Roast Andrew Fagan's best football department

Remove this Banner Ad

Like bring in a A grader in Gibbs who is likely to win our B&F?

Our midfield without the injuries is as good as anyone, Gibbs, Sloane, Crouch and Crouch with guys like Douglas, CEY and Greenwood running through it.

Recruiting is not the issue, keeping the good players on the park is.

Spot on. The list profile and IMO the coach isn't the issue.

Our midfield without the injuries is as good as anyone, Gibbs, Sloane, Crouch and Crouch with guys like Douglas, CEY and Greenwood running through it.

I agree with most of what you say, but Gibbs winning our BnF ?? Don't think so.

www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/teams/adelaide/new-adelaide-ceo-former-rugby-boss-andrew-fagan-has-bold-vision/news-story/9c593f1ef1746077e324f5d8e869a2b6

New Adelaide CEO, former rugby boss Andrew Fagan, has bold vision

Michelangelo Rucci, The Advertiser
September 15, 2014 3:22

“The vision should be (to make the Crows) the most respected and successful (team) in the country,” Fagan said.

“That is my history ... deliver the best football program because that is what you can control. Put the right people in the right seats - and get the right system in place.

“That is the focus for me - give the Adelaide Crows the best football progam in the AFL.”

Fagan has had a few years to as he said put the right people in the right seats and put the right systems in place.
How has he gone? Especially important how is the football department looking?
Made a grand final last year... hadn’t done that since 1998.

To me that has more to do with the list we have and Don as coach. We have the same people there this year and we've fallen off a cliff.

Personally I think our GF appearance comes mainly down to the fact we have quite a good head coach and recruiting department, who despite our ex CEO & Reid destroying our drafting for 2 years, developed a great list under the circumstances. I quoted that article because almost 4 years ago Fagan promised the best footy department in the AFL.

Fagans quotes from that article.

“That is my history ... deliver the best football program because that is what you can control. Put the right people in the right seats - and get the right system in place.
“That is the focus for me - give the Adelaide Crows the best football progam in the AFL.”

Has he accomplished in delivering his promise in getting the best available people in the industry into our club, particularly in the football department?
Is Fagan improving our club by introducing stronger skill sets and constant improvement in every new appointment?
Do we have the best football department in the AFL nearly 4 years after his promise?

Poulos > Burton > Hass

Noble > Burton

Camporeale & Clarke > Camporeale & Clarke

Podsiadly & Teague > Hart & Francou

Is there constant improvement?

Is that Fagan’s fault? “We have the same people there this year” so what is different?
What's different is that our players have been crucified by injury all pre-season and season proper. Last year we got lucky until the end of the year with only really fringe players being injured.

Our midfield structures are terrible, our fitness is woeful, and we lost our best assistant coach and fitness guy due to differences of opinion with a woefully underqualified head of fitness and footy manager.

Personally I think our GF appearance comes mainly down to the fact we have quite a good head coach and recruiting department, who despite our ex CEO & Reid destroying our drafting for 2 years, developed a great list under the circumstances. I quoted that article because almost 4 years ago Fagan promised the best footy department in the AFL.

Fagans quotes from that article.

Has he accomplished in delivering his promise in getting the best available people in the industry into our club, particularly in the football department?
Is Fagan improving our club by introducing stronger skill sets and constant improvement in every new appointment?
Do we have the best football department in the AFL nearly 4 years after his promise?

Poulos > Burton > Hass

Noble > Burton

Camporeale & Clarke > Camporeale & Clarke

Podsiadly & Teague > Hart & Francou

Is there constant improvement?

He hasn’t come close to delivering that.

He’s also a lot less visible than he used to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We made a grand final in spite of, not because of, the inexcusable appointments Fagan has made at the club.

Now the chickens are coming home to roost. Screwed by injuries because of a mismanaged fitness program, key players down on confidence and wanting out because of some snake oil 'mental edge' fisaco, and idiotic structures coached by failed coaches that Pyke doesn't seem interested in fixing.

You can bet your last dollar that with Campo and Clarke, and Bargain Bin Ben and Birdman hanging around, this club will not play on GF day for a very, very long time.

We made a grand final in spite of, not because of, the inexcusable appointments Fagan has made at the club. You can bet your last dollar that with Campo and Clarke, and Bargain Bin Ben and Birdman hanging around, this club will not play on GF day for a very, very long time.
Not sure you can make a GF in spite of your coaches, particularly without a top 10 pick on your list. I actually don't think Clarke is that bad...... the others however....

Posted this in the fitness thread, in response to a point that the Craigy/Trigg era may never have really ended. It's also relevant here:

Similar to the notion that the First and Second World Wars were actually one war with a long ceasefire, that the unresolved political tensions were always going to restart the fire. Were the unresolved cultural problems of the AFC (which seem to contribute to a parade of players leaving) always going to lead us back to the Land of Mediocrity?

