Religion Ask a Christian - Continued in Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaspheming the holy spirit is an unforgivable sin. That's one way of closing the door on the church once and for all.

I don't know what's involved in the process.
Funny that blasphemy against Islam is an unforgivable sin as well, so Christians are Muslims committing unforgivable sin against each other. Funny thing is both claim that they are right. While Muslims and Jews believe Jesus was just a man, this renders all Christian theories false. If they are right Christians are going to the Muslim hell.It's fun to watch kids throwing shit at each other saying my sky pixie is bigger than yours. I miss Vdubs get him back in here

I called the diocese today, this thread gave me the inspo to get back onto this. I got given the number of a woman to call tomorrow (she doesn’t work Mondays, must be knackered from all the praying on Sunday).

Will report how I go
They seem to operate like foxtel. Expect them to offer you a discount to stay on.

Funny that blasphemy against Islam is an unforgivable sin as well, so Christians are Muslims committing unforgivable sin against each other. Funny thing is both claim that they are right. While Muslims and Jews believe Jesus was just a man, this renders all Christian theories false. If they are right Christians are going to the Muslim hell.It's fun to watch kids throwing sh*t at each other saying my sky pixie is bigger than yours. I miss Vdubs get him back in here
We should make blasphemy against atheism unforgivable. Might give us a selling point.

If you can't beat them, join them. :think:

We should make blasphemy against atheism unforgivable. Might give us a selling point.

If you can't beat them, join them. :think:

Afterall according to Christianity all sins are equal, hence you see Catholic priests rape. Afterall rape = lying = Blasphemy. Some xtian said here we are all as bad as Hitler and Ted Bundy.

See what fundamentalism can do to you.

Funny that blasphemy against Islam is an unforgivable sin as well, so Christians are Muslims committing unforgivable sin against each other. Funny thing is both claim that they are right. While Muslims and Jews believe Jesus was just a man, this renders all Christian theories false. If they are right Christians are going to the Muslim hell.It's fun to watch kids throwing sh*t at each other saying my sky pixie is bigger than yours. I miss Vdubs get him back in here
Turtles all the way down mate.
You're all wrong.

Blaspheming the holy spirit is an unforgivable sin. That's one way of closing the door on the church once and for all.

I don't know what's involved in the process.
The Holy Spirit is my area of particular interest. As a “practising Atheist” (a line borrowed from the late great Dave Allen) I enjoy engaging with theologians, Bishops and Priests from time to time (I tend to think of it as “Sport”).

After the usual jousting (think Dawkins v George Pell on Geoffrey Robinson’s “Hypothetical“ but on a much lower level , I usually cut to the chase with this dooz,

”if the Bishops of the Catholic Church ALWAYS follow the word and guidance of the Holy Spirit as we are told they do, why did they cover up, conceal and obfuscate the systemic abuse of children by clergy?

3 Options

1. He told them to

2. He told them to do the right thing but they ALL ignored him

3. It‘s all a giant heap of bullshit

Draw your own conclusion - only one option is valid

The Pentecostal church run by controversial former tennis champion Margaret Court, Victory Life Centre, received more than $280,000 in jobkeeper in the three months to the end of June last year, even though its revenue ultimately barely decreased.

Payments under the scheme began a fortnight after the church’s declaration in mid-March last year that the blood of Jesus would protect parishioners from the deadly virus, but it would nevertheless provide sanitiser.

Maggots, nearly all of them. Just ban religion here already.

Like I keep saying. We are all atheists, it's just that religious believers make one exception from their atheism. They hate hearing that.

I have a Christian question -

Looking back over my life, I see it as a long, long search for the truth. I was born into a fervently Christian household - not happy clappers, but not far off - very evangelical.

What I was being taught never rang true for me, even as a youngster, but knowing nothing else, I lacked the intellectual confidence to kick back against it.

Only as I made my way in life was I able to see things more objectively, and bit by bit, I realised that those fundamental questions about what I was being told as a child were still the ones that troubled me as a rational, independent adult. None of the explanations offered by Christians held water, in my opinion.

But I still couldn't truly kick free of some parts of the intellectual prison I had been born into. In particular, the fear of death. It's taken till now (late 50s), for me to accept that while I have a perfectly natural fear of dying (because, through observation and learning, I know that dying is all too often painful and unpleasant), for the first time ever, I have no fear of death itself, because I have finally accepted that there has never been any reason whatsoever to believe in "life" after death (the very term is a contradiction that doesn't appear to occur to many Christians - what's your definition of "dead"? Mine is, y’know... not alive, dead. Just for clarity alone, if people are going to bang on about “life" after “death”, the obligation is on them to find some new words, because they're deliberately ruining those ones).

