Opinion Are we on the verge of another period of dominance from teams not based in Melbourne?

Is the AFL about to be dominated by teams based outside of Melbourne?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually it is, if you read the title of the OP about a period of dominance of teams not based in Melbourne.

I happen ro think Freo are as good a chance as any to win a flag in the next 2-3 years, and the Tigers are on the way down (Hopper is a plodder whom Richmond paid way overs for)
I hope you tweet about it then.

If Melbourne clubs are going to reap the financial benefits of being in the heartland that interstate clubs geographically cannot then the soft cap shouldn't be uniformly applied.
What financial benefits does Melbourne get?

The main argument from Vics overwhelmingly is that this is where the members are, so this is where we focus on promoting to get eyeballs, to get more money for the game, subsequently, the big Vic clubs get bigger.
The AFL invests heavily in NSW and QLD to promote the game, as that is where the potential new AFL eyeballs are.
That's fine, that's just economics and as such you shouldn't cap the interstate clubs from spending then if you're not going to fixture them for the opportunity to increase their exposure nationally?
The league has equalisation measures in place to ensure clubs can no longer simply buy flags by having more coaches, more recruiters, more of everything

And yes, we know that is what WA fans think they are entitled too...

Actually it is, if you read the title of the OP about a period of dominance of teams not based in Melbourne.

I happen ro think Freo are as good a chance as any to win a flag in the next 2-3 years, and the Tigers are on the way down (Hopper is a plodder whom Richmond paid way overs for)
FFS EJ. Leave it alone.

What financial benefits does Melbourne get?

The AFL invests heavily in NSW and QLD to promote the game, as that is where the potential new AFL eyeballs are.

The league has equalisation measures in place to ensure clubs can no longer simply buy flags by having more coaches, more recruiters, more of everything

And yes, we know that is what WA fans think they are entitled too...
Mate don't be facetious.

They get the best games, the best timeslots, marquee games (there are minimal interstate marquee games), etc. I cannot emphasise enough that I'm okay with this, as it still brings money to the game. Still, it also brings a disproportionate amount of earning potential with respect to the Vic market, third-party aspects, etc. again so you don't try to twist what I'm saying. I am okay with this.

If certain clubs have to travel less and can earn more money then others should be able to hire more to offset the travel, in the form of doctors, physios etc. Not asking for a free for all lol, if that was the case then West Coast would pretty much win all the time (which more or less was what was happening so there's a reason they brought it in).

Mate don't be facetious.

They get the best games, the best timeslots, marquee games (there are minimal interstate marquee games), etc. I cannot emphasise enough that I'm okay with this, as it still brings money to the game. Still, it also brings a disproportionate amount of earning potential with respect to the Vic market, third-party aspects, etc. again so you don't try to twist what I'm saying. I am okay with this.

If certain clubs have to travel less and can earn more money then others should be able to hire more to offset the travel, in the form of doctors, physios etc. Not asking for a free for all lol, if that was the case then West Coast would pretty much win all the time (which more or less was what was happening so there's a reason they brought it in).
It is very difficult talking to Vic supporters about the facts as they are blind to it.
They have dominated the last decade and are still not happy.

It is very difficult talking to Vic supporters about the facts as they are blind to it.
Some on this thread have been reasonable but a couple would make the Taliban blush in embarrassment

They have dominated the last decade and are still not happy.
Show us a Victorian who is sooking it up like you are?

This whole thread has been about a couple of people having a gigantic cry and it's not Victorians.

I suppose you could say replies to your sooking, but that's really not what you mean is it? or is it?

Non-Vics seethe harder.

We had two years straight of practically NO games in Vic, including finals and the GF, and not a single interstate team made the Grand Final both years.

Don't like it? Start your own league.

"We had two years straight of practically NO games in Vic"

TV not a thing in Vic? Cry me a fvcking river

Your trolling of Richmond is tiresome

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fremantle for me... They have a good defence and midfield. The only thing letting them down is their forward line...
Your right about freos current forward line. It sucks right now.

Yet.... Amiss and Traecy are promising key forwards. Lachie Schulz kicked 30 goals in 2022. Frederick kicked 28 goals.

Nice one.

Did they live further from the office and then complain that is was unfair that they had to travel further to work than everybody else?