In my view, the appointments of Walsh, Pyke, Teague and Podsiadly seemed to work. We went from also-rans to finalists, and our forward and backline structures were gradually improving. Walsh famously said that our list profile is poised to realistically challenge in 2017. He was spot on.

We blew that chance on account of certain mental and coaching failures on grand final day. I always feared that was our only shot, for the simple reason that this has been the routine in the AFL for decades: teams that get pumped on grand final day do not go on to win flags. Time has ticked on and that mature list, primed for a flag, is getting old.

Camporeale and Clarke were there like stalagmites throughout the story. I acknowledge that they must have played at least some positive role in getting us to a grand final. But I don't rate them highly, and neither has ANY of the other seventeen AFL clubs, at any point since 2010.

Now those permanent granite statues, Campo and Clarke, are still there bringing no fresh ideas. You know where the fresh ideas are coming from now? Ben Hart, who we already had in Craig's coaching box, who was essentially sacked from the floundering Nathan Buckley box. Also Brett Burton, essentially sacked from a bottom-2 club, bringing with him a sidekick and a love of weird fitness methods and mental pseudoscience.

These fresh ideas from the best footy minds, poached from the most successful clubs in the land, have really taken us to the next level haven't they?

:thumbsdown:

We made a grand final in spite of, not because of, the inexcusable appointments Fagan has made at the club.

Now the chickens are coming home to roost. Screwed by injuries because of a mismanaged fitness program, key players down on confidence and wanting out because of some snake oil 'mental edge' fisaco, and idiotic structures coached by failed coaches that Pyke doesn't seem interested in fixing.

Reasonable amount of truth to this.

Posted this in the fitness thread, in response to a point that the Craigy/Trigg era may never have really ended. It's also relevant here:

Similar to the notion that the First and Second World Wars were actually one war with a long ceasefire, that the unresolved political tensions were always going to restart the fire. Were the unresolved cultural problems of the AFC (which seem to contribute to a parade of players leaving) always going to lead us back to the Land of Mediocrity?

In my view, the appointments of Walsh, Pyke, Teague and Podsiadly seemed to work. We went from also-rans to finalists, and our forward and backline structures were gradually improving. Walsh famously said that our list profile is poised to realistically challenge in 2017. He was spot on.

We blew that chance on account of certain mental and coaching failures on grand final day. I always feared that was our only shot, for the simple reason that this has been the routine in the AFL for decades: teams that get pumped on grand final day do not go on to win flags. Time has ticked on and that mature list, primed for a flag, is getting old.

Camporeale and Clarke were there like stalagmites throughout the story. I acknowledge that they must have played at least some positive role in getting us to a grand final. But I don't rate them highly, and neither has ANY of the other seventeen AFL clubs, at any point since 2010.

Now those permanent granite statues, Campo and Clarke, are still there bringing no fresh ideas. You know where the fresh ideas are coming from now? Ben Hart, who we already had in Craig's coaching box, who was essentially sacked from the floundering Nathan Buckley box. Also Brett Burton, essentially sacked from a bottom-2 club, bringing with him a sidekick and a love of weird fitness methods and mental pseudoscience.

These fresh ideas from the best footy minds, poached from the most successful clubs in the land, have really taken us to the next level haven't they?

:thumbsdown:

Ben Hart coming back was the most inexplicable of all of them.

It shows the club has zero idea of how they are viewed from the outside.

That’s why the Walsh appointment was so significant. He could see exactly what was wrong with the club because he wasn’t close to it, in fact I get the feeling he didn’t like what he saw very much from the outside looking in.

Ben Hart coming back was the most inexplicable of all of them.

It shows the club has zero idea of how they are viewed from the outside.

That’s why the Walsh appointment was so significant. He could see exactly what was wrong with the club because he wasn’t close to it, in fact I get the feeling he didn’t like what he saw very much from the outside looking in.
He could see it because he had seen in at Port

i totally agree with your comment the issue is keeping good players on the Park. My original comment was about a poster blaming all our problems in the midfield on Campo.

You can bet your last dollar that with Campo and Clarke, and Bargain Bin Ben and Birdman hanging around, this club will not play on GF day for a very, very long time.

same thing was said when Sanderson was coaching with campo and Clarke as Assistants.

What's different is that our players have been crucified by injury all pre-season and season proper. Last year we got lucky until the end of the year with only really fringe players being injured.

Our midfield structures are terrible, our fitness is woeful, and we lost our best assistant coach and fitness guy due to differences of opinion with a woefully underqualified head of fitness and footy manager.

the reason you think Teague was the best assistant coach was because he coached the forwards which was consider our main strength.

Based on?

He does seem very keen on career progression but is there any specific?
I like Fagan but make no mistake, he's a career sports administrator. The Adelaide Football Club isn't the last step in his journey. I think he does the right thing by putting people in seats and allowing them to do their job.

His test will be in his assessment of their performance and whether he has the courage of his convictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back