M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
barry hall- 289 games, 746 goals, 2.58 average goals per game, 4 x all australian, 1 x premiership player.

brendan fevola- 204 games, 623 goals, 3.05 average goals per game, 3 x all australian, 2 x coleman medalist.

Hall based on the stats, but in terms of overall talent and potential, Fevola every day of the week. Would have kicked over 1000 goals if he had the right attitude.

Fevola was just a freak. Hall was more reliable but also more prone to going a big bananas and turning the game into a Boxing match.

Id take Fevola personally.

Hall vs Fevola

Goalless: 17% of matches vs 11%
1+ Goals: 83% vs 89%
2+: 66% vs 72%
3+: 46% vs 56%
4+: 32% vs 38%
5+: 19% vs 25%
6+: 9% vs 14%
7+: 2% vs 8%
8+: 0.35% vs 4%

As a goal kicker, Fevola definitely the more reliable of the two and playing in far worse teams. I'm taking Fev. Almost 1 out of 10 matches he would kick 7 goals or more. Unreal.

Hall is a better player he just played for a low scoring team in Sydney for a lot of his best years. Just because they were much better doesn't mean it's a better place for a goal kicker, especially as Fev didn't have anyone to compete with as a marking target. Hall averaged over 3 in his last years at the Dogs. Fevola was super streaky and not a team player in any way.

Hall vs Fevola

Goalless: 17% of matