Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Collingwood
Confirmed that the Gold Coast training camp will comence from Monday. Supporters can attend an open session from 9.30am on Wednesday 16th Jan at Southport Oval.
Thanks for that that,s just what I was going to ask somebody if they knew whether or not there would be an open session up here,it,s in the diary now thank you.

Sea fog

Club Legend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gosh Tom Mitchell has broken his leg and is expected to be out for the season. Let us hope that we do not suffer anything like this during our training sessions.

jackcass

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Gosh Tom Mitchell has broken his leg and is expected to be out for the season. Let us hope that we do not suffer anything like this during our training sessions.
More contenders chasing players at the mid-season draft. Hopefully we're well along the path to identifying our Murray replacement if that pans out as we expect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jen2310

Club Legend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cricket Australia, GC Suns
Lets see what I remember from this morning.

Everyone, but Jamie Elliot was out there. Even Beams.

Levi Greenwood, Will Kelly, Wells, Langdon, WHE and Crisp were mainly just working by themselves and running up and down the track.

The session was drills, followed by lots and lots of match practice. As in 90% of the session.

Half way through the session, the fire alarm goes off in the glasshouse and we were all told to move further to the grass area. Fire brigade came not too long later. The boys were still training, didn't seem to concern them for the most part. I guess it was nothing serious, as short time later, everyone then went back to work.

Shaz was doing some running also. Followed by some kick to kick with a couple of the other payers. Broomhead did a small amount of running, but didn't do a whole lot today.

Pretty much everyone was wearing their numbers, except for Wells, WHE, Beams and Roughy.

AFL Club
Collingwood
Lets see what I remember from this morning.

Everyone, but Jamie Elliot was out there. Even Beams.

Levi Greenwood, Will Kelly, Wells, Langdon, WHE and Crisp were mainly just working by themselves and running up and down the track.

The session was drills, followed by lots and lots of match practice. As in 90% of the session.

Half way through the session, the fire alarm goes off in the glasshouse and we were all told to move further to the grass area. Fire brigade came not too long later. The boys were still training, didn't seem to concern them for the most part. I guess it was nothing serious, as short time later, everyone then went back to work.

Shaz was doing some running also. Followed by some kick to kick with a couple of the other payers. Broomhead did a small amount of running, but didn't do a whole lot today.

Pretty much everyone was wearing their numbers, except for Wells, WHE, Beams and Roughy.
A little concerning about Elliott.

Black_White

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Collingwood
Sidebottom is a very good runner who at 28 should be at his peak in terms of endurance.
No doubt.
But he has been virtually unchallenged in a decade. Only one man has bested him in recent times.
A decade at the pointy end of any contest just seems unnatural given the nature of our sport.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Sidebottom is a very good runner who at 28 should be at his peak in terms of endurance.
No doubt.
But he has been virtually unchallenged in a decade. Only one man has bested him in recent times.
A decade at the pointy end of any contest just seems unnatural given the nature of our sport.
I found it interesting to see that ex-Pie Josh Smith has won the last two 2km time trials at his new club West Coast, and even equalled the all-time club record for the race. I can't remember exactly how he fared at Collingwood in this event; I'd imagine he would have been up with the leaders but still behind Phillips and Sidebottom. So perhaps it's just a case of Sidebottom (and Phillips) being very good at what they do!

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/video/2019-01-09/smith-claims-2nd-time-trial-crown

Jen2310

Club Legend
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Cricket Australia, GC Suns
I found it interesting to see that ex-Pie Josh Smith has won the last two 2km time trials at his new club West Coast, and even equalled the all-time club record for the race. I can't remember exactly how he fared at Collingwood in this event; I'd imagine he would have been up with the leaders but still behind Phillips and Sidebottom. So perhaps it's just a case of Sidebottom (and Phillips) being very good at what they do!

http://www.westcoasteagles.com.au/video/2019-01-09/smith-claims-2nd-time-trial-crown
Not surprised by that, given he was always up there with Phillips.

End of 2017, for the 2018 pre season Josh came second behind Phillips. In end of 2016, he came 3rd behind Steele.

Seems Josh finished the time trial is under 6 minutes. That's faster than Phillips now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom