Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres no doubt the 'church' sponsored learning and discovery long before it was fashionable.

Weighing against that is the propensity to destroy knowledge they found uncomfortable at the time

Researchers using the sponsorship obviously used codes to get round the censorship where they saw the knowledge was important over politics

What did they destroy / censor ? Not saying they didn’t but Bible fundamentalism is a relatively knew thing born out Protestantism and the need for authority.
I know the church didn’t have any issues with any of Galileo findings .. it was just that it was an unproven theory and he wanted the Bible changed and then basically called the Pope a dick.
I’m guessing things got political when the Reformation got into full swing and the Catholics started panicking; reaching for the Bible and reigning people in . Is this the period of censorship you are talking about?

What’s wrong with researching the correlation between those that score high on the autism spectrum and atheists?
Because you are bashing people with an intellectual disability. I was comparing those who believe in a dogmatic theology with zero evidence with dumb people as we generally use that term to describe people who act that way. As in people who have the ability to reason and make judgements based on what's in front of them choosing a moronic direction.

You're being nasty. Which sort of proves alot of the points people are making here. I know there are many good Christians out there but something tells me you're not one of them

Very interesting!
That a natural normal human faculty, even regularly used in imagination, creativity, work, activity, sport, and communication and is generally extremely positive attribute , cannot apparently be utilized often in such contemplation.
However, those with limited or missing or deficient of such faculty, are somehow more able to accept a vague concept that cannot be visualised.

Which is the handicapped ?
The one with the faculty, or those with no need for it or deficient, and rely on brainwashing and what others have told them?

Of course, there MUST be a universal creative force!
However, it is far too complex for mere humans to pretend they know all, or even much at all, about it.

The study exists. I dunno how sus or otherwise it is.

It's not necessarily about autism or spectrum conditions? It doesnt necessarily talk about the reality or otherwise of god or gods either.

There’s also that study by neuroscience that points towards those that need to visualise to understand have trouble with the God concept because you can’t visualise God etc.? No judgements here just keeping it scientific.
Citation please, I’m more than certain that you’re unable to comprehend most scientific studies and instead pick a minor point that you misread, but treat as confirmation bias!

What did they destroy / censor ? Not saying they didn’t but Bible fundamentalism is a relatively knew thing born out Protestantism and the need for authority.
I know the church didn’t have any issues with any of Galileo findings .. it was just that it was an unproven theory and he wanted the Bible changed and then basically called the Pope a dick.
I’m guessing things got political when the Reformation got into full swing and the Catholics started panicking; reaching for the Bible and reigning people in . Is this the period of censorship you are talking about?

where do i I start? All the knowledge of the Incas mayans and aztecs for a warm up

I’m not here for an argument it just seems as if it’s asking someone to explain the sea is salty water. I was quite balanced in that thy sponsored lots of research too

Because you are bashing people with an intellectual disability. I was comparing those who believe in a dogmatic theology with zero evidence with dumb people as we generally use that term to describe people who act that way. As in people who have the ability to reason and make judgements based on what's in front of them choosing a moronic direction.

You're being nasty. Which sort of proves alot of the points people are making here. I know there are many good Christians out there but something tells me you're not one of them

How am I bashing people with an intellectual disability?
Anyway .. the Gospels and apostolic tradition ... zero evidence ?
I think you are just one of many who come in here for a bit of sky fairy bashing and fall flat on their face .
Chelsea says hi

Last edited:
Some people don’t give the origin of existence any thought and call themselves Atheists. An atheist that has given the origin of existence some thought and has a position has to be a naturalist to still call himself an atheist. Can you say the supernatural is still on the cards I just don’t believe the apostles witnessed it and still be an atheist? Isn’t that just saying your a theist in waiting.
That's a good point, and I'm not sure if there are exceptions.

Many people could be considered theists or atheists in waiting; it's just a matter of their threshold for evidence (or experience) being met and them having the willingness to accept the lifestyle and philosophical changes that go with a changed worldview.

You need to read posts and stop getting wasted. We did all the neuroscience business with sources about a year ago when Snakey Baker was getting his knickers in a knot.
For the new people mate, I recall them being utter bollocks as did every other rational individual.
As for my consumptive business, that’s none of yours, you’d be dead ten times over if you’d stayed up with me til I was 30, now that I’m 50, there’d be a several hundred dead youse.
Just post the bullshit study BT, I need a larf!👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im making the claim there are no gods of any shape of form. As i am making the claim i should justify it shouldnt I? Otherwise i can only conclude that i dont think there are any gods but i have no justification for that assertion?

Note. Not being able to justify there is no gods does not provide justification that there are gods. It simply means we can not make any claim.
Gods are slippery things....they disappear the moment that any means of testing for their existence is produced. ;)

It's far easier to accept the null hypothesis (atheism) as true until proven otherwise, and ask theists to produce evidence for their claims. Personally, I think it requires too much effort to justify the claim that no gods exist until a scientifically falsifiable definition of god is produced.

How am I bashing people with an intellectual disability?
Anyway .. the Gospels and apostolic tradition ... zero evidence ?
I think you are just one of many who come in here for a bit of sky fairy bashing and fall flat on their face .
Chelsea says hi
You're arguing that people who are atheist are likely autistic and therefore that mitigates their view. Could you please come up with some evidence btw rather than just flap your lips?

Gods are slippery things....they disappear the moment that any means of testing for their existence is produced. ;)

It's far easier to accept the null hypothesis (atheism) as true until proven otherwise, and ask theists to produce evidence for their claims. Personally, I think it requires too much effort to justify the claim that no gods exist until a scientifically falsifiable definition of god is produced.
It requires no extra effort at all as the result is drawn from other scientific analysis. The score so far from peer reviewed empirical testing:

phenomena that results from the 4 natural forces: millions.
Phenomena we cant yet explain: tens of thousands.
Phenomena that results from spiritural forces : 0.

That is as overwhelming a proof that you will ever get.

You're arguing that people who are atheist are likely autistic and therefore that mitigates their view. Could you please come up with some evidence btw rather than just flap your lips?

I’m not arguing anything. There is a link between the higher you are on the autism spectrum the greater chance you will be an atheist. You have a google if you like.
Probably goes back to intuitive thought v analytical thought in our survival.

I'm friends with and met many religious church going people over the years and none of them have struck me as being lacking in intelligence, they just have blinkers on and see no need to question their "faith" when it comes to gods.

Atheists/agnostics are harder as far as my personal experience goes, they tend not to broadcast their views on the existence of gods unless it's on forums like this, it would be like going out of your way to let people know that you DON'T collect stamps.

I'm friends with and met many religious church going people over the years and none of them have struck me as being lacking in intelligence, they just have blinkers on and see no need to question their "faith" when it comes to gods.

Atheists/agnostics are harder as far as my personal experience goes, they tend not to broadcast their views on the existence of gods unless it's on forums like this, it would be like going out of your way to let people know that you DON'T collect stamps.

I used to collect stamps and am an atheist

I’m not arguing anything. There is a link between the higher you are on the autism spectrum the greater chance you will be an atheist. You have a google if you like.
Probably goes back to intuitive thought v analytical thought in our survival.
Absolute bullshit and you know it.

Absolute bullshit and you know it.

It isn't so bad, specially not the way BT wants to project atheists. Autism is characterised by lower response to appeals to emotion; this leads to hyper-rationality, literal-mindedness and bias towards scientism. As religion is almost entirely an appeal to emotion, it makes a lot of sense that autism and atheism would be linked.

Also, as autism is such a broad spectrum, to find the link, per se, insulting is just silly. But, religious people......you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back