Are we really even ready for any disaster?

Remove this Banner Ad

As someone with high level hunting skills and supreme hand to hand combat capabilities I am waiting for this day to come. Due to covid the last few years I have spent a lot of time in my local area, walking the streets and canvassing where I think the threats for my property will come from.

I have also placed animal traps in sealed containers in strategic locations around the parklands surrounding my premise.

Whilst some may prep by buying up tinned food I haven't as I know I'll be able to just steal from these whimpering bitches at the first sign of trouble.

+ 1. I work in supply planning and the way of thinking before Covid is to run the warehouse stick lean and use lead time to make sure stock arrives just in time. Can see a rewriting of the rule and run with a bit more stock in the warehouse. Will certainly make it job A bit easier
Sounds nice in theory, except unless it's a monopoly business or government run, there's the incentive to still run lean, let others incur extra costs for the majority of times not in disasters and therefore be able to undercut them and make a lot more.

At a bare minimum governments should have stockpiles of PPE and medicines (to a much greater degree then previously). Along with it's not very Green, but as of right now, they should also have a strategic oil reserve here in Australia, so we have at least a month's supply on-shore. Obviously over time the need for this would disappear. Others are governments making sure more in the ADF have truck and forklift licenses, in case they are needed to ship goods in the case of a real s**t show happening.

Food is obviously the key one. Despite panic buying and supply chain shortages of particular items we've not come close to people not being able to get enough. For a world wide disaster (which I'll include a world war in) of the level to have people look fondly on COVID-19 the government should similarly have stockpiles of food that can be stored for years, on hand, such that it alone could feed most for at least 2 - 3 months. If it's food that keeps (for example) say 3 years, then at 2.5 years the government could get that stock out to homeless / 3rd world countries. Keep turning it over every 6 months (so have food that 0, 0.5, 1, 1.5, 2 and 2.5 years old in storage).

Right now people would be willing to take the extra expense to do this, but 10 - 20 years after COVID is over (as in more like the flu, rather than gone), you'd get a government willing to cut the cost to offer tax cuts or more on their pet projects they are sure will win them votes. That'd at least be a start though. Right now it seems few, if any, countries are seriously looking beyond reacting to COVID to be able to handle the next disaster of a similar size, let alone one bigger.

It wouldn't surprise me if this wasn't in SPAM already
In 2022, Earth is overpopulated and totally polluted; the natural resources have been exhausted and the nourishment of the population is provided by Soylent Industries, a company that makes a food consisting of plankton from the oceans.

interest rates likely (should) rise next tuesday, thats gonna be a disaster for some who are overstretched

It will be interesting to watch in the medium term. if we get through covid and return to normal, we will quickly be back into a low interest rate environment.

if we persist in securing our own supply lines globally (EU, US, Oz etc) in the face of war with china, then we will see inflation return for the foreseeable future, result in a significant slow down in global growth and slow down pulling billions out of poverty globally (ie in places like India).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It will be interesting to watch in the medium term. if we get through covid and return to normal, we will quickly be back into a low interest rate environment.

if we persist in securing our own supply lines globally (EU, US, Oz etc) in the face of war with china, then we will see inflation return for the foreseeable future, result in a significant slow down in global growth and slow down pulling billions out of poverty globally (ie in places like India).
Look up super bubble. Lot of pain going forward. In UK many people struggling to buy food.

I am well within my means.$ 75 positive cash flow on current rates on rental property. $100 on my current property if s**t hits the fan. I am tossing up selling up to reinvest later for a gain. But its a risk given i have positive investments.

Look up super bubble. Lot of pain going forward. In UK many people struggling to buy food.

I am well within my means.$ 75 positive cash flow on current rates on rental property. $100 on my current property if sh*t hits the fan. I am tossing up selling up to reinvest later for a gain. But its a risk given i have positive investments.

Long term and as we’ve already seen, our governments inability to manage the economy since 2008 will see the rich get rich and the youth pay for the lifestyle of the old and established

We desperately need a wealth tax, increase GST and vote in an economically responsible government

Long term and as we’ve already seen, our governments inability to manage the economy since 2008 will see the rich get rich and the youth pay for the lifestyle of the old and established

We desperately need a wealth tax, increase GST and vote in an economically responsible government
I'd prefer inheritance taxes. Intergenerational wealth transfer is a bigger problem than people being wealthy themselves.

I'd prefer inheritance taxes. Intergenerational wealth transfer is a bigger problem than people being wealthy themselves.

sadly if you look at the US and the UK it doesn't work. There is no point adopting failed models

So tax on inheritance, gst, fuel excise, land tax. Its basically a double tax.

If anything there should be no income tax, and a staggered gst or wealth tax as PR mentioned.
Why should a swimming pool be taxed the same as a loaf of bread?

Governments need to focus more on innovation and self reliance. Need to build industries in clean energy and recycling. Export gas during the short term.

So tax on inheritance, gst, fuel excise, land tax. Its basically a double tax.

If anything there should be no income tax, and a staggered gst or wealth tax as PR mentioned.
Why should a swimming pool be taxed the same as a loaf of bread?

Governments need to focus more on innovation and self reliance. Need to build industries in clean energy and recycling. Export gas during the short term.
Bread is GST free my dude

Income should be taxed but our system should be more progressive so rich pays more

Landlords shouldn't get a tax break and other fun things

Theyve discovered Volcanic activity underground right through SA and VIC even right through the heart of Melbourne.

Would be amazing to see a full blown volcano burst up through LaTrobe St or something
Uuhhm volcanoes can be quite enormous. If an underground volcanic explosion happened that size it is good night Australia.

Hell across the Tasman one of NZs great lakes (bigger than Port Phillip Bay) is an dormant volcano. (formed by an eruption 1000s of years ago.) That blows and bye bye NZ and maybe our East Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back