Ballantyne wants out - Eagles

Remove this Banner Ad

Peel might win another grand final. Just need to rotate as many players through Peel. Maybe, put all our injuried players on the Peel seconds sheet ie Balic.

As much as I was happy that Peel won the GF, I always thought that naming Balic on the seconds sheet was rather "underhanded". Shouldn't count someone as "played" unless they have actually played.

As much as I was happy that Peel won the GF, I always thought that naming Balic on the seconds sheet was rather "underhanded". Shouldn't count someone as "played" unless they have actually played.
Loophole is there for you to take advantage of.

Agree, the article makes no sense at all.

Eagles would have only been in the conversation if two years was on the cards. Sounds like the last minute Mitchell deal might have tightened up the cap enough to kill a two year deal for him.

Saying the eagles baulked at two years is just haggers being haggers.
There was no deal. Haggers is just trying to make it appear like a deal was quashed at the death after he's been pushing it as a certainty for weeks

He was wrong as usual but and is scrambling to make out that something changed to stop what was never on the table to begin with

There was no deal. Haggers is just trying to make it appear like a deal was quashed at the death after he's been pushing it as a certainty for weeks

He was wrong as usual but and is scrambling to make out that something changed to stop what was never on the table to begin with
OK I get it. So instead of trying to make sense of a hagdorn article, just assume it's made up horseshit trying to cover for earlier made up horseshit?

Actually makes more sense to me now. Cheers.

Now that that (I presume) Stockys gave him his auks egg on the Mitchell deal, and Hackdorn could hardly believe it when he read it out, but its set him up for life, un-wronged all his previous bogus-ness, and he's forever indebted to polishing up everything else that comes out of Eagle central to put them in a favorable light. i.e. Situation normal but a bit more of a proactive stooge.

On Monday he was adamant the deal will go through otherwise Fremantle will be embarrassed about having Ballas still on their list, and now he's reverted back to his previous position where he jumped on a caller last week for suggesting Ballas decided he would stay at Fremantle with "No! No! Let me correct you before you go on - West Coast rejected him"

What I don't get is why its reported that Weagles supporters would hate Ballas so much.

Surely his fist pumping I've-just-kicked-the-winning-goal-after the-siren-Wait!-Wait!-Goal-Umpire-says-NO-moment tops your list of greatest ever Derby wins, at least judging by the way Worsfold rushed out onto the ground and ponced around hugging all his players afterwards in a manner which Ross Glendinning might refer to as being "unsavoury".

Last edited:
um no definitely not. what is the chance (mathematical probability) of getting a player as good or better than Barlow at pick 50+ in the draft?

if nobody is willing to give us a second rounder, we should keep him imo. At worst he is very high quality depth, at best he is a game winner as he was in a couple of games as recently as this year.

If barlow is a depth players i dont think is worth to keep him. If he get 40 possension in wafl this will deprived another youth getting the ball. Eg if deluca is re rookie . His run with role average 23-24 possension , balic if not in the freo team will be playing deboer role for peel .you need spread of the ball .
Not yet include blakely as inside mid if he is not in first team.

um no definitely not. what is the chance (mathematical probability) of getting a player as good or better than Barlow at pick 50+ in the draft?

if nobody is willing to give us a second rounder, we should keep him imo. At worst he is very high quality depth, at best he is a game winner as he was in a couple of games as recently as this year.

No one was ever giving up a second rounder. Laughable that it was even suggested.

Can understand the emotional attachment to a loyal servant and fantastic club man, but at least pick 50 would be a slim chance of being part of our next premiership assault.

No one was ever giving up a second rounder. Laughable that it was even suggested.

Can understand the emotional attachment to a loyal servant and fantastic club man, but at least pick 50 would be a slim chance of being part of our next premiership assault.

On that basis Sandi, Johnson and Mundy should be well retired.

Barlow should be kept around his (1) Work ethic (2) Leadership (3) Love for the club can be passed onto the youth.

I dont think there is any worth keeping barlow if he is there for depth. Part of the reason hawthorn move mitchell and lewis , is better they play for their career in afl than earning money playing VFL with boxhill. Clarkson make a massive risk but also give tom mitchell a lot of trust that he can deliver.

I hate this s**t.
Should we just turn our backs on Fremantle because they are going to be crap for the next few years? This is not 2001 or 2008. Our position is not that dire.
Whose to say what happens in 2017? That's when our next premiership assault is. And if Barlow plays for us next year then he will be a part of it.
So, we may fail. But we start the year by doing the best we can. And if it goes pear shaped, then we look to fast track the young talent that we have. And not until it goes pear shaped.

