RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
I went to the Kyrgios vs Thiem match which was great fun, loved the Tsitsipas-Nadal match, same as Karatsev's run through the tournament. The Muguruza vs Osaka contest was probably the best of the tournament. And Djokovic achieved #18, so ultimately that is what I wanted!
Great game, would be #1 for me.

Sep 22, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Washington Wizards
Djokovic made a comment that when he makes the semis in Australia, he never loses from that point on. Crazy how confidence he is.
People underestimate how mental tennis is, rather then physical. He just crushes opponents with he never ending returns and consistent deep baseline shots. He’s not pretty like Federer but he grinds others. He did it to Nadal last year and even more so tonight

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
Is Sam Groth an idiot? He just asked the question of Djokovic, where does he get his motivation from?

It is bloody OBVIOUS!!!! Djokovic wants the GS record. That is what is driving him clear as day.

Just another Aussie who played but never achieved anything, giving an opinion without any understanding of what drives success.

If they at least get Hewitt or Rafter in there they carry weight in that regard, but Groth? lol

Yeah, this. Who knows what this means for the event in 2022 but that's impossible to predict.

Well Done to Novak, he's done it again.

One of the my least slam finals in a long time though, Medvedev was the one of the worst performances in a slam final in a long time.
Medvedev 's performance was disappointing considering he has been playing well lately. He looked defeated and flat after the first set was over

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
Medvedev 's performance was disappointing considering he has been playing well lately. He looked defeated and flat after the first set was over

Being there last night I thought he was great right up until he broke his racquet, and then his mind was broken with it and it all went downhill.

Some of the rallies before that were incredible.

Being there last night I thought he was great right up until he broke his racquet, and then his mind was broken with it and it all went downhill.

Some of the rallies before that were incredible.

Only thing I'll say is that Mededev's lack of a plan B was and is a huge issue. For a big bloke he should be able to volley unfortunately looked hopeless at the net, get a bloke like Novak who brings you forward and you are toast

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Yep- agree. Its tough to lose but at least if you bring your best tennis, you can feel a degree of satisfaction. Neither medvedev nor Brady brought their good games, so it’s pretty disappointing for them, and for the audience.

Sempfy

Team Captain
Jun 18, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He needs to work a lot more on his mental toughness, he broke far too easily mentally last night. You're down a set and an early break and you basically throw in the towel? How are you ever gonna beat a player like Novak at a grand slam with this kind of mentality?

His lack of a net game was brutally exposed last night aswell... A player of his quality should not be that lost at the net. I mean, he couldn't even hit the simplest of volleys, it just wasn't good enough for a top 10 player of his calibre. I get that the whole coming to net thing was a desperation move on his part but imagine if he could use it as a plan B in a game like this? If he had a competent net game to back up his insane baseline game.

He still probably would've lost last night regardless (Novak was way too good) but at least he'd give himself more of a chance. He's very, very good at what he does but he was exposed last night when he encountered someone who was better at it.

Apr 24, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Djokovic will be the GOAT when all is said and done.

He already is the GOAT. Federer had to rack up most of his slams before Djoker entered his prime and Nadal has had to win most of his on one surface.

He's clearly been the best all-around tennis player of the 3 since he fully hit his stride in 2011. Yes, Fed got old for the latter part of that, but was still in physical prime when it became clear that Djokovic was the superior player. Djoker has also been far more competitive vs Nadal on clay than Fed was.

The_Eagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2005
North Fremantle
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
australia
Djokovic has looked like the GOAT since 2011 for me, the way he can slide on his feet makes him the best for me. However Wimbledon titles are sorta worth more, giving Federer an edge. Nadal even without the clay would be an all time great the way he can reach balls ... it would be good if all 3 end on 20 GS

By comparison the last French Open final to go 5 sets was the Coria-Gaudio epic of 2004

Wimbledon has had 4 out of the last 12 Finals go 5 sets

US Open has had 4 out of the last 12 (Including the last 2) go 5 sets

So yes he's talking out of his arse

Why are you surprised ? There's been two or three regular contributors to this thread who've done the same.

Now that it is all done, was running the Aus Open worth it this year? With the amount of money that Tennis Australia has lost on it, the amount of negative publicity it attracted in some quarters, the lack of crowds (both during the 5 days and the rest of the tournament), I am not sure that it was.

They should only have run it like every other tournament in the world which is using a bubble system - This would have given so many extra benefits - A better standard of tennis because quarantine affected the overall standard of the tournament - No need to play for 2 weeks of quarantine as players would have arrived independently and go into a bubble of practice and play for the duration of the tournament and therefore players would pay for their own accommodation - For some reason, Australia made it more complicated than it needed to be - The whole inflexibility with quarantine is making it hard for Olympians and the Socceroos to give two examples.

They were worried that the oz open would go on in 2022 and the tournament go to a Beijing or dubai if 2021 did not go on. Who knows what the contract states ? Like the f1 gp

This was all spin by Tiley and Andrews - The OZ Open was never going to be played in Asia because countries have locked down their borders and probably only China has the infrastructure to run a Grand Slam - My information is that if there was no OZ Open in 2021, there may have been well funded pop uo tournaments in the Middle East - It's the Middle East who is the only threat long-term for the Aussie Open.

yes. The negative publicity won't stick long term. Massive financial hole, but that was happening regardless if it happened or not.

The US Open and French Open ran as well as could be expected - I feel sorry for Tiley because he took out pandemic insurance but because his policy ran out in June, after the pandemic was declared, then he needed to hold the tournament.

Back