Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if I could cobble together a team of VFL/AFL Christians over the years.
I know of 15 already that could form some sort of lineup.
Gary Ablett snr
Gary Ablett jnr
Nathan Ablett
Zac Smith
Andrew Swallow
David Swallow
Daniel Wells
Aaron Hall
Sam Wright
Shaun Hart
Jonathon Giles
Jed Adcock
Jared Brennan
Mark Seaby
Stephen Lawrence
A few more Lions.

I Know Simon Black appeared on a Christian media outlet. Also heard someone say Leppsitch and Daniel Rich are but not confirmed.

Nick Robertson definitely is so there is your tagger.

Not Lions but do we throw Matt Spanger in as he looked like Jesus 😀

Sheesh yourself. There ARE people whose lives are fashioned by those members within their club who act as role models, confidantes, employers, and mates. Some people have nothing else to look forward to. Sad. Truth.
"It's more than a game" is very apt. Might not be the case for you, but in my line of work, I see this every day.
Then clearly you don’t understand the difference between obsession and religion. Which in your circumstances is a bit of a concern.

First time I've been on this thread but this thought only occurred to me recently. What is it like being a Christian in this day and age in Australia? Do Christians feel that non religious Australians view them negatively? Do Christians feel they have to conceal their faith?

The reasons I ask these questions is that when people are critical of religion I feel they are particularly harsher on Christians they any other major religion. Perhaps it's because we live in a country where Christianity is the major religion and therefore fair game despite other religions having similar beliefs.
Christianity is the predominant faith in Australia and receives significant favour from our political leaders, so it makes complete sense that it receives a bulk of the attention from non-theists and anti-theists. If Muslims were to receive the same favour and benefits, the response would be stronger.
There's a few things that come to mind when people in my opinion take cheap shots at Christianity. One is the lack of evidence of the existence of Jesus. I remember having a conversation with a friend who was at the time when talking about religion was very negative when she said there's no evidence of Jesus existing I felt that I had to bat for Christianity. I just said that just because there isn't does that mean you can completely rule him out? I mean is it not possible that a man 2000 years ago stirred the pot a little? I mean you don't have to believe the miracles but surely out of the thousands of people we know the Romans crucified not one of them could have been Jesus. To me people can be so anti Christian as they don't seem to be open minded to some think things that may be plausible. Of course this is just my opinion but I feel the vibe of it is making a statement like that is more of an attack on Christians rather than an argument.
I haven't seen anyone claim with certainty that the gospels can't be loosely based on an itinerant preacher called Jesus, and that includes your example above. Anything is plausible depending on your standard for accepting evidence.
The other thing I see pop up occasionally on social media is people talking about how evil Christianity is based on the crusades. To me this is a pretty silly argument. First of all the crusades were a thousand odd years ago how is it relevant to modern Christians? Also do they really think Christians are the only religious group to go to war. To me It's just weak and just another example of Christians being fair game. I just wonder how these people would feel living in other countries where religion has a big influence on their laws. Which brings me to my other argument which I just thought of.
Many Christians argue that Mao, Hitler, and Stalin are examples of the dangers of atheist ideology, even though there is no atheist ideology.
I've even seen criticism of the ten commandments being an influence on western laws. True to a certain extent but where's the problem?
It's usually Christians arguing that Western law is based on the ten commandments as evidence for their beliefs. I don't see any evidence for that.
Thou shall not steal? Thou shall not murder? Pretty sure everyone can agree that these are good for the community. I can't think of any other commandments that influence the law. We are free to commit adultery and there's freedom of religion. Look I think most people are peaceful as are most people who are religious it's just a small minority I feel that can get nasty. Particularly when something like the Pell case or the same sex marriage debate pops up gives another excuse to lay the boots in. Even when criticising the PM calling him happy clappy I feel it's just unnecessary criticise him on his policies all day but why go his religion. Sorry about ranting on for so long as I said I haven't been on here and don't really express my thoughts much at all. It's just something that came to my mind recently.
It's perfectly reasonable to have concerns about his religious beliefs interfering with government policy and funding. ScoMo's home church received a $110k government grant late last year.

In mid-November, the church was awarded $110,000 worth of public money through a Department of Home Affairs initiative known as the Safer Communities Fund. That money, now available to the church for a period covering November 14th 2019 until September 7th 2021, is expected to fund “the installation of 18 fixed security cameras, 13 security lights, video intercoms to 3 designated areas, 2 security and alarm systems and the employment of a security guard” at the church, according to grant documents that are freely available to the public.