Despite knowing exactly where the office was when they joined.

Did they leave and find another company?

Or stay and just continue to annoy everyone saying how far they travel, it aint fair that someone elses desk has a better view, it aint fair that "Carly" gets looked after because customers like her more etc.

Hope for your sake they left
Again.... Your thoughts on GWS giants and gold coast father son picks?

Just like GWS giants and gold coast sun's with their father son picks lol
We're really looking forward to drafting Kai Rischitelli in 2031 as our first ever father-son pick but knowing our luck he'll elect to join the Lions instead and we'll have to wait until 2036 to draft Charlie Swallow. It could legitimately take 25+ years for us to finally get a father-son pick.

I'm glad we have the academy (even though it hasn't been overly fruitful to date) because we'd otherwise be getting completely screwed by not having father-son access like the other 16 clubs in the AFL.

So what about GWS Giants and gold coast sun's?

Fremantle only has had one I can think of. That's Brett Peake son of Brian
I don’t think I claimed they did. My point is that it’s not Victorian clubs getting special deals. Freo get father son access like everyone else I believe and access to some WAFL clubs father sons before a certain year.

Mate don't be facetious.
Who gets the best games? What are they?

What are the best timeslots? Are they the same in ALL markets?? QLD AFL fans, do they want Sat night footy?

Ess and Hawks have pretty ordinary commercial FIXtures in 2023...neither have a Thurs or Fri night slot confirmed.

The Melbourne based clubs, with the exception of Collingwood, all relied on huge AFL $$ in the last decade...especially compared to the WA and SA teams.

If certain clubs have to travel less and can earn more money then others should be able to hire more to offset the travel, in the form of doctors, physios etc.
The teams that have no problem bringing in sponsorship $$ are the WA teams and Sydney based teams.

Melbourne based teams, again apart from Collingwood, struggle.
Not asking for a free for all lol, if that was the case then West Coast would pretty much win all the time (which more or less was what was happening so there's a reason they brought it in).
That is what was happening back prior to 2006 review....the non-Melbourne clubs were spending more money on players and footy departments...it was an arms race, and the only Melbourne based club that could compete was Collingwood.

The main reason that SA and WA based teams dont get as many Friday games is because their crowds dont really receive a boost, they dont have a 100k stadium to fill up.

You have some warped perception that Melbourne clubs are strong and financial powerhouses that dominate sponsor $$, revenue and premierships...just aint reality.

Who gets the best games? What are they?

What are the best timeslots? Are they the same in ALL markets?? QLD AFL fans, do they want Sat night footy?

Ess and Hawks have pretty ordinary commercial FIXtures in 2023...neither have a Thurs or Fri night slot confirmed.
Mate c'mon, Victorian clubs are massively overrepresented on Thursday/Friday night footy. When I'm at football training on Thursday, it's usually Richmond or Carlton that I'm missing out on watching... or unfortunately care about because well that's what's on and the game that opens up the week.

And stop with the FIXture you nuffy, I don't necessarily have anything against the AFL maximising dollars for their teams and subsequently rights.

All our night games start 5:40 (if we even get them) and therefore directly run into foot traffic exiting the city at the same time and public transport becomes an expensive logistical exercise as we're not a dense city like Melbourne, so people ask why? The genuine answer is we need to cater to the Victorians who want to watch on their couch. Nice, again that's where the eyeballs are but lord it's a bit annoying lol.
The Melbourne based clubs, with the exception of Collingwood, all relied on huge AFL $$ in the last decade...especially compared to the WA and SA teams.

Melbourne based teams, again apart from Collingwood, struggle.
Bit biased here mate, Collingwood is not the only financial powerhouse over there.

That is what was happening back prior to 2006 review....the non-Melbourne clubs were spending more money on players and footy departments...it was an arms race, and the only Melbourne based club that could compete was Collingwood.
Since then we've had Victorian dominance. You're proving my point there.

The main reason that SA and WA based teams dont get as many Friday games is because their crowds dont really receive a boost, they dont have a 100k stadium to fill up.
I hadn't thought of this, so that's fair - but circling back to my other point when sitting on the grass stretching at football training - I'm asking what the score is for X game. It's usually the same teams, therefore I'm talking about those teams, and well they come part of the discussion, they get exposure. This doesn't even touch the minimal coverage that Fox Footy the national broadcaster rarely gives other states outside Victoria. So it's not just about crowd numbers!

