FTA-TV Anthony Hudson ruins another great moment in footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Surely I can’t be the only one who is sick of his childish screaming hogging up every great moment that is broadcasted on Foxtel when he’s in the box.

Let’s not ignore the fact that he ruined yet another great moment when Tippa kicked the winning goal against North today. If you thought the calling of Tippa's third goal - the dancing one - was awful, this is infinitely worse. The commentary box when Huddo isn't it genuinely can't be told apart from a group of drunks at the local pub. Insanely annoying childish screeching does not equal good commentary.

This is totally unwatchable.

This all started with his putrid rendition of "Thirteeeeeeen!!" when Franklin booted 13 goals in 2012 which people for some reason loved, even though it is simply the most overrated call of all time (it's mindless and irritating. His calling of Buddy's 12th goal is far superior). Huddo steals the moment every time when he should let the moments speak for themselves. Letting the moments do the talking was what Dennis and Sandy used to do and that's why they're the best of all time.

Huddo loves the sound of his own voice but if you're reading this Huddo, your voice sucks. Stop it. Let the moments speak for themselves. You're not an 11 year old at the game nor are you a headless unit at the Crown sports bar - behave like a normal commentator.

For those that are familiar with him, Huddo is just a 45 year old Bev from the Bev show

Surely I'm not alone on this.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Surely I can’t be the only one who is sick of his childish screaming hogging up every great moment that is broadcasted on Foxtel when he’s in the box.

Let’s not ignore the fact that he ruined yet another great moment when Tippa kicked the winning goal against North today. If you thought the calling of Tippa's third goal - the dancing one - was awful, this is infinitely worse. The commentary box when Huddo isn't it genuinely can't be told apart from a group of drunks at the local pub. Insanely annoying childish screeching does not equal good commentary.

This is totally unwatchable.

This all started with his putrid rendition of "Thirteeeeeeen!!" when Franklin booted 13 goals in 2012 which people for some reason loved, even though it is simply the most overrated call of all time (it's mindless and irritating. His calling of Buddy's 12th goal is far superior). Huddo steals the moment every time when he should let the moments speak for themselves. Letting the moments do the talking was what Dennis and Sandy used to do and that's why they're the best of all time.

Huddo loves the sound of his own voice but if you're reading this Huddo, your voice sucks. Stop it. Let the moments speak for themselves. You're not an 11 year old at the game nor are you a headless unit at the Crown sports bar - behave like a normal commentator.

For those that are familiar with him, Huddo is just a 45 year old Bev from the Bev show

Surely I'm not alone on this.

Err yeah you might be alone there. Maybe he's the best commentator out there?

He, Gerard and Bruce are probably the only ones who can string a sentence together to describe something good rather than yelling:

a) The players name ad nauseum
b) "Goodness gracious me", "Boy oh boy", "Didya see that?", the list goes on
c) "That's as good as it gets", "That is perfection"
d) "He's a genius", "He goes BANG"
e) The name of another commentator "Can you believe this, Bristle?", as though you were being forced to watch the match in a bar with a bunch of w***ers who are barely watching the game and can't shut up about themselves.
f) Some contrived crap like "off the deck" or "from the paint", no doubt supposed to make the game sound 'cool'

If he still just annoys you then fair enough, but his calls like the Nick Davis one, Buddy's 13 and tonights were good examples of when a bit of yelling is warranted, I can't stand it when it's an insincere attempt to make the game more interesting than it is.

Edit: Although he's at least articulate and knows the player's names, Bruce still annoys me.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Err yeah you might be alone there. Maybe he's the best commentator out there?

He, Gerard and Bruce are probably the only ones who can string a sentence together to describe something good rather than yelling:

a) The players name ad nauseum
b) "Goodness gracious me", "Boy oh boy", "Didya see that?", the list goes on
c) "That's as good as it gets", "That is perfection"
d) "He's a genius", "He goes BANG"
e) The name of another commentator "Can you believe this, Bristle?", as though you were being forced to watch the match in a bar with a bunch of w***ers who are barely watching the game and can't shut up about themselves.
f) Some contrived crap like "off the deck" or "from the paint", no doubt supposed to make the game sound 'cool'

If he still just annoys you then fair enough, but his calls like the Nick Davis one, Buddy's 13 and tonights were good examples of when a bit of yelling is warranted, I can't stand it when it's an insincere attempt to make the game more interesting than it is.

