Andy Maher - Sorry but I don't get it

Remove this Banner Ad

He goes easy on Carl Lewis though?

Marion jones?

la la la la not listening!!!!

perhaps true though. never noticed.

the world we live in today is like that. we see it mostly with footy of course. incidents involving grog, drugs (except essendon)...afl people talk about it but when it happens in other codes there's just a bit more venom in the tone, and shake of head.

I like that leach is able to talk about football/soccer as its A-league season, as well as the northern hemisphere leagues too

maher crapped on about soccer also and it was one of his worst features. seriously tune out when they start crapping on about the a league which is genuinely shite comp.

time i think to listen to music i think if they will focus on soccer.

maher crapped on about soccer also and it was one of his worst features. seriously tune out when they start crapping on about the a league which is genuinely shite comp.

SEN Classic Rock radio?

"In the white room
With black curtains
In the station..."

Leach will be good in the arvo, perfectly suited to him. Doesn't have to try play the fool, will be able to talk different sports and actually has the balls to challenge people he interviews with hard questions unlike the others who will all be AFL boys club cheerleaders.

Breakfast will be rubbish, Rompingwins and Lyon will both want to be top dog, Watson adds nothing and Sam McClure is a w***er who thinks his s**t doesn't stink.

I do hope footy fix returns to how it was year before last as that was fantastic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

maher had a good rapport with fellas like davoutovic, garb, CB Diego and foxsports people who talked about soccer. Though mahers questioning was always his weak point which extended to soccer also.

the A league is a great competition and provides sports lovers with a football code to follow where you can turn up wearing shorts and t shirt

Any show becomes less enjoyable when Ralph is present. Although KB is all over Ralph's complete lack of courage - in fact given KB's accurate trolling of his guests I have little doubt that his producer/researcher reads BF.

Personally enjoy and agree with Culbert's uncompromising view on drug cheats - as most fair minded sports fans would....

Except, Culbert is a hypocrite - His company Jump Media organises events for the UCI and the IAAF who are well known for harboring many 'drug cheats.' You are typical of the cabal who believes anything they see, hear or read.

Except, Culbert is a hypocrite - His company Jump Media organises events for the UCI and the IAAF who are well known for harboring many 'drug cheats.' You are typical of the cabal who believes anything they see, hear or read.

#standbyhird

Cabal LOL

maher had a good rapport with fellas like davoutovic, garb, CB Diego and foxsports people who talked about soccer. Though mahers questioning was always his weak point which extended to soccer also.

the A league is a great competition and provides sports lovers with a football code to follow where you can turn up wearing shorts and t shirt

personally think its one of the most overrated soccer comps going around. very slow with limited skills and really unwatchable if you have got used to watching the premier league - not that im saying that is the best comp by the way.

its one reason we aussie rules followers are spoilt. We get to see the best in the world every week and if the weather allows we to can wear shorts and t shirts.

for what its worth never minded mahers questioning and is certainly better than leach.

personally think its one of the most overrated soccer comps going around. very slow with limited skills and really unwatchable if you have got used to watching the premier league - not that im saying that is the best comp by the way.

its one reason we aussie rules followers are spoilt. We get to see the best in the world every week and if the weather allows we to can wear shorts and t shirts.

for what its worth never minded mahers questioning and is certainly better than leach.

:drunk: Not that hard considering we are the only country that plays it professionally

It's an interesting take, one which is shared by many that A-League football is s**t as it is not the best in the world in its sport. Well yes that is correct, it isn't the best in the world. Would you say the same about the MLS? Or the SPL, Serie A?

did you ever watch Division 1 football, or even todays Championship football?

It's an interesting take, one which is shared by many that A-League football is s**t as it is not the best in the world in its sport. Well yes that is correct, it isn't the best in the world. Would you say the same about the MLS? Or the SPL, Serie A?

did you ever watch Division 1 football, or even todays Championship football?

when i watch soccer its only ever the good comps. Generally premier, but also seriea a, la liga,champions league and only the knockout stages of the world cup etc. if you have limited time to watch games i want to watch the best even if its not live.

in other countries which soccer is their primary game but are not a grade league then this flight to top quality wont happen to the same degree as is developing nations. But who knows what will happen if they eventually introduce a European super league or leagues.

when i watch soccer its only ever the good comps. Generally premier, but also seriea a, la liga,champions league and only the knockout stages of the world cup etc. if you have limited time to watch games i want to watch the best even if its not live.

in other countries which soccer is their primary game but are not a grade league then this flight to top quality wont happen to the same degree as is developing nations. But who knows what will happen if they eventually introduce a European super league or leagues.

Your take is fair enough in my opinion. Everyone's different, and much depends on background etc. For example as a former soccer player I enjoy watching amateur leagues in Vic, attending games and taking interest in state leagues. But to the average joe (not as entrenching in the sport like yourself) that is not on. Essentially if you really love a sport you will watch any level of it.

can I ask how the a league is overrated?

Your take is fair enough in my opinion. Everyone's different, and much depends on background etc. For example as a former soccer player I enjoy watching amateur leagues in Vic, attending games and taking interest in state leagues. But to the average joe (not as entrenching in the sport like yourself) that is not on. Essentially if you really love a sport you will watch any level of it.

Basically playing standard. Ive heard commentators and friends wax lyrical about how good a standard it is and i personally cant see it.

I love sport in general and being a Melbourne would gladly support a game i have an interest in if its a good standard. The A league has just never done it for me and if truth be told I would much rather the old NSL for the cultural diversity it allowed people to experience. Not saying the NSL was a better standard, because it was even worse, however i found it 100% more enjoyable to watch a game.

For me i get the feeling the A League is more style and hype than real substance. But in fairness im not a student of the game so perhaps i miss some of its special nuances.

Last edited:
Even though this is not my conversation. I'll put this to you as someone who infrequently watches full games.

Firstly, it is distinctly slower.

But what I've found is the big difference. After a series of passes in the opposition's half. When seeing the defence swarm towards a player, leaving holes/lanes open for an oncoming teammate. The PL player is aware of the space and passes the ball there for the teammate to continue the attack. The A-League player in a similar situation still holds up the ball and the opportunity then disappears.

Am I talking crap? I don't think so. But maybe a hardened fan may think I do?

Even though this is not my conversation. I'll put this to you as someone who infrequently watches full games.

Firstly, it is distinctly slower.

But what I've found is the big difference. After a series of passes in the opposition's half. When seeing the defence swarm towards a player, leaving holes/lanes open for an oncoming teammate. The PL player is aware of the space and passes the ball there for the teammate to continue the attack. The A-League player in a similar situation still holds up the ball and the opportunity then disappears.

Am I talking crap? I don't think so. But maybe a hardened fan may think I do?

you do generally talk crap yes :D ;)
The pace is slower, slower than Serie A even. As for your example, it comes down to skill. The average a league player doesnt have the skill to do what is seen on tv and adored by the average joe from the PL. Also, in any sport when its the cream of the crop all players are of excellence. Think about state of origin, passes are accurate and as a result players can make runs, create space and trust their skills. Compare it to state footy, or local footy you dont have that, the playmaker is able to create but players around him/her cannot get the ball put out in front of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back