Multiplat Are games getting worse?

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
As the title states. Are games getting worse these days or are we just more critical of them? Seems like almost almost every new release is riddled with bugs and glitches and is basically an incomplete version. Seems like we have to wait weeks, even months for a game to be patched up before it's in a fully playable state.

I've not bought a new release game for years now as the chances of encountering a game breaking glitch is just too high and ruins the experience. (i generally just play single-player games). I'd rather wait for a) the game to run smoothly and bug-free and b) to get it cheaper as I can't seem to justify $100+ for a lot of games these days (with some exceptions - RDR2, GOW etc.)

And don't get me started on the state of sports games! Seems like they have all been stripped back to a bare bones game at some point and then get 1-2 features re-added each year with a roster update and slowly work their way back to a level they were at years ago until a new generation of consoles come out and its back to square one (looking at you EA!)

Maybe we scrutinize every single game to the nth degree now and things that were glitchy in the past never seemed to bother us as much or affect games as much but I feel like that's not true and the quality has gone down. Graphics continue to improve (although some companies still seem to struggle with this) but gameplay and the actual depth and breadth of games seems to have dissipated. Maybe I'm just older and failing to immerse myself as much but feeling very disillusioned with games these days.

Thoughts?

Games aren’t as a good because there’s no incentive to big developers to make them good when they can make more money cutting corners.

EA and Konami aren’t interested in making good soccer games they’re interested in milking as much cash from players in ultimate and my club.

I think the other issue is lazy writing and this goes for movies. There’s no incentive to write a plot semi coherently when you can write pretty much garbage that gets eaten up by the masses.

Gaming peaked for me in 2011 when Skyrim and AFL Live came out.

I would probably sh*t my pants with excitement if I was playing games like we get today when I was a kid.

If anything I would say we are spoilt for choice.
Yeah that is true which is why I sometimes feel we are too critical and pick out every single flaw a game has these days, when back in the day you just enjoyed what you got! But maybe the criticism is justified 🤷‍♂️

What do you base that on? Fortnite?
Every gaming community is full of toxic assholes with unrealistic expectations. If a company doesn't meet those, they cop a ridiculous amount of abuse. Gamers are definitely getting worse.

I feel like publishers are also to blame by putting hard deadlines on games, so they end up getting pushed out before they should.

Every gaming community is full of toxic assholes with unrealistic expectations. If a company doesn't meet those, they cop a ridiculous amount of abuse. Gamers are definitely getting worse.

I feel like publishers are also to blame by putting hard deadlines on games, so they end up getting pushed out before they should.
A tiny loud portion of the gaming community are toxic but you shouldn’t base you opinion of all gamers of today on them.

I think games are less polished than they used to be. Bugs and other stuff are just accepted they can patched after launch. But I think gamer's expectations have also changed. Every game has to be a GOTY contender or it's trash. Anyone can have a YouTube channel or be a reviewer now and can pick apart a game to the nth degree.

There was a time we'd buy the monthly gaming rags and developers were falling over themselves to talk about and reveal their games to build hype. You sort of knew what you were going to get before you bought the game. The game had to be perfect on release too as there was no going back to fix or change things once it went gold. Now everything is shrouded in secrecy. Developers are coy about their games, showing them off only to a small clique of press or only days before release to reviewers. More often than not we are going in blind now so it's more common that games aren't meeting expectations.

/2c

The rate of improvement in games has slowed down over the last couple of years, whether this is a creative issue, hardware issue or financial issue I'm not sure

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Nah there is so many amazing indie games out there it's not even funny, even none mainstream stuff has a lot of gems. For example Hades is something I would of never looked twice at, till I got urged to buy it, now it's probably a top 5 game of all time for me. There is lots out there, just need to widen your scope

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Games are like music, the pool of genuine creativity gets shallower over time.

For all the 8K graphics and amazing processing power in the world there won't be another first side scroller, first FPS, first 3D game etc.
First hollo game, first mind game, first realistic/true VR all to come.

Agreed OP. Most new games are crap, buggy and boring as batshit.

Where’s the next Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Witcher, GTA type of game? These type of games are getting rarer and I have very little faith that future games of this kind will be any good, if/when they eventually come out.

Game companies seem to be hiring a new generation of developers that are too ignorant to care about what came before, barely competent at their positions and couldn’t name a classic game if you held a gun to their heads. When their gaming education is watching let’s plays and playing Fortnite, the future does not look very bright for gaming.

GetOffMyLawnClintEastwood.gif

Games are either lovingly crafted by small indie teams or big budget movie type deals now.
On the rare occasion a new game/genre breaks through but most are now remastered/rehashed/recycled games that will ensure they will reach minimum sales targets to fund the next venture.
The new GTA release is a classic example of a crappy cash grab.
There's still plenty of friendly gamers out there if you look hard enough.

images

You need to consider that games are also extremely more complex these days. There's only so many ways a 2D sidescroller or top down adventure game can break compared to a massive open world RPG.

I would probably sh*t my pants with excitement if I was playing games like we get today when I was a kid.

If anything I would say we are spoilt for choice.

Agreed. Showing my age but I remember shitting my pants when I first played Uridium on the C64.

Games are still good but every time there is a break out hit, the industry falls in line and starts making copies.

I love them but how many games are just Souls clones these days. Personally I think 3D platformers are severely under made. Every time they come out it's sequel.

True innovation is reserved to the indies.

Games are certainly coming out worse in quality due to the fact that they can get away with it due to most households having consoles connected to the net. Back in the day, you had to make the game complete because if it wasn't, people wouldn't buy it. I agree with the $100 games. I rarely buy these on day 1 and if I do, I go to Big W or Kmart.

But all developers are finding ways to get money.. Season passes, Loot crates (or game currency) where you can spend real money for fake money to buy stuff that is in the game but hidden behind pay walls or have a very little chance of dropping. 2K sports are notorious for this as they give you so little of the VC in the game that it almost forces you to buy or grind 24/7.

We are seeing less and less of the big name games like Fallout and Skyrim, GTA and RDR because players are wanting online and we are seeing that becoming evident in the amount of CoD type games out there.

RDR 2 had online and pumping that out. Bethesda released Fallout 76 and won't be releasing a new Fallout for another 3 years minimum as they make money from the Atom shop items they are pumping out (re-skins of in game junk) that they push out each week. Elderscrolls online is going well and while people pay for Skyrim on every platform, why would they release a new one anytime soon?

Sports game are just... well re-releases of old gen but with new rosters. What is there to make different?

Give me an online WoW for PS5 or a FABLE like online game..

Games are certainly coming out worse in quality due to the fact that they can get away with it due to most households having consoles connected to the net. Back in the day, you had to make the game complete because if it wasn't, people wouldn't buy it. I agree with the $100 games. I rarely buy these on day 1 and if I do, I go to Big W or Kmart.

But all developers are finding ways to get money.. Season passes, Loot crates (or game currency) where you can spend real money for fake money to buy stuff that is in the game but hidden behind pay walls or have a very little chance of dropping. 2K sports are notorious for this as they give you so little of the VC in the game that it almost forces you to buy or grind 24/7.

We are seeing less and less of the big name games like Fallout and Skyrim, GTA and RDR because players are wanting online and we are seeing that becoming evident in the amount of CoD type games out there.

RDR 2 had online and pumping that out. Bethesda released Fallout 76 and won't be releasing a new Fallout for another 3 years minimum as they make money from the Atom shop items they are pumping out (re-skins of in game junk) that they push out each week. Elderscrolls online is going well and while people pay for Skyrim on every platform, why would they release a new one anytime soon?

Sports game are just... well re-releases of old gen but with new rosters. What is there to make different?

Give me an online WoW for PS5 or a FABLE like online game..

Yes Yes and Yes. Corporate fckn greed.

Hmm

The industry is still in better shape than modern music, wrestling and and other entertainment mediums imo.

2022 is actually shaping up to be a pretty stacked year, hopefully the strongest we have had for a while. It bats pretty deep.

I stole this from reddit

63u6gs917cq71.jpg

Something for everyone there I reckon

About half of that list catches my attention. There is some real potential there.

I don't think games are getting worse generally (at least on PC/Console, mobile gaming is another story completely), I think people are getting worse. Expectations are through the roof, outrage is monetized, and cancel culture is everywhere.

Years ago people would pick up a AAA game and play it, if it sucked then so be it, if it had issues people would wait for it to be patched, if it was good, awesome.

These days campaigners hype the s**t out of it, people with too much money do game "builds", people have their own personal wishlists about what the game should be and call it a failure when it's not that, if there's a mention (or lack of) of anything LGBQTI or animal rights related there will be some whinge in the media, there are monetized livestreams of it being played or even of just people reacting to it, any day one issues means it's a POS that should never have been released and if it gets delayed then the devs are s**t who need to do better, etc.

Yeah there are examples of games getting worse, there's too much pay-to-win and lootbox type stuff, but people are also stupid enough to pay for it. Sports games used to be sports games, not card collecting/buying games, and global ladders mean people are too obsessed with avoiding losses/kills instead of playing the game.

Games don't suck, people do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back