Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't drop your captain, ever. Even if you have picked one just for on field performance reasons, the club would need to take it on the chin and make a decision about captaincy at the end of the year. Same will go for Jack, he is untouchable this year. Captains have a different kind of pressure to normal position players - I think dropping them might be the single worst thing you could do for them - the shame would ruin them.

Petrie should of been dropped. Brad (and the rest of the selection committee) continued to make the club look like fools, his claim at the end of the season just put the icing on the crazycake.

Unfortunately if it hasn't changed yet, its never going too...

Unfortunately if it hasn't changed yet, its never going too...

So cutting the 4 senior players suggests it hasn't changed yet?

Eight or so debutants yesterday suggests it hasn't changed yet?

The only thing that hasn't changed is people's ability to whinge about something that either hasn't happened, or isn't whinge-worthy.

No player should be guaranteed selection. Captain or otherwise.

To guarantee a season of footy until the Captain can be demoted is just ridiculous. The reason it very rarely happens is because Captains are usually in top group of players, or bring a special attribute to the group (Ling, Maxwell) neither of which Swallow brought last year.

I like Swallow. I like Zeibell. I'd never subscribe to the theory though that they can't be dropped regardless of form or lack thereof.

In fact dropping Swallow last year might have been the blunt statement to the group we needed on a season which was clearly derailing at the time.

It didn't happen, nor did it happen for Dal or Petrie who also should have been dropped throughout the year.

I'm hoping for far better selection this year.

Last edited:

So cutting the 4 senior players suggests it hasn't changed yet?

Eight or so debutants yesterday suggests it hasn't changed yet?

The only thing that hasn't changed is people's ability to whinge about something that either hasn't happened, or isn't whinge-worthy.

Cutting 4 players isn't the same as dropping players because they're in awful form

Last edited:
No player should be guaranteed selection. Captain or otherwise.

To guarantee a season of footy until the Captain can be demoted is just ridiculous. The reason it very rarely happens is because Captains are usually in top group of players, or bring a special attribute to the group (Ling, Maxwell) neither of which Swallow brought last year.

Swallows special attribute is attack on the man and ball is it not? So according to your guidelines he doesnt get dropped.

Attachments

• the-magic-man-datsyuk.jpg
    the-magic-man-datsyuk.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 6
I just would not get hopes up about him getting dropped. We have form about this after all and that's all I mean.

LOL, this is exactly the sort of post that I have been calling the last couple of pages.

Mate, how about dropping the eternal pessimist schtick just for once and let's wait and see what happens before getting upset about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you read the entire script Frank or just the Title of your next play?

Swallow is a 3 time Syd, former captain and incredible servant of our club and the whole script you refer to just sucks.

I personally would like to see him play as a tagger as with his toughness around the contest would be suitable role for where hes at.

Swallow is a 3 time Syd, former captain and incredible servant of our club and the whole script you refer to just sucks.

I personally would like to see him play as a tagger as with his toughness around the contest would be suitable role for where hes at.

So he can get burnt by opposition mids at the contest? He is not fast enough to keep up with the top mids in the league.

Put a fork in him.

So he can get burnt by opposition mids at the contest? He is not fast enough to keep up with the top mids in the league.

Put a fork in him.
Who replaces Ziebell and Cunnington?

Yes, 3 times club champion who was one of the competition's best midfielders for a number of years. He had a crap season last year, no doubt, and the question remains as to whether that was due to injury, or whether he has deteriorated as a player. I hope it's the former and that he can recapture what he previously had, but I'm worried it's the latter.

Either way, he deserved his chances last year and deserves a chance at the start of this year, to determine whether he is best 22 going forward. He's a round 1 lock and I'd be surprised if anyone is upset by that. What a bonus it would be if he does recapture earlier form. A continuation of last year's form will see him out before the middle of the year, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back