Again.... Your thoughts on GWS giants and gold coast father son picks?
Any potential would be barely 5 years old...a bit early to have any thoughts.

I do think that Brisbane would be pretty happy with father son and jagging Ashcroft and Fletcher in 2022.

And in the last 5 drafts it is Port Adelaide that have taken the most F&S selections.

Another Melbourne biased rule I guess

Mate c'mon, Victorian clubs are massively overrepresented on Thursday/Friday night footy. When I'm at football training on Thursday, it's usually Richmond or Carlton that I'm missing out on watching... or unfortunately care about because well that's what's on and the game that opens up the week.
10 of 18 clubs are from Vic 56%....so should expect a neutral random fixture to have circa 50-60% of teams being Victorian in those slots.

In 2023, first 15 rounds the breakdown is 58% Vic teams in the Thu/Fri slot.

Hardly massively overrepresented.

If you want to see over-represented, check out nonMelbourne teams finishing top2 at end of H&A season.

Reducing home advantage for a select group of teams only, who would have guessed that the others who retained their home ground advantage would be better off!?
And stop with the FIXture you nuffy, I don't necessarily have anything against the AFL maximising dollars for their teams and subsequently rights.
It is the TV execs that push the agenda of wanting BLOCKBUSTERS.

They want strong performing teams from last year, and some big crowds at the G.
All our night games start 5:40 (if we even get them) and therefore directly run into foot traffic exiting the city at the same time and public transport becomes an expensive logistical exercise as we're not a dense city like Melbourne, so people ask why? The genuine answer is we need to cater to the Victorians who want to watch on their couch. Nice, again that's where the eyeballs are but lord it's a bit annoying lol.
Not just Vic...NSW and QLD too.

You aint going to put a game that starts at 9:40 AEST and miss the national prime time viewing window.
Bit biased here mate, Collingwood is not the only financial powerhouse over there.
Richmond have their s**t together finally (they were selling home games to QLD back in the 2010s)

Geelong are a financial power due to one city and the best stadium deal going

Hawks a power due to Tassie, they only play 13 games in Melbourne now.

The rest are small.
I hadn't thought of this, so that's fair -
It is the entire point of Melbourne ground rationalisation, they want big BLOCKBUSTERS at the G to boost crowds and try and drum up interest for TV.

Just a nonsense to waste the 7pm AEST Friday slot on WA games (as WA fans dont want 5 o'clock starts).

And WA and SA get full houses most home games anyway.

No crowd boost for a Friday night, so why bother?
but circling back to my other point when sitting on the grass stretching at football training - I'm asking what the score is for X game. It's usually the same teams, therefore I'm talking about those teams, and well they come part of the discussion, they get exposure.
This is just your own myth.

Brisbane will be playing Thurs/Fri in 2023 first 15 rounds more than Pies/Ess and Haw combined

In 2022 it was the Dogs who were prime time darlings early.

I assume you arent normally complaining about watching Lions and Dogs games when stretching.

Last edited:
Any potential would be barely 5 years old...a bit early to have any thoughts.

I do think that Brisbane would be pretty happy with father son and jagging Ashcroft and Fletcher in 2022.

And in the last 5 drafts it is Port Adelaide that have taken the most F&S selections.

Another Melbourne biased rule I guess
Didnt Nick Daicos win the rising star in 2022?

Isnt he from Collingwood?

Was he a father son pick as his father was Peter Daicos?

Yep.... thats another Advantage for those Filthy non vic sides

Didnt Nick Daicos win the rising star in 2022?

Isnt he from Collingwood?

Was he a father son pick as his father was Peter Daicos?
Yes Daicos won the rising star.

Another award that WA wowsers think is biased to Melbourne clubs.

It doesnt matter that majority of winners come from non-Melbourne teams.

Back to FS, what are your thoughts that in last 5 drafts it is a non-Melbourne side that has selected the most kids under FS rules? What are your thoughts on Lions getting 2 kids in the top 12 of 2022 through FS, despite finishing top4.

Back