If you had to label it, I have arrived at a position of nihilism. Life has no greater point to it than life itself.

Christians like to miscast nihilism as pessimistic and joyless, but when you think about it, if you believe that your life is one infinitesimal interlude between endless periods of oblivion (and I repeat, after all these centuries we still have zero reason to believe it is anything else), then that is a powerful incentive to get out and live every second of it to the fullest.

So, my point is - after all these decades, although I have finally reached some sort of conclusion, some sort of resolution towards what I thought were the seemingly irreconcilable contradictions I was raised within, it has not been without a great deal of soul searching, of questioning the very fundamentals of my identity.

I’m not looking for a pat on the back; my mild contentment is its own reward, but my question to you is - do you not think it's more than a little intellectually incurious for many Christians to say “I gave my life to Christ as a 12 year old and have lived every day since, loving him and obeying him”?

When I look at myself in my early 20s, I held so many ridiculous opinions in so many ways (not just talking about religion now), that I have since examined and gradually but happily cast off. (So glad I didn't get any tatts in my teens and early 20s. My taste in visual art has certainly evolved since then.)

Do you really think a decision you made as a teenager is not up for constant questioning? It seems to me that so many Christians stopped really thinking very early on in their lives. Do you not think that living a human life to the fullest means constantly examining every aspect of oneself and one’s relationship to the world?

Why didn't god tell the good Catholics that fake Catholics were molesting kids?

Was he too busy telling them what brand of milk to put in their cornflakes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are using a dial up modem, while Vdubs has proper NBN to christ.
You are just chirpy because my premiership favourite team is Port.
Why are you inviting me back here all the time?
There is nothing to say.
You all know the way to God, the only way, and it is directly through Jesus.
Nothing more to say, unless you really want to reset your bearings.

You are just chirpy because my premiership favourite team is Port.
Why are you inviting me back here all the time?
Why you? cause the rest of your friends have come and gone, you were the only one standing even on one limb and you are gone too now. Defend your religion however **** it is.

The above was just a joke, so calm down, aren;t we here to have a discussion? even if it's about your sky pixie you have a relationship with?

Stop being so serious all the time!!!

There is nothing to say.
You had a lot to say, why quiet now?
You all know the way to God, the only way, and it is directly through Jesus.
Is this why your religion is failing? Cause an 'omnipotent' God failed to spread his message properly? there are 8 billion people in this world and 2 billion Christians only and declining. Which means for every Christian there are 4 non Christians. So your omnipotent God has failed, even after sacrificing his own son so save us from his own curse. LOL. (Logic fail there)

You have been thoroughly owned in this debate and yet parrot the same marketing line? Bible is true cause Bible said it's true? First you need to prove the authenticity of the verses (as in it's not made). Then you need to join the dots OT and NT to make such a claim. You haven't done either yet you are right.

So a 'god' can't even get his prophecy right about his return. Yet he is 'God'. A god who never claim to be god in 3 of the Gospels went on making miracles and calling himself God in John, which was the youngest of all the Gospels.

As i said lie is a lie no matter how many times you repeat it.
Nothing more to say, unless you really want to reset your bearings.
Reset what exactly? We are all born atheists, then comes religion DEPENDING on where you are born. How is Christianity got ANYTHING to do with an actual god which may or may not exist? if God is one, religion will not depend on geography. What percentage of Middle aast, indonesia, pakistan , north africa do you think are Christian?

Follow your conscience, isn't it what you said? so if God doesn't leave any evidence of his existence i must still follow him based on what the Bible states? The Bible is a horribly flawed book, copied from Pagan religions and Buddhism. On what basis do you claim it's authentic?

And Are you saying none of the Catholic pedo priests have access to God and you do? Why can't God show them the way? oh wait, all sins are forgiven as soon as you accept it right?

You have continuously made claims and failed to back it up. How are we fallen? what is a sin that your God did not commit in the Bible? your mate 6.5 inches here claimed all sins are equal, do you believe that? do you think i am as bad as Hitler? do you think it's a fair way to look at people thinking all are Hitlers and pedophiles?

Flawed stone age ideology, how you guys believe in such nonsense in todays world is astounding to me.

Last edited:
Why you? cause the rest of your friends have come and gone, you were the only one standing even on one limb and you are gone too now. Defend your religion however **** it is.

The above was just a joke, so calm down, aren;t we here to have a discussion? even if it's about your sky pixie you have a relationship with?

Stop being so serious all the time!!!

You had a lot to say, why quiet now?