I think that Barlow would help with our season, and is young enough to continue helping if he can build on what he showed this year.
If the club thinks that is not the case, I hope it's because they think he is too far down the pecking order to likely contribute to our season.
And unless his shoulder is worse than we thought, I think there is a place for Barlow in the centre as a stopper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still have high hope GC will pick barlow up , but if they only offer 1 year , then i rather he stay with freo.

On that basis Sandi, Johnson and Mundy should be well retired.

Barlow should be kept around his (1) Work ethic (2) Leadership (3) Love for the club can be passed onto the youth.

Selective reading.

If we get offered nothing I would keep Mick around for the very reasons you've mentioned. If we got offered something commensurate with his market value then I wouldn't hesitate moving him on. I have this at pick 50 or above. Unfortunately, he doesn't appear to be in high demand, and pick 50 seems optimistic.

The others you mentioned - well there all undoubtedly best 22 aren't they? Let them provide the leadership you refer too, and see if we can't turn our depth players into future upside.

Selective reading.

If we get offered nothing I would keep Mick around for the very reasons you've mentioned. If we got offered something commensurate with his market value then I wouldn't hesitate moving him on. I have this at pick 50 or above. Unfortunately, he doesn't appear to be in high demand, and pick 50 seems optimistic.

The others you mentioned - well there all undoubtedly best 22 aren't they? Let them provide the leadership you refer too, and see if we can't turn our depth players into future upside.
I agree with your opinion, balic and blakely and other draftee will get more chance to develop their game in wafl as inside mid if they are not in freo first team if barlow gone.

If everybody fit
Freo mid will consists of
Fyfe ,neale,mundy with s.hill and Waters able to rotate in to mix thing up.

Cant really fit eveeybody in best 22 without the youth spending time in wafl or injuries occur.

Last edited:
I agree with your opinion, balic and blakely and other draftee will get more chance to develop their game in wafl as inside mid if they are not in freo first team if barlow gone.

If everybody fit
Freo mid will consists of
Fyfe ,neale,mundy with s.hill and Waters able to rotate in to mix thing up.

Cant really fit eveeybody in best 22 without the youth spending time in wafl or injuries occur.

I agree. I would add that we have Fyfe, Neale, Mundy, and Bennell as inside midfielders plus Blakely and Balic. Barlow hasn't shown he can play anywhere else except inside mid.

It will be interesting to see how Ballantyne reacts to not getting traded because no-one really wanted him bad enough to give us a decent pick. Hopefully it is a wakeup call..........You aren't as good as you think you are. Get out there and play like 2013 or GTFO.
Ross Lyon is going to have real depth for the first time in ages.Best preseason gets you first opportunity.

FB: Hamling/Silvani A.Pearce/Collins,/Dawson Spurr
HB: Ibbo/Sutcliffe,/Tucker Johnson,/Collins Crozier/Weller

C: S.Hill, Fyfe, B.Hill/D Pearce

HF: Bennell McCarthy,/Tabaner Langdon/Ballantyne

FF: Yarren Apeness/Kersten, Walters

Fol: Sandi, Neale, Mundy/Blakely/Balic

Int: Suban Barlow Clarke

I cannot remember ever having so much competition for spots.Pre season will be great. Get ready Salim and the crew. I will want lots of reports

WE still have to wait for the 2 drafts to see how successful the recruiters have been . We have positions to fill on our list and pick 7 will be just as crucial as the players that we had traded in .
We have traded in 4 and traded out 1 so we have still 8 positions to fill .
We have the Pav , Morabito and the Mayne replacement cover and the and the Dawson \Johnson cover \ replacement as well .
Now we need replacements for DeBoer , Mzungu , Smith ,Hannath , C. Pearce , Grey , Deluca and Hurley .
The Club is in a better position than I thought they would be in after the trade week because I could see Clarke ,Barlow ,Silvagni and Ballantyne being gone as well . So I'm a happy camper .
So with the picks we have in the who do we get with 7 . My Gut feeling is English if he is available or Pat Kerr

Reckon we could get Pat Kerr at 35 if we wanted, but given our latest acquisitions, I'm not convinced he will be on the radar. Would however love Marshall to slide to 35 as I think he has too much potential at that pick to ignore......for that reason, it won't happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back