Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke to El Capitano briefly today as he was leaving and he said he was leaving early they had a full day of training at the club tomorrow. I presume that some of that may be indoor, but would presume there is some time out on the Oval?

Daniel Wells said he had returned to jogging and would be OK. Looked in OK condition and was friendly.

Asked Adam Treloar when he was back to participating in match sim and he said soon, indicating it was not his hamstrings that were keeping him away from it at present but 'a few other things', "it'll be all good mate".

What do you and Jen have to report Apples? I got there very late but saw you both there as things were wrapping up, but had my son with me and we were headed to the shop to pick up some Christmas items.

Training Report: Monday 17th December 2018
Cloudy but pleasant enough at 20 degrees.
Not Training:
Dayne Beams (gastro)
DeGoey (rested) was upstairs watching from the coaches' box.
Crisp (gym)
Dunn
Sharenberg
Modified Training:
Greenwood, Will Kelly, Goldsack, Maynard

The players were already into running drills by the time I arrived. I stood next to Big Footy correspondent Jen2310n and introduced myself. She had all the latest.

I then spoke to a couple of people on my left. Irish accents I thought. Perhaps these people are Anton Tohill's family, I suggested to Jen. Alas, the accent was Scottish and the lady I spoke to for a while was on holiday from Japan. This is the only time she gets to see the players in the flesh. She also told me she was a Big Footy 'lurker' as was another gent, Michael?, who joined us for a chat. Michael had lived in the US until recently. It was terrific chatting to knowledgable new people who all rely on Big Footy in various ways.

Michael chatted about his favourite posters, among them, Albert, Knightmare, Scodog and BigHorse. I can verify the importance that sites such as Big Footy and Nick's play in the lives of interstate and overseas Magpies, and it was reinforced again today.

It was a fairly light session, but of most interest was the computerised Beep Test. The playing group was divided into two groups.

Group 1 was given a trial run listening to the computer as it gave instructions. Basically, the players took off on the beep, ran approx 20 metres to a line (trying to beat the beep) and back to the start in 11 secs. The computer then changed the times and recovery time.

Group 1 was: Sier, Howe, Roughead, Pendles, Mihocek, Lynch, Adams, Madgen, Moore, Grundy, Tohill, Cox
As the going got tougher, coaches signalled players to be eliminated.
One by one the players fell by the wayside until suddenly only three remained: Mihocek, Howe and Pendlebury.
Then Pendles and Checkers were left to battle it out. Pendles was the last man standing. Great effort from the Captain.

Group 2 watched from the sidelines encouraging the runners until it was their turn.

Group 2: Atu, Isaac, Sidey, Stevo, Flipper, Crocker, Thomas, Appleby, Daicos, Varcoe, Callum Brown, Tyler Brown
They battled it out until only Quaynor, Phillips and Stephenson remained. Isaac fell next leaving Phillips and Stevo to battle it out. I was a little surprised to see Stevo win pretty comfortably. What a star pick-up was this little champ; he just keeps giving!

Some kicking drills and goal kicking drills followed and players gradually left the field. Phillips spent ages chatting to the few fans in attendance. He's so relaxed with all comers is Flipper. I'm really impressed with this skill he has to make supporters feel special. Coxy and Grundy spoke to supporters too.

A couple of ladies who never miss a session, were there handing out Christmas cards to every player. One even tracked down Crispy in the cafe! What passion.

Jen told me that Brodie Grundy said they would be back on the track for their last session early on Tuesday.

Albert and Jen, please feel free to add anything you noticed from this morning.
Crispy Christmas Card.jpg IMG_2113.JPG

Training Report: Monday 17th December 2018
Cloudy but pleasant enough at 20 degrees.
Not Training:
Dayne Beams (gastro)
DeGoey (rested) was upstairs watching from the coaches' box.
Crisp (gym)
Dunn
Sharenberg
Modified Training:
Greenwood, Will Kelly, Goldsack, Maynard

The players were already into running drills by the time I arrived. I stood next to Big Footy correspondent Jen2310n and introduced myself. She had all the latest.

I then spoke to a couple of people on my left. Irish accents I thought. Perhaps these people are Anton Tohill's family, I suggested to Jen. Alas, the accent was Scottish and the lady I spoke to for a while was on holiday from Japan. This is the only time she gets to see the players in the flesh. She also told me she was a Big Footy 'lurker' as was another gent, Michael?, who joined us for a chat. Michael had lived in the US until recently. It was terrific chatting to knowledgable new people who all rely on Big Footy in various ways.