Edit: Although he's at least articulate and knows the player's names, Bruce still annoys me.
The full volume voice cracks are just awful to listen to and takes the enjoyment out of the moment itself. Triple M uploaded their call of the goal to Facebook and even though you can't see the game on Triple M so the commentators have to tell you what's happening, Nathan Brown still managed to call the moment infinitely better than Huddo because he kept his composure and didn't turn into a 9 year old in the crowd.

The Nick Davis call was a great one but it was also 14 years ago. There's no call from Huddo in the last 10 years that has made a moment anymore memorable or special than it would have been with BT behind the mic. He's too obsessed with the sound of his own voice.

wagstaff

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 28, 2001
The Sea of Holes
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars, Arsenal
Generally liked Hudson as a caller over the years but when somebody on Twitter observed his penchant for screaming I began to notice it and become irritated by it.

Has he always done this? Don't recall him doing it as much in the 90s & 00s; maybe since the traction his Franklin 13 call got he decided to use it more.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Generally liked Hudson as a caller over the years but when somebody on Twitter observed his penchant for screaming I began to notice it and become irritated by it.

Has he always done this? Don't recall him doing it as much in the 90s & 00s; maybe since the traction his Franklin 13 call got he decided to use it more.
Was very good in his early days on 7 and I liked him on Ten when he wasn’t the star of the show and on a good commentary team. Foxtel makes it all about Huddo and for the last few years, he’s gone from a bit irritating to simply unbearable. I reckon those who continue to rate him as the game’s best caller or thereabouts are hanging off of his stuff from 10 years ago or longer.

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The full volume voice cracks are just awful to listen to and takes the enjoyment out of the moment itself. Triple M uploaded their call of the goal to Facebook and even though you can't see the game on Triple M so the commentators have to tell you what's happening, Nathan Brown still managed to call the moment infinitely better than Huddo because he kept his composure and didn't turn into a 9 year old in the crowd.

The Nick Davis call was a great one but it was also 14 years ago. There's no call from Huddo in the last 10 years that has made a moment anymore memorable or special than it would have been with BT behind the mic. He's too obsessed with the sound of his own voice.
Lost me at triple M commentary. Try ABC.

This thread is merely proof that no matter how good the commentator, someone out there will find cause not to like them. The call was perfectly fine and suited the moment very well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jul 29, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hudson is a very, very good caller, little doubt about that - but those mentioning the screaming are also on the money. It has really become noticeable in the last couple of years and detracts from his very good work. Some of the best moments in footy have the play described and then let the crowd tell the story for 2-3 seconds, as the goal sails through. Not every moment needs a commentator roaring over the top of it.

Oct 23, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Hawks, NY Rangers
The only problem with Hudson is that he barracks for the game, and particularly for an attacking game style, and sounds disappointed by defence. It's like he doesn't realise it's supposed to be a genuine sporting contest, and not outright spectacle.

The best caller on TV right now is probably JB. He has a good voice, knowledge of the main sports, a natural and likeable manner, good sense of humour, appreciation of the players, doesn't make it all about him.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
I'm in agreement with the opinion that Hudson is an excellent caller, but that he turns the volume up way too much. I think he can show the excitement, which is great, with his voice without the scream.
The only truly thing I dislike about his calls is that he always has to stamp his brand on a big call. He has to say something catchy in a big moment. I am sure I am in a minority here when I say I really don't like the 2005 semifinal call. IMO it would have been the perfect call to stop after the second "Nick Davis!" and just left the moment sink in. Keep the focus on electricity. The "I don't believe it!" was okay, but the whole "I see it, but I don't believe it!" was too much. The crowd's going bonkers, the players showing shock, elation. That should be what we remember.
I do think he is one of if not the best top tier caller for footy. Another maybe polarizing thing he does that I do like, is the sigh he gives when a promising passage of play doesn't come off. lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back