Are we any chance of getting pick #1 in GWS mini draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

DANGERZONE123

Team Captain
Jul 6, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Has there been any news on Adelaide's behalf that we are considering going for a pick in the mini draft or is it all speculation and wishful thinking by Adelaide supporters on Bigfooty?

Also, with the unlikely hood of GWS accepting pick #4 from GCS due to lack of a real need for it, is there any real chance of us securing the #1 pick in the mini draft with our Davis compo and perhaps a player (maybe Armstrong if he doesn't matter where he goes, as long as it is in NSW?)

On the other hand, powerhouse clubs such as Collingwood, and clubs that want O'Meara (ie. WCE and FREO), they are going to offer up a lot for a pick, are we even a chance to get a pick at all?

What are your thoughts on our situation?

We have openly said that we would be interested in trading for a pick but GWS were unreasonable in their demands.

Whether we get any picks or not will depend on what other clubs are willing to offer and I suspect that the clubs will not accept GWS' outrageous demands.

GWS will come in asking for the world but won't get that. They gain absolutely nothing by not trading the picks because they can't use them themselves.

Its an interesting one. Personally I would think GWS would be far more interested in our Davis compo pick than pick 4 this year. Also depends on what players are offered up are offered up by other clubs. I hope we are all over this opportunity and don't lump it in the "too hard" basket and let other clubs gain a leg up.

We have openly said that we would be interested in trading for a pick but GWS were unreasonable in their demands.

Whether we get any picks or not will depend on what other clubs are willing to offer and I suspect that the clubs will not accept GWS' outrageous demands.

GWS will come in asking for the world but won't get that. They gain absolutely nothing by not trading the picks because they can't use them themselves.

I read somewhere that GWS had to use the 4 picks over the 2 year window. So if they don't get what they want this year, and not use any, some club is going to get a pick #3 or #4 next year pretty cheap.

With at least 3 players being traded out (potentially for draft picks), a band 2 compo pick and a top 10 pick, we should have the 'chips' to be in the race.

But it would take a massive move to get him... just seems out of character for this club.

With at least 3 players being traded out (potentially for draft picks), a band 2 compo pick and a top 10 pick, we should have the 'chips' to be in the race.

But it would take a massive move to get him... just seems out of character for this club.

I get the feeling from the smugness of Smarts face that the club has recently acquired a bulk lot of cahoonies at below cost and we are going to see some more ballsy moves in the future. I think we are done playing nice.

Given the price that GWS are supposedly asking, I'd say there's a 95% chance that we won't be trading for a mini-draft pick at all, let alone giving up enough to obtain the #1 pick.

I'd be surprised and bitterly disappointed if we were to offer up anything more than the Davi$ compensation pick. I have no objection at all to giving up that pick, but that's the highest price we could/should be prepared to pay. I sincerely doubt that this would be even close to matching what GWS are looking for.

Given the price that GWS are supposedly asking, I'd say there's a 95% chance that we won't be trading for a mini-draft pick at all, let alone giving up enough to obtain the #1 pick.

I'd be surprised and bitterly disappointed if we were to offer up anything more than the Davi$ compensation pick. I have no objection at all to giving up that pick, but that's the highest price we could/should be prepared to pay. I sincerely doubt that this would be even close to matching what GWS are looking for.
GWS might be asking a heck of a lot but sooner or later they will realise that no club will given them what they are asking for. Honestly, they have absolutely nothing to gain if they don't trade!

If we want it we will get it. I get the feeling we as a club are effing peeved at the situation we are in (our fault, mostly) and are finally ready to play hardball. We will get Kennedy. Wherever my waters are, I can feel it there.

It's pretty soon, right?
The mini-draft is expected to be held toward the end of this year's trade week, which starts on Monday October 10 and finishes the following Monday.
So far I think GWS have priced themselves out of the market, compo pick may be a fair price to pay but it doesn't help GWS this year. Armstrong plus a 2nd/3rd round pick may get us a pick.

So far I think GWS have priced themselves out of the market, compo pick may be a fair price to pay but it doesn't help GWS this year. Armstrong plus a 2nd/3rd round pick may get us a pick.
Armstrong plus 2nd/3rd round pick would have them laughing maniacally in our faces.

Armstrong has little to no trade value at all. A 2nd round pick in this draft has almost no value - and a 3rd round pick is about as useful as **** on a bull.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you consider WHO we would get in the mini-draft, its fair that GWS ask a lot. We are all trying to get a potential Top 10 draftee in 2012, for a fringe player/2nd round in 2011. Imagine if we offered Armstrong/R2 to Sydney for their R1 pick.. laughed out of the room.

If we can get pick 18 for Gunston, I'd be quite happy to trade that pick to GWS for Pick 1/2 in the mini-draft?

In effect, we would end up with 3 first-round picks from 2012... because we'd get Kennedy this year (who can't play til 2012), and then in 2012, we'd have Pick 4 (from finishing low) & Pick 5 (Davis compo).

Grab back the Bock pick, and 2013 has massive upside

If you consider WHO we would get in the mini-draft, its fair that GWS ask a lot. We are all trying to get a potential Top 10 draftee in 2012, for a fringe player/2nd round in 2011. Imagine if we offered Armstrong/R2 to Sydney for their R1 pick.. laughed out of the room.

If we can get pick 18 for Gunston, I'd be quite happy to trade that pick to GWS for Pick 1/2 in the mini-draft?

In effect, we would end up with 3 first-round picks from 2012... because we'd get Kennedy this year (who can't play til 2012), and then in 2012, we'd have Pick 4 (from finishing low) & Pick 5 (Davis compo).

