Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does god create viruses, including the different (evolved) strains of COVID-19?
He certainly allows this fallen race to be subjected to them. Scientific, technological, engineering etc progress has been stunning in many areas, but it can come at a cost. There is no doubt about that.

A historical perspective does not make living through a pandemic easy. But perhaps there is a small comfort in realising we are not the first community to live through such times, and neither will we be the last.

The things we find hard to balance – individual freedoms versus the group, accountability versus blame, science versus personal beliefs – are centuries old and deeply human.

And, like others in centuries past, we too are capable of incredible acts of care and sacrifice for the sake of the sick and vulnerable.

Ah yes, I forgot the old "god moves in mysterious ways" cop out, when cornered thingy
cornered by a loopy question about life on Mars? Think not. The reply is fundamental to belief in God, but you can not accept that.

He certainly allows this fallen race to be subjected to them. Scientific, technological, engineering etc progress has been stunning in many areas, but it can come at a cost. There is no doubt about that.

A historical perspective does not make living through a pandemic easy. But perhaps there is a small comfort in realising we are not the first community to live through such times, and neither will we be the last.

The things we find hard to balance – individual freedoms versus the group, accountability versus blame, science versus personal beliefs – are centuries old and deeply human.

And, like others in centuries past, we too are capable of incredible acts of care and sacrifice for the sake of the sick and vulnerable.
The bible claims that god is the creator of all things. It's heretical to think the devil is even capable of creating viruses. This pandemic is the will of god.

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things".
Isaiah 45:7

It actually doesn’t it ....whatsoever. But if that gives you peace so be it
Of course it does. You may want to spend your entirety being confused about that concept. Meanwhile, you could accept that there is God who has created all things and get on with life in awae and in obedience to Him, which you already do indirectly anyway when you try and live peacefully in this world. Look back over your life and see if there have been periods of turmoil. If you have never had any, great. Watch that space anyway.
If you have never been a believer, interesting. Keep searching.
If you have, like some others here, but think you can do it better solo, your choice. You can always go your own way. But, there may be implications.

The bible claims that god is the creator of all things. It's heretical to think the devil is even capable of creating viruses. This pandemic is the will of god.

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things".
Isaiah 45:7
How do you know man himself did not create the viruses? And if God did, which is possible, what is the message in that for you? That is why I came to this thread in the first place.

Meanwhile, you could accept that there is God who has created all things and get on with life in awae and in obedience to Him, which you already do indirectly anyway when you try and live peacefully in this world.

Why accept something for which is there is no evidence for?

Heaven, Hell, God, Satan and all the beliefs and rituals associated with them - all are the products of man's imagination.

Why accept something for which is there is no evidence for?

Heaven, Hell, God, Satan and all the beliefs and rituals associated with them - all are the products of man's imagination.
You don't accept the evidence of personal experience of countless believers, and you don't respect history. You look around the world we live in, the mad extremes of beauty, peace, disorder and chaos, and you think --random and evolution.. I don't.

How do you know man himself did not create the viruses?
I don't know. Fair point.
And if God did, which is possible, what is the message in that for you? That is why I came to this thread in the first place.
What would the message be to you if I created COVID-19? Would you sing songs about my greatness? Would you proselytize to gain converts for me? While you're considering the offer, I give competitive rates of commission and a flexible working schedule.

You don't accept the evidence of personal experience of countless believers, and you don't respect history. You look around the world we live in, the mad extremes of beauty, peace, disorder and chaos, and you think --random and evolution.. I don't.
Mate, you must be a very slow learner.

1. I just told you that natural selection isn't random.
2. Roy is a history teacher.

Why is Vdubs spending his Sunday morning posting with heathens instead of singing songs about Jesus?
9-11 is our service. Thanks for caring. I'm all fuelled up and ready for witnessing and evangelising.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, you must be a very slow learner.

1. I just told you that natural selection isn't random.
2. Roy is a history teacher.
What if I or anybody here was a Bible scholar? Would make no difference to you lot.

I don't know. Fair point.
What would the message be to you if I created COVID-19? Would you sing songs about my greatness? Would you proselytize to gain converts for me? While you're considering the offer, I give competitive rates of commission and a flexible working schedule.
Why are you so foolish to equate yourself, mere mortal man, with the almighty God?

Loaded questions. You answer those yourself. They are not accurate representations of God at work.
When Jesus returns, all saved people have their earthly bodies resurrected. Before that time, saved people who died are with God in spirit.
God decides who goes to heaven as a free gift. God does not decide who goes to hell, people earn their way into Hell by their sins. In particular, rejecting the free gift of salvation in Jesus the one and only true Christ
It’s not a “free gift” as you love to call it, it is bribery, actually it is far worse than that.
It is a confession at gunpoint!
“You tell me my son is the only way to me or I punish you for eternity, your choice”.
It’s a “free gift”, what a load of BS.

It’s not a “free gift” as you love to call it, it is bribery, actually it is far worse than that.
It is a confession at gunpoint!
“You tell me my son is the only way to me or I punish you for eternity, your choice”.
It’s a “free gift”, what a load of BS.
It is your choice. Live for today only, any way that makes you happy, and see how that goes, or live here in peace with God and have the assurance of live with God for eternity .
Not a gunpoint at all, as you don't believe in eternity or heaven or hell, so need to get narky about it.

You don't accept the evidence of personal experience of countless believers,

it is personal experience only. Convincing yourself that your life has changed because a belief in an unknowable deity, is not evidence of said deity.

and you don't respect history.

I've taught and studied history for over thirty-five years. I haven't seen much evidence that you know much about history. That includes biblical / ancient history.

You look around the world we live in, the mad extremes of beauty, peace, disorder and chaos, and you think --random and evolution.. I don't.

I go by the supporting evidence for my opinions. There is no supporting evidence for your view. There's overwhelming supporting evidence for the scientific fact of evolution.

What if I or anybody here was a Bible scholar? Would make no difference to you lot.

Well at least you would be able to present supporting evidence (outside from quoting directly from the Bible) for your views. Unfortunately you don't. Or can't.

it is personal experience only. Convincing yourself that your life has changed because a belief in an unknowable deity, is not evidence of said deity.

I've taught and studied history for over thirty-five years. I haven't seen much evidence that you know much about history. That includes biblical / ancient history.

I go by the supporting evidence for my opinions. There is no supporting evidence for your view. There's overwhelming supporting evidence for the scientific fact of evolution.
Evolutionary processes and God's creation are not mutually exclusive.

Evolutionary processes and God's creation are not mutually exclusive.

No they're not. Which is why your continual put down of evolutionary theory, such as labelling it a "STORY" is nonsensical. All you do is discredit your views even further. The evidence for evolution is overwhelming.

However there is also overwhelming evidence that man evolved from earlier species of hominids, so to claim that man was formed by "God in his current state (aka Adam and Eve) is equally nonsensical.

I'd accept that they have expertise in their chosen field. Having knowledge about theology is much the same as having knowledge about the lord of the rings. I'm not going to win an argument about the lotr with someone who has watched the movies and read each book 10 times.

I'd accept that they have expertise in their chosen field. Having knowledge about theology is much the same as having knowledge about the lord of the rings. I'm not going to win an argument about the lotr with someone who has watched the movies and read each book 10 times.
ditto history- makes no difference to knowledge of God.

No they're not. Which is why your continual put down of evolutionary theory, such as labelling it a "STORY" is nonsensical. All you do is discredit your views even further. The evidence for evolution is overwhelming.

However there is also overwhelming evidence that man evolved from earlier species of hominids, so to claim that man was formed by "God in his current state (aka Adam and Eve) is equally nonsensical.
Why are there no inbetween species in existence now, yet we have all forms of apes and then man?
You are overwhelmed by an evolutionary theory.
I am overwhelmed by God- His power and creation, and how evolution could be part of the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back