Michael chatted about his favourite posters, among them, Albert, Knightmare, Scodog and BigHorse. I can verify the importance that sites such as Big Footy and Nick's play in the lives of interstate and overseas Magpies, and it was reinforced again today.

It was a fairly light session, but of most interest was the computerised Beep Test. The playing group was divided into two groups.

Group 1 was given a trial run listening to the computer as it gave instructions. Basically, the players took off on the beep, ran approx 20 metres to a line (trying to beat the beep) and back to the start in 11 secs. The computer then changed the times and recovery time.

Group 1 was: Sier, Howe, Roughead, Pendles, Mihocek, Lynch, Adams, Madgen, Moore, Grundy, Tohill, Cox
As the going got tougher, coaches signalled players to be eliminated.
One by one the players fell by the wayside until suddenly only three remained: Mihocek, Howe and Pendlebury.
Then Pendles and Checkers were left to battle it out. Pendles was the last man standing. Great effort from the Captain.

Group 2 watched from the sidelines encouraging the runners until it was their turn.

Group 2: Atu, Isaac, Sidey, Stevo, Flipper, Crocker, Thomas, Appleby, Daicos, Varcoe, Callum Brown, Tyler Brown
They battled it out until only Quaynor, Phillips and Stephenson remained. Isaac fell next leaving Phillips and Stevo to battle it out. I was a little surprised to see Stevo win pretty comfortably. What a star pick-up was this little champ; he just keeps giving!

Some kicking drills and goal kicking drills followed and players gradually left the field. Phillips spent ages chatting to the few fans in attendance. He's so relaxed with all comers is Flipper. I'm really impressed with this skill he has to make supporters feel special. Coxy and Grundy spoke to supporters too.

A couple of ladies who never miss a session, were there handing out Christmas cards to every player. One even tracked down Crispy in the cafe! What passion.

Jen told me that Brodie Grundy said they would be back on the track for their last session early on Tuesday.

Albert and Jen, please feel free to add anything you noticed from this morning.
View attachment 596309 View attachment 596311
Thanks for the report Apples, out of curiosity who are the first players to fall in the yo-yo groups, and how far did they get?

Did I succeed in being mentioned as one of the least liked posters? Please say yes, indifference would be worse.

I spoke to El Capitano briefly today as he was leaving and he said he was leaving early they had a full day of training at the club tomorrow. I presume that some of that may be indoor, but would presume there is some time out on the Oval?

Daniel Wells said he had returned to jogging and would be OK. Looked in OK condition and was friendly.

Asked Adam Treloar when he was back to participating in match sim and he said soon, indicating it was not his hamstrings that were keeping him away from it at present but 'a few other things', "it'll be all good mate".

What do you and Jen have to report Apples? I got there very late but saw you both there as things were wrapping up, but had my son with me and we were headed to the shop to pick up some Christmas items.

Must have had a snickers bar in your pocket for Wells to say hello.

S
Thanks for the report Apples, out of curiosity who are the first players to fall in the yo-yo groups, and how far did they get?

Did I succeed in being mentioned as one of the least liked posters? Please say yes, indifference would be worse.

Sier dropped out first in the first group, which was a little disappointing. Grundy and then Cox dropped out soon after.

You may have been mentioned PS, but I stopped listening as soon as my name was mentioned. ;)
Does it help if I say you are one of my favourites?

Yes, Sier started out well and was up with them. I had high hopes for him. He suddenly seemed to lose composure and ran out of gas; was seen double over behind the line.

Interesting. He certainly improved his endurance running with his performance in the 2k time trial.

Repeat Sprints is obviously an area of improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was at training for an hour or so today, and was there for the duration of the so-called 'yo yo' test.

When it began I was sceptical, not having seen it before. I even said to a fellow fan, 'this doesnt look too taxing'. And then as it dawned on me what they were actually doing, I updated my assessment to 'OK, its a last man standing' contest.

Interesting that I missed Apple's point about the coaches signalling to players to drop out - I didn't/couldn't see this from my angle, and thought the players were electing to drop out themselves. Outstanding effort by the captain to win his group, and then to see young Stephenson competing with Phillips and winning in the second group. Again, this kid is a beauty.

For those who dropped out, Grundy slipped on a turn, when the surface gave way (after the weekend soaking), and I held my breath as he straightened up - but looked OK.

I haven't heard the Channel 7 report - but for those with a better view of training, who was the player lying on his side for some time, and getting physio treatment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back