Is this why your religion is failing? Cause an 'omnipotent' God failed to spread his message properly? there are 8 billion people in this world and 2 billion Christians only and declining. Which means for every Christian there are 4 non Christians. So your omnipotent God has failed, even after sacrificing his own son so save us from his own curse. LOL. (Logic fail there)

You have been thoroughly owned in this debate and yet parrot the same marketing line? Bible is true cause Bible said it's true? First you need to prove the authenticity of the verses (as in it's not made). Then you need to join the dots OT and NT to make such a claim. You haven't done either yet you are right.

So a 'god' can't even get his prophecy right about his return. Yet he is 'God'. A god who never claim to be god in 3 of the Gospels went on making miracles and calling himself God in John, which was the youngest of all the Gospels.

As i said lie is a lie no matter how many times you repeat it.

Reset what exactly? We are all born atheists, then comes religion DEPENDING on where you are born. How is Christianity got ANYTHING to do with an actual god which may or may not exist? if God is one, religion will not depend on geography. What percentage of Middle aast, indonesia, pakistan , north africa do you think are Christian?

Follow your conscience, isn't it what you said? so if God doesn't leave any evidence of his existence i must still follow him based on what the Bible states? The Bible is a horribly flawed book, copied from Pagan religions and Buddhism. On what basis do you claim it's authentic?

And Are you saying none of the Catholic pedo priests have access to God and you do? Why can't God show them the way? oh wait, all sins are forgiven as soon as you accept it right?

You have continuously made claims and failed to back it up. How are we fallen? what is a sin that your God did not commit in the Bible? your mate 6.5 inches here claimed all sins are equal, do you believe that? do you think i am as bad as Hitler? do you think it's a fair way to look at people thinking all are Hitlers and pedophiles?

Flawed stone age ideology, how you guys believe in such nonsense in todays world is astounding to me.
For what irs worth he's not the only one. I'm still reading it. I pointed to my opening posts several times but people just want to try and have a debate which is not the purpose of why I started this thread. Look at the first few pages and people were being respectful in their questions. I still keep an eye our it fir respectful questions. If we want a debate between Christians and Atheists go watch Lennox v Dawkins.

For what irs worth he's not the only one. I'm still reading it. I pointed to my opening posts several times but people just want to try and have a debate which is not the purpose of why I started this thread. Look at the first few pages and people were being respectful in their questions. I still keep an eye our it fir respectful questions. If we want a debate between Christians and Atheists go watch Lennox v Dawkins.

This is the thing, Dawkins has the patience to withstand idiotic arguments, i don't. Kudos to Dawkins for this. I am more Hitchens, if you smell bullshit just say it. To get respect you gotta give respect In this thread all your mob has done is throw shit at other belief systems and cultures, specially first nations people. There's nothing in your cult that deserves respect. Your mate VD has absolutely been destroyed in this thread, from a historical and philosophical point of view and still keep parroting the same line 'we have faith' or one day you will believe. I guess when you got nothing of substance to offer, even evangelicalism comes handy?

This is the thing, Dawkins has the patience to withstand idiotic arguments, i don't. Kudos to Dawkins for this. I am more Hitchens, if you smell bullshit just say it. To get respect you gotta give respect In this thread all your mob has done is throw sh*t at other belief systems and cultures, specially first nations people. There's nothing in your cult that deserves respect. Your mate VD has absolutely been destroyed in this thread, from a historical and philosophical point of view and still keep parroting the same line 'we have faith' or one day you will believe. I guess when you got nothing of substance to offer, even evangelicalism comes handy?
Can you please tell me where you feel I have been disrespectful to other cultures or faiths? Nit here to debate you just interested to know what you feel I have said that has been disrespectful.

I don't think VD has been destroyed but we're all entitled to our opinion.

Yep. In the midst of the biggest health emergency in a century, some Christians are claiming the “blood of Christ” is their vaccine.

So to them, when faced with the options of a proven vaccine...

or a metaphor, they opt for...

The effing metaphor. Go figure.

Last edited:
Can you please tell me where you feel I have been disrespectful to other cultures or faiths? Nit here to debate you just interested to know what you feel I have said that has been disrespectful.

certainly don't feel destroyed; just sensed anger and disrespect from that group, so went and joined Tom Waits.

In the big flood that required Noah to build his ark, how did all the freshwater fish survive?

Not you but your fellow Christians.
He has unable to come up with theological and historical contexts of the verses when asked regularly. He often misquotes a verse, like once he quoted a verse only meant for Israelis during that time and claimed it was for Christians. Isiah has plenty of verses SPECIFIC for Israelis only. Without understanding the context of these verses blind quoting them will get them into trouble. This is one out of 100 such examples. He just (like most christians) have no understanding of the Bible. But this is where it will get you when you believe everything on 'faith' only.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back