Anderson thinks ask for pick is cheeky...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday is P-day.

Everyone has been very very quiet about it over the last week. We haven't heard anything out of the club or the AFL about it. Not a whiff in the media since AA and Barrett both acted the flog.

Think we will receive a PP. Just a matter of where it is allocated:-

a. Mini Draft - Have to trade pick 1. Seems the AFL like mini drafts lately - Possible
b. Pick 1 overall - Unlikely, due to GWS still in trouble.
c. Pick 3 after our Pick 2 - Yes, if the AFL are really serious about improving results next year.
d. Pick that would have been Essendon's pick - Pick 9. Just before GWS comp pick 10. Will be this one.
e. End of first round - Unlikely. Do not remember any club receiving a PP there.

Not sure if the AFL can adjust the PSD, and provide pick 1 to us there.

A, C and D have no chance of happening.

B won't happen and the only one we look to be a chance of getting is E.

A, C and D have no chance of happening.

B won't happen and the only one we look to be a chance of getting is E.

No quotes from Vlad in any piece, I'm confident.

Commission exists as an independent decision-maker for this very reason.

If the general tone of the media coverage is correct on this issue, then a priority pick is dead in the water.

At best I see us getting end of first round, but I'm starting to think we'll get nothing.

If the general tone of the media coverage is correct on this issue, then a priority pick is dead in the water.

At best I see us getting end of first round, but I'm starting to think we'll get nothing.

Good. Less whining from the opposition and a chance to prove we don't need one. However, if we don't deserve one now after the last couple of seasons then the AFL need to just remove the pick altogether, no team could warrant one if we don't.

Good. Less whining from the opposition and a chance to prove we don't need one. However, if we don't deserve one now after the last couple of seasons then the AFL need to just remove the pick altogether, no team could warrant one if we don't.

I don't understand some of the arguments against that have been put out. Re: injuries, we've missed Clark for the whole season pretty much and Dawes got a mention as well, but we've had a decent run. The Hawks, Geelong, Freo and Sydney all had more serious injuries and more of them than us... their seasons turned out okay. Is Mitch Clark the difference between us being completely non-competitive and a decent side? Might be with a decent midfield in front of him, but when we're getting the ball in the forward 50 about three times a match, doesn't matter who you've got down there.

The other point mentioned is that we've got the 7th youngest list on average with a lot of high draft picks, so we've got plenty of "upside" to come. That assumes we haven't picked duds and spuds and that the players will all improve - which isn't unreasonable but aside from Toumpas and Viney, the majority of our younger players have been in the system for enough years that they should've been AFL level players by now. Trengove, Blease, Strauss, Tapscott and co have been underwhelming and/or inconsistent.

These arguments seem to boil down to the fact that if we were better run and more competent at development as a club we wouldn't need a priority pick. We've been s**t for 5 years and have lost a number of high draft picks and others have stagnated, so unless the AFL really believes Roos is going to walk in and literally improve players just by being there, surely a priority pick is on the cards?

I'm guessing we get pick 19 which should be used to take a midfielder in the draft , with 2 18-19 we should get 3 good kids into the midfield
Wouldn't be the worst outcome. A pick 19 would be the first pick offered up for Adams which will most likely be rejected then leaving it free to take a Dunstan/ Jones combo. Well that's how I see it possibly playing out.

We were fined for the tanking thing so that should be a mute point now.

Don't think well get a first round pick though - if anything.

moot point (plural moot points)
  1. An issue that is subject to, or open for discussion or debate; originally, one to be definitively determined by an assembly of the people.  [quotations ▼]
  2. An issue regarded as potentially debatable, but no longer practically applicable. Although the idea may still be worth debating and exploring academically, and such discussion may be useful for addressing similar issues in the future, the idea has been rendered irrelevant for the present issue.
    Until we rebuild downtown, whether we build more parking spaces is a moot point.
Sorry, a pet peeve of mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we do get one expect to hear that it was an extraordinary back flip from the AFL as Ralph and his mates have been reporting that we won't get anything.

moot point (plural moot points)
  1. An issue that is subject to, or open for discussion or debate; originally, one to be definitively determined by an assembly of the people.  [quotations ▼]
  2. An issue regarded as potentially debatable, but no longer practically applicable. Although the idea may still be worth debating and exploring academically, and such discussion may be useful for addressing similar issues in the future, the idea has been rendered irrelevant for the present issue.
    Until we rebuild downtown, whether we build more parking spaces is a moot point.
Sorry, a pet peeve of mine.

Don't apologise for proper usage. Nothing wrong with putting spelling, grammer, etc on a pedal stool.

If it's a reasonable pick then it will probably be announced when Twiggers or Brynne Edelstone are walking down the red carpet.

Today is the day. I hope we get it... just for other clubs and other clubs supporters to lose their sh!t.

Demetriou should sneak in the announcement when he awards the Brownlow.

"The winner of the 2013 Brownlow medal is... Gary Ablett........ Also Melbourne get pick one. Goodnight, everybody."

"The winner of the 2013 Brownlow medal is... Gary Ablett........ Also Melbourne get pick one. Let's hear it for Gary! I said LET'S HEAR IT FOR GARY! Really? Booing a champion of the game... that's low, folks. Goodnight, everybody."

That's how it should play out. Then he high fives Roosy as he's leaving the stage.

I wonder whether Roosy will be on the MFC table tonight? My thoughts: No. He's big on letting the group of 2013 celebrate the year they've had.

I wonder whether Roosy will be on the MFC table tonight? My thoughts: No. He's big on letting the group of 2013 celebrate the year they've had.
Celebrate? I just don't think he wants to be part of this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back