Opinion At their best

Better combo at their Peak form

• Whitfield / Conglio / Greend

Votes: 65 91.5%
  • Wells / Beams / Da Goey

Votes: 6 8.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

yes. that's what the game untimely is about. it starts with recruiters. they need to predict " magically " how good a players will be in 10 years time.
We aren’t recruiters mate. And the game of AFL isn’t about predicting players. Its about Friday, Saturday and Sunday watching 2 teams have a crack at our great game.

It just doesn’t make sense. If you’re going to do that comparison surely you’d pick say Wells, Beams and lets say Pendles Prime. As they are all over 30 and we’ve seen their best. Throwing Jordan in there is just weird, he doesn’t fit with the other 2. Thats why i think your just trying to shine a light on the fact you think Collingwood are missing better players.

Wrong again. Beams Got sat on a couple times in 2012.

Coniglio is a better footballer right NOW, but in terms of their career - no way. Beams’ best is also better then anything Cogs has produced. Show me his Flags, AA’s and b&f results, then come back to me.

He is 100% not a top 3 midfielder. Let me rattle off some better midfielders - Fyfe, Danger, Dusty, Neale, Cripps, Bontempelli, Macrae.. do i need to continue?

Bit of recency bias going on here.

Recency bias is not going on.
Until his knee injury, he was arguably the best midfielder in the game.

I don't get why people rate Beams so highly.
In my eyes, he's like Adam Treloar. A gun player but never a game changing midfield beast.

To actually answer the OP's question....

Dayne Beams season in 2012 was the best of the lot and enough for me to give him the nod over Coniglio ('at their best').
Toby Greene (2016) and Jordan De Goey (2018) are neck and neck. Greene averaged 21 disposals and kicked 44 goals whilst De Goey averaged 16 disposals and kicked 48 goals (2 less games). Greene was AA, De Goey in the squad. Overall, I feel Greene's 2016 shades De Goeys year last year, albeit they played their roles very differently.
Whitfield's best I have higher than Wells' best. Wells was a very good, silky player who was hampered by injury but won best and fairests in 2011 and 2013. Whitfield also won a best and fairest last season (in a team with far greater competition that North circa '11/13) and was All Australian (Wells never AA) on half back. This season, Whitfield has played half forward and on the wing and before he went down with injury, he was right in the argument for the best player in the comp IMO.

Overall, I'd give a slight edge to the GWS trio, with the expectation the gap may widen given all 3 are 25 or under as opposed to 2 of the Collingwood boys being at (or near) the end of their careers.

Recency bias is not going on.
Until his knee injury, he was arguably the best midfielder in the game.

I don't get why people rate Beams so highly.
In my eyes, he's like Adam Treloar. A gun player but never a game changing midfield beast.
No, he was not 😂😂😂😂

Cmon man, give it a rest. Coniglio is not a game changing beast. In fact, a big knock on him is his disposal, doesn’t really hurt you.

To actually answer the OP's question....

Dayne Beams season in 2012 was the best of the lot and enough for me to give him the nod over Coniglio ('at their best').
Toby Greene (2016) and Jordan De Goey (2018) are neck and neck. Greene averaged 21 disposals and kicked 44 goals whilst De Goey averaged 16 disposals and kicked 48 goals (2 less games). Greene was AA, De Goey in the squad. Overall, I feel Greene's 2016 shades De Goeys year last year, albeit they played their roles very differently.
Whitfield's best I have higher than Wells' best. Wells was a very good, silky player who was hampered by injury but won best and fairests in 2011 and 2013. Whitfield also won a best and fairest last season (in a team with far greater competition that North circa '11/13) and was All Australian (Wells never AA) on half back. This season, Whitfield has played half forward and on the wing and before he went down with injury, he was right in the argument for the best player in the comp IMO.

Overall, I'd give a slight edge to the GWS trio, with the expectation the gap may widen given all 3 are 25 or under as opposed to 2 of the Collingwood boys being at (or near) the end of their careers.
yeah i think pretty similar to my synopsis. you would be happy being a hawks fan if the whispers are true re: Whitfield to Hawthorn. O'Meara, Mitchell and Whitfiled kicking down to Patton " Apologies Mitchell handball lol "

Eh, who cares. Bont/Macrae/Dunkley are by far the best trio in the AFL.

Expected some historical argument about who was the best at their absolute best. My first thought was Kouta. Uninjured, his peak was possibly the most unplayable I'd seen. He'd have a hard tag and a head to head opponent and beat them both.

That was my first thought too. I remember watching him in a game against Sydney and it was like he was kicking it to himself. He was everywhere and doing everything very, very well. Nice guy too. Met him a few times back in those days and he was pretty easy going with no airs and graces

I think it’s hard to argue against the idea that Carlton’s trio of Anthony Koutoufides, Brendan Fevola and Simon Beaumont are actually the best trio of players ever to play the game.

Kiutoufides run of form in mid 2000 was incredible, including a 38 disposal, 5 goal, 24 contested possession game vs North and a 39 disposal (16 contested), 2 goal, 5 contested mark game va St Kilda match that rounded off arguably the best month of footy I’ve seen

Brendan Fevola dominated the millennium match, kicking 12 goals, in the process single handedly saving the world from the millennium bug. It doesn’t get much better than that...

Except for Simon Beaumont, whose 8 goals in a half against Collingwood remains the best performance of the modern era, one so unsurpassed he never bothered to play even remotely close to that well again

At their best, that trio were pretty much unstoppable and a lock to combine for 25 goals (with Beaumont subbing off at half time)

Back