Analysis An independent review of the entire club, (some say, finally!!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Feel free to copy paste the article :p

Allow me...

Collingwood commissions external review of entire club
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
24 minutes ago

COLLINGWOOD has commissioned a strategic review of its entire club operations to help achieve its on and off-field goals.

The Magpies have appointed experienced businessman Peter Murphy to lead the examination of every department, including the men’s and women’s football set-ups and netball division.

The “strategic blueprint” could form part of the end-of-season analysis of Collingwood’s coaching staff, including out-of-contract senior coach Nathan Buckley.

MENTAL HEALTH: FASOLO SEEKS HELP FOR DEPRESSION

OWN GOALS: MAGPIES CAN REMEDY ACCURACY WOES

President Eddie McGuire said the review would provide clear guidance on how the club could continue to grow over the next decade and specifically combat the league’s equalisation taxes.

“This blueprint will serve as a top-to-bottom guide for the next phase of our club’s great journey,” McGuire said.

“It will unlock further enormous potential and help to neutralise the encroaching impact of AFL equalisation policies.”

ff8c4f16786326db8c4eeccc3ab5a738

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and coach Nathan Buckley. Picture: Getty Images
Murphy is the executive chairman of anti-poverty project Global Citizen and founder of Pan Group Australia.

He has been working with the Magpies board as a consultant in recent times and is involved in the club’s foundation.

Murphy will draw on external expertise including Chris Thomas, the former managing partner of global executive search firm Egon Zehnder.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...b/news-story/6cb2d4a0893bb4bdad08ae016c89e1b7

Last edited:
I think we need Markfs's input on this one I think........proceed.......Marks......

Murphy's not some Gordon Gecko corporate raider who rips people off for a living and practices human sacrifices for fun, is he...? :eek:

Proceed, counselor...

A few things.

One, why do the AFLW and Netball teams need a review after 1 ******* year? If they do it means that those charged with setting them up have failed miserably and need to go. Two, how independent is Peter Murphy given he's been working as a consultant in "recent times"? Three, sweeping reviews before decisions are made on individuals vacating key roles is unlikely to lead to change in personnel, IMO.

The last is the killer for me. I can see it now the review will reveal Buckley needs more support in x, y and z capacities and instead of us making the hard call we allow an "independent" to give us an out. We'll stand by it and say it was best practice because Geelong once did it a decade ago. All the while the jobs for the boys regime is maintained and we go nowhere. It may obviously be the cynic in me, but nothing good comes of announcing that review at the end of May!

Last edited:
A few things.

One, why do the AFLW and Netball teams need a review after 1 ******* year? Two, how independent is Peter Murphy given he's been working as a consultant in "recent times"? Three, sweeping reviews before decisions are made on key roles is unlikely to lead to change in personnel, IMO.

The last is the killer for me. I can see it now the sweeping review will reveal Buckley needs more support in x, y and z capacities and instead of us making the hard call we let an "independent" give us an out. We'll stand by at and say it was best practice as Geelong once did all the while the jobs for the boys regime is maintained and we go nowhere. It may obviously be the cynic in me, but nothing good comes of announcing that review at the end of May!

So, you're a fan of Yes Minister, I take it...?

A few things.

One, why do the AFLW and Netball teams need a review after 1 ******* year? If they do it means that those charged with setting them up have failed miserably and need to go. Two, how independent is Peter Murphy given he's been working as a consultant in "recent times"? Three, sweeping reviews before decisions are made on individuals vacating key roles is unlikely to lead to change in personnel, IMO.

The last is the killer for me. I can see it now the review will reveal Buckley needs more support in x, y and z capacities and instead of us making the hard call we allow an "independent" give us an out. We'll stand by at and say it was best practice as Geelong once did all the while the jobs for the boys regime is maintained and we go nowhere. It may obviously be the cynic in me, but nothing good comes of announcing that review at the end of May!

I'll say it, you're being too cynical. All the announcement of an early review means is there is enough time to do the review properly. I think this will be good news for us.

Quicky unfortunately my cynicism only grows when I read information like this.

Murphy has been working with the club’s board in recent years as a consultant, and is currently involved in the Magpies’ foundation.

Yet the review is claimed to be independent? That's not recent times that's an established relationship with the board!

A few things.

The last is the killer for me. I can see it now the review will reveal Buckley needs more support in x, y and z capacities and instead of us making the hard call we allow an "independent" give us an out. We'll stand by at and say it was best practice as Geelong once did all the while the jobs for the boys regime is maintained and we go nowhere. It may obviously be the cynic in me, but nothing good comes of announcing that review at the end of May!
Well said.

It worries me this guy sounds hand picked by Eddie. Come to think of it, is Eddie on the review committee??

Yet the review is claimed to be independent?

There's an old adage about throwing the baying mob a piece of red meat and then scarpering while they feast on it that comes to mind when reading your posts...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A few things.

Possibly Sco... or maybe the board has already made up their minds that changes are needed but want to have a clear goal going forward. I don't think the club would commission a review and not act on the findings. We have not progressed as a club for several years (not just on the field). Peter Murphy is a very intelligent man.

Yet the review is claimed to be independent? That's not recent times that's an established relationship with the board!
Surely if we wanted to do an in depth independent review we should have done what Richmond did and brought in a company like Ernst and Young?

A few things.

Sco I will raise your cinic with my Cinic.........you say Tomatoe........I say Tomato........you say review........I say window dressing.

Sometimes our Club shits me. My mushroom theory applies here. Just my two cents.

Surely if we wanted to do an in depth independent review we should have done what Richmond did and brought in a company like Ernst and Young?

Ernst & Young was window dressing also........don't get sucked in by that Mkcaptain.

There's an old adage about throwing the baying mob a piece of red meat and then scarpering while they feast on it that comes to mind when reading your posts...

You flatter me mr. Bat.

Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order and everything becomes... Chaos

I think our club needs a little chaos behind the scenes after such a long period of stagnation.

You flatter me mr. Bat.

Introduce a little anarchy, upset the established order and everything becomes... Chaos

I think our club needs a little chaos behind the scenes after such a long period of stagnation.

You quote that s**t to me again and I will feed you your teeth. Rectally.

Apart from that, you make some good points...

“It will unlock further enormous potential and help to neutralise the encroaching impact of AFL equalisation policies.”

Encroaching impact of equalisation? Sounds like the review is several years too late as we've suffered and gone backwards due to equalisation (football department tax) since at least the end of 2014 when we cut and/or didn't replace numbers in our coaching/development structure.

This is HUGE

OK, crazy prediction time from me ...

(1) Ed will resign as President later this calendar year (Yep, that's a "resign" without the hyphen in the middle)

(2) Peter Murphy, who is conducting the review will become the next President of Collingwood. Ed will step down and handover to him after the review. Peter Murphy is already Chairman of the CFC Foundation

(3) This review will give Peter Murphy the chance to get in and get a candid 360 degree view of what's going on, and do what needs to be done. He'll be basically moulding the club to how he wants it to be when he takes over as President.

(4) Having an ex-partner from Ergon Zehnder (Chris Thomas) on board is interesting. A refresher - it was a partner of Ergon Zehnder who managed the recruitment process that brought Brendan Bolton to Carlton. My guess is that this is more about replacing Gary Pert. Yep, I think Pert will leave at the end of this year and cash in his long service leave.

(5) Is Buckley going too? Unlike the previous 4 items, I don't think this decision has been quite made yet. With the rumblings out of the Suns about Eade, the club is setting itself up to be able to respond quickly with the recruitment of a new senior coach if needed.

And a final thing - this wouldn't have just happened today. This has probably been in the planning for 6 to 8 months.

Strap yourselves in folks, we're in for quite a ride between now and the end of this year!!!

So what? He's a consultant. It depends entirely on the professionalism of the consultant.

Possibly Sco... or maybe the board has already made up their minds that changes are needed but want to have a clear goal going forward. I don't think the club would commission a review and not act on the findings. We have not progressed as a club for several years (not just on the field). Peter Murphy is a very intelligent man.

Definitely possible as well, but we've seen this all before from the McGuire lead Collingwood our last review was what three years ago now? Ed's the master football politician so I'm under no illusion that he and the board are using this as a means to sure up their tenure.

Right now I don't quite see it as a positive because change is needed and rather than this sort of announcement I'd prefer something more tangible such as Pert stepping aside at the end of the year for instance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back