Andrew McGrath v Hugh McCluggage

• Andrew McGrath

Votes: 80 32.7%
  • Hugh McCluggage

Votes: 165 67.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think McCluggage is clearly ahead on field this year of the three top picks

We honestly need McGrath more though, he is driving training standards and is a genuine leader of the club at 21, Ridley credits pre-season training with McGrath for his rise last year and the young blokes at the club love him.

I think McCluggage is clearly ahead on field this year of the three top picks

We honestly need McGrath more though, he is driving training standards and is a genuine leader of the club at 21, Ridley credits pre-season training with McGrath for his rise last year and the young blokes at the club love him.
I rate McGrath. I think he is a good player. Genuinely think all three of Bombers, GWS and Lions would be very happy with McGrath, Taranto and McCluggage respectively. Just on McCluggage who I obviously watch every week, at this early stage of the season he'd have to be right up there in the Brownlow voting.

I rate McGrath. I think he is a good player. Genuinely think all three of Bombers, GWS and Lions would be very happy with McGrath, Taranto and McCluggage respectively. Just on McCluggage who I obviously watch every week, at this early stage of the season he'd have to be right up there in the Brownlow voting.

Now outright first in the coaches votes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The gap between the two is widening by the week. McLuggage us undoubtedly now a top 5 player in the league. McGrath is not a bad player by any means, but wow, the consistent and quality footy McLuggage is playing every week is astonishing.

Even as a big fan of his, the stuff he's doing is exceeding my high expectations. The way he weaves through traffic is awesome, but to hit targets while doing so is something else.

The gap between the two is widening by the week. McLuggage us undoubtedly now a top 5 player in the league. McGrath is not a bad player by any means, but wow, the consistent and quality footy McLuggage is playing every week is astonishing.

One of the issues of having pick 1 teams are often compelled to make the safe choice,the player with the highest floor.

Yep .... you just want a nailed on very very good player, and miss an absolute gun from fear of screwing it up like the saints did

Yep .... you just want a nailed on very very good player, and miss an absolute gun from fear of screwing it up like the saints did

I don’t think that’s what Essendon thought process was.

I have a hard time thinking that within the first 15-20 selections most clubs aren’t just going what they believe the best available talent is.

How else could you justify any other process to pick at the pointy end of the draft?

Just thinking aloud about picking a McGrath type opposed to a Bolton type discussed above ..... Bolton might end up a better more damaging player but it’s a risk

Always wanted us to draft McCluggage and I do think he will end his career the better player.
McGrath is what we needed though, Heppell at the time was a very similar player and we were a one paced midfield.
McGrath is the leader the club needs though, he will be VC to Merrett's C once Heppell moves on.
I can't help but think Pidge has gotten slower since he was drafted.

Back