Andrew McGrath v Hugh McCluggage

• Andrew McGrath

Votes: 80 32.7%
  • Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 165 67.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The battle of the Mac's

Based on current output who do you see as the better player long term?

On current output McGrath is a long long way ahead. McCluggage hasn't really achieved much to date.

Current output is just one way of assessing who will be the better player long term, but it is not very accurate when we have 2 very young players. It takes time for many of these kids to progress to the next level. People would have laughed at a young Josh Kelly if we tried to assess him based on his current output during season 2 of his career.

I think McGrath will be one of the best players in the comp in due course but its far too early to write off McCluggage. McGrath was just a lot more ready for the rigours of AFL footy.

Mccluggage has been the better of the two so far in 2018, starting to really have an impact when he gets the footy.

Mcgrath had a much better 2017.

Mccluggage has been the better of the two so far in 2018, starting to really have an impact when he gets the footy.

McGrath has been better last year and this year, he's better 1 on 1 and applies heaps more pressure defensively, also shuts down opponents, while getting more possessions compared to McCluggage.
McCluggage has heaps of time on his hands to catch up when he fills out and becomes stronger in the contest, only a matter of time before McCluggage becomes a very offensive dangerous forward mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

YMC6hSf.gif

McGrath has been better last year and this year, he's better 1 on 1 and applies heaps more pressure defensively, also shuts down opponents, while getting more possessions compared to McCluggage.
McCluggage has heaps of time on his hands to catch up when he fills out and becomes stronger in the contest, only a matter of time before McCluggage becomes a very offensive dangerous forward mid.

Very harsh call to say Mcgrath applies more pressure defensively.

Mccluggage averages equal tackles and more pressure acts than Mcgrath per game this year, it has been an area of significant improvement for him. He's been really impressive so far this year with his pressure acts, team efforts and 1%ers.

Mcgrath averages a couple more disposals than Mccluggage but that's to be expected given their respective positions and the lack of time the ball spends in the Lions forward half.
Mccluggage averages significantly more meters gained, also averages more rebound 50s and inside 50s.

Last edited:

Mccluggage averages equal tackles and more pressure acts than Mcgrath per game this year, it has been an area of significant improvement for him. He's been really impressive so far this year with his pressure acts, team efforts and 1%ers.

Mcgrath averages a couple more disposals than Mccluggage but that's to be expected given their respective positions and the lack of time the ball spends in the Lions forward half.
Mccluggage averages significantly more meters gained, also averages more rebound 50s and inside 50s.

This is interesting when using stats as McCluggage will often be in open space while McGrath will be in someones pocket, lots more pressure when McGrath does find the ball hence so many handballs.
both are excellent young players but also play such opposite styles as McGrath will focus on stopping his opponent and then playing his game, while McCluggage likes to drift forward in space and be an outlier type option for players like McGrath.

But I stand by my opinion that at this early stage in their respective careers McGrath has been the better player, but they are both miles off what they will become so it's pretty insignificant at this very early stage of their careers.

I wish Essendon had both players.

Also no one wanted McCluggage at Essendon more than me, he will just take a bit more time and and will flourish in a team higher up the ladder.

Respective positions? Their heat maps don't look all too dissimilar, McCluggage has picked up the vast majority of his possessions in the defensive half this year. The Melbourne game is the only time he had a greater amount up forward and even then it was only 61%.

Respective positions? Their heat maps don't look all too dissimilar, McCluggage has picked up the vast majority of his possessions in the defensive half this year. The Melbourne game is the only time he had a greater amount up forward and even then it was only 61%.

I think McCluggage getting more ball in the back half has more to do with the team he is in, I have often seen him run into open space in the forward half but his teammates aren't good enough to get the ball in his hands.

Honestly McGrath getting the handball out to McCluggage would be a pretty good sight in red and black, when given time McCluggage has a beautiful kick, just not under the real heat of the contest, but in the heat of the contest is where McGraths hands come to the fore.

The ball is in the Lions defensive half more often than not. Half forwards push back into defence whilst still being forward of the contest. Mcgrath gets most of his possessions out the back of a contest, behind the play. Very different scenarios.

This is interesting when using stats as McCluggage will often be in open space while McGrath will be in someones pocket, lots more pressure when McGrath does find the ball hence so many handballs.
both are excellent young players but also play such opposite styles as McGrath will focus on stopping his opponent and then playing his game, while McCluggage likes to drift forward in space and be an outlier type option for players like McGrath.

But I stand by my opinion that at this early stage in their respective careers McGrath has been the better player, but they are both miles off what they will become so it's pretty insignificant at this very early stage of their careers.

I wish Essendon had both players.

Also no one wanted McCluggage at Essendon more than me, he will just take a bit more time and and will flourish in a team higher up the ladder.
Mccluggage has done well in the contest this year. He's winning the ball himself often. He's actually averaging more contested possesions than Mcgrath.

Back