Melbourne tanked and were ****ed for 60 years.

Bulldogs was one out of the box.

Genius solution. Let’s do it. Membership halves, crowd numbers half, sponsors get off or won’t pay as much. Absolute genius solution.
At least the majority of trolls on bigfooty will get bored and go bother someone else.
Brain dead solution
No we picked Poorly in drafts. That was the issue plus we were broke and were an unattractive option for trades unless you were a spud.

Last edited:

Brain dead solution

Yet we won 3 flags in that time yet you just harp on the negative side of things.
Just be blessed your a Tiger supporter and not a saint then you can bitch until the cows come home

Over 6,000 posts and over 17,000 likes and you think I'm a troll? :eek::roflv1::rolleyesv1:

Who, apart from you, said anything about bottoming out? I just think we should keep our draft picks and, if necessary, go for free agents.

I'm not sure why it's "negative" to point out things that I would have thought were fairly obvious: We're relying on veterans.

In last night's game, the majority of our goals came from players that we recruited 13-plus years ago.

Over 6,000 posts and over 17,000 likes and you think I'm a troll? :eek::roflv1::rolleyesv1:

Who, apart from you, said anything about bottoming out? I just think we should keep our draft picks and, if necessary, go for free agents.

I'm not sure why it's "negative" to point out things that I would have thought were fairly obvious: We're relying on veterans.

In last night's game, the majority of our goals came from players that we recruited 13-plus years ago.

True but there were a lot of positive performances from the 22-29 bracket not to mention the sub 50 game contingent. Bolton, Balta, Taranto, Short, Rioli, Baker, Ryan, Ross, HRS all performed admirably. I agree that the biggest concern moving forward is our fwd line and who will replace jack and Lynch in a few years, but we still have time to sort that out, Ryan is stepping up, Dusty is starting to kick goals, Lynch is still ok for another few years, you cant plug all the gaps in one hit, its a constant evolution.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back