As this is a shitty draft, GWS will be looking for future picks. I doubt they would even consider pick 18.. They would want our Compo pick maybe with Maric or Armstrong.....

We are all trying to get a potential Top 10 draftee in 2012

Exactly. In what other circumstances would we be discussing getting a Top 10 (maybe even Top 5) draft pick for anything other than one of our best players? Clubs are very reluctant to trade Top 10 picks.

It seems to me that this mini draft offers way better value than ordinary trading, and if that's right, we should be doing what we can to get into the draft. I'd happily put Knights, DMac, Tambling, Henderson, and Douglas on the table.

Really talented players don't fall off trees and we are crying out for a certified premium player. If we can get one for cheap, we should do it.

I know nothing about DRAFT rules

Could we trade Gunston to Nth Melb for Pedersen and Campbell but in the trade
Pedersen agrees to go to GWS
so with Davis and Pedersen and Armstrong going to GWS
we ask for either pick 1, 2, or 3 in the rookie draft and, pick 5 in the N/Draft

Then Adelaide Gets a Quick crumbing forward (Campbell) plus 2 good picks in
the 2 drafts

It doesn't really make much sense for GWS to play hardball on this one though. It's not as though they get to keep the players if no trade goes through. What they should be doing is making it as easy as possible for other clubs to nominate offers, so they can entertain the best offers of 17 clubs and make their selections.

If nobody puts in a bid we may as well offer something small and take top pick. The alternative would be for GWS to get absolutely nothing. Of course, this won't happen, and the clubs will put in reasonable bids.

I know nothing about DRAFT rules

Could we trade Gunston to Nth Melb for Pedersen and Campbell but in the trade
Pedersen agrees to go to GWS
so with Davis and Pedersen and Armstrong going to GWS
we ask for either pick 1, 2, or 3 in the rookie draft and, pick 5 in the N/Draft

Then Adelaide Gets a Quick crumbing forward (Campbell) plus 2 good picks in
the 2 drafts

I don't believe we can trade rookie selections. Not sure why we would anyway, better to go for a third rounder or something, it's earlier.

So your trade for us is:

Adelaide give: Armstrong
Adelaide gain: Pick 5 in the N/D, some late pick, and Campbell?

I'm sure you understand this is a touch unrealistic. GWS don't have to give us anything for Davis, we've already received our compensation for that, such as it is.

GWS want a player that ranks in the top ten at which ever club wants the picks. How many clubs might offer that up. Remember these 4 kids that will get picked up would be top 10 draft picks in a good draft. I think we will get a pick in the draft. Our compo pick for Davis is worth alot as next years draft is predicted to be a good one. My guess is GWS will take compo picks back from Melbourne, the dogs and us that would give them 4 top 1st rounders next year. They don't care about performing too well next year. As they only drafted kids and will need to develope them more. Add some old has beens for a year like port power guys Cornes Brogan ect.. to be delisted end of year to make way for these draft picks they want back. Either way we got screwed we give Davis (pick 10) and another top ten pick for a top ten pick player. We won't get O'Meara as dees have a pick from Scully worth a heap. Dees will offer both their picks back for 2 picks and dogs and us will be other 2 in mini draft. No point GWS getting players from clubs unless they are guns premiership window won't open for them won't for 4-5 years.

Prediction
Pick #1 - Melbourne (Scully compo pick)
Pick #2 - Adelaide (Davis compo pick + we might be able to throw Armstrong in to get above Dogs.)
Pick #3 - Western Bulldogs ( Ward compo pick)
Pick #4 - Melbourne ( 2nd scully compo pick)

Think the Compo pick would be better suited if we kept it for the 2012 draft. In saying that it all depends on how much we rate Kennedy and co.

Would it be better to offer our likely late first round draft pick (for Gunna) + Armstong to secure this #1 pick in the mini draft....

Going to be a pretty massive trade week for our clubs future thats for sure.

GWS want a player that ranks in the top ten at which ever club wants the picks. How many clubs might offer that up. Remember these 4 kids that will get picked up would be top 10 draft picks in a good draft. I think we will get a pick in the draft. Our compo pick for Davis is worth alot as next years draft is predicted to be a good one. My guess is GWS will take compo picks back from Melbourne, the dogs and us that would give them 4 top 1st rounders next year. They don't care about performing too well next year. As they only drafted kids and will need to develope them more. Add some old has beens for a year like port power guys Cornes Brogan ect.. to be delisted end of year to make way for these draft picks they want back. Either way we got screwed we give Davis (pick 10) and another top ten pick for a top ten pick player. We won't get O'Meara as dees have a pick from Scully worth a heap. Dees will offer both their picks back for 2 picks and dogs and us will be other 2 in mini draft. No point GWS getting players from clubs unless they are guns premiership window won't open for them won't for 4-5 years.

Prediction
Pick #1 - Melbourne (Scully compo pick)
Pick #2 - Adelaide (Davis compo pick + we might be able to throw Armstrong in to get above Dogs.)
Pick #3 - Western Bulldogs ( Ward compo pick)
Pick #4 - Melbourne ( 2nd scully compo pick)

Melb goy two picks for scully but their first is for the first round pick straight after their first pick. This however would only be better than adelaide if they finish lower than us next year. GWS have to make a prediction on who they think will finish lowest. at this stage I think adelaides pick will be worth more

Melb goy two picks for scully but their first is for the first round pick straight after their first pick. This however would only be better than adelaide if they finish lower than us next year. GWS have to make a prediction on who they think will finish lowest. at this stage I think adelaides pick will be worth more

Considering we lost a few more mature players than them, and we finished lower than them, I think that's a safe bet :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back