Wonder if I could cobble together a team of VFL/AFL Christians over the years.
I know of 20 already that could form some sort of lineup.
Gary Ablett snr
Gary Ablett jnr
Nathan Ablett
Zac Smith
Andrew Swallow
David Swallow
Daniel Wells
Aaron Hall
Sam Wright
Shaun Hart
Jonathon Giles
Jed Adcock
Jared Brennan
Mark Seaby
Stephen Lawrence
Nick Robertson
Daniel Rich
Simon Black
Justin Leppitsch
Ken Fraser

FB: Shaun Hart, Justin Leppitsch , Jared Brennan
HB: Sam Wright, Ken Fraser, Jed Adcock
C: David Swallow, Andrew Swallow, Daniel Wells
HF: Aaron Hall, Jonathon Giles, Daniel Rich
FF: Mark Seaby, Gary Ablett snr, Nathan Ablett
R: Stephen Lawrence, Simon Black, Gary Ablett jnr
I/C: Zac Smith, Nick Robertson
Coach : Doug Nicholls

Gavin Wanganeen

Yeah I think those loud minority 'critics' of Christianity see as it religion that represent western culture, the religion of the European coloniser probably all the above they resent therefore it's ok to say nasty things about Christians.
Why do you think that?
When people criticise Islam (and it can get pretty nasty too) the word racist gets thrown around. I never seen the same principle applied to Christianity even though a lot of Christians aren't white. I'm not saying we can't criticise religion I just think we need to keep it civil.
Criticism of Muslims is often tied in with racism towards Arabs.
I remember having a conversation with another friend a few years back. I'm not sure if he was in the best state of mind but he used Hitler as an example to criticise Catholics. Hitler was a Catholic therefore Catholicism must be bad. I mean how nasty and ridiculous is that. First of all just because someone is born into a faith doesn't necessarily mean they stick with it. Both he and I were brought up as Catholics and both now don't consider ourselves Catholics. I would imagine this is the same with Hitler and what he did had nothing to do with Catholicism.
Hitler was probably not Christian, though he used Christianity selectively for his advantage. Trump uses Christianity for political advantage also.
I even saw on social media someone wrote that Catholicism is archaic. Well of course it is what major religion isn't. This is just arter the high court decisions to release Pell. Here's the thing the system is innocent until proven guilty and it was a unanimous decision. The alternative would be to have a system where your guilty until proven innocent.
I accept the courts decision.

Many Christians also think Pell is guilty. Some Christians even think that Catholics aren't true Christians.

The other thing I see pop up occasionally on social media is people talking about how evil Christianity is based on the crusades. To me this is a pretty silly argument. First of all the crusades were a thousand odd years ago how is it relevant to modern Christians? Also do they really think Christians are the only religious group to go to war. To me It's just weak and just another example of Christians being fair game.
Well the crusades in the east against lasted I believe 200 years but there were wars waged against many others that used crusade ideology to justify them even though they were for political or territorial purposes. That’s another few hundred years.

Do we also ignore Inquisitions against heresy which lasted some 700 years ? Some lovely torture techniques perfected along the way.

Today’s christians may not act that way, up to them I guess to ignore a large part of their history and violence it was founded on.

Then clearly you don’t understand the difference between obsession and religion. Which in your circumstances is a bit of a concern.
Sorry mc, I truly do, but thanks for the tip.

Well the crusades in the east against lasted I believe 200 years but there were wars waged against many others that used crusade ideology to justify them even though they were for political or territorial purposes. That’s another few hundred years.

Do we also ignore Inquisitions against heresy which lasted some 700 years ? Some lovely torture techniques perfected along the way.

Today’s christians may not act that way, up to them I guess to ignore a large part of their history and violence it was founded on.
"This crusade, this war on terrorism, is going to take a while" - George Bush (on the eve of the invasion of Iraq)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually I remember hearing that when he first came to Essendon as a kid he lived with a Pastor who Sheedy then asked to become club Chaplin.
Did you like the Christian team? Many rucks.

Yeah would be a decent side. On another sport we would have a good Christian Wallabies line up too
Not so familiar. Could not name one right now. Their previous doc is a really strong Christian.

Not so familiar. Could not name one right now. Their previous doc is a really strong Christian.
A lot of them are islander names that I would struggle to spell but Nick Farr-Jones and Folau is a fair start.

You could probably make a good Christian rugby league side as well.

A lot of them are islander names that I would struggle to spell but Nick Farr-Jones and Folau is a fair start.

You could probably make a good Christian rugby league side as well.
Listening to some of the commentary around the Folau debacle, I was led to assume that most Aussie RU islanders are fundamentalist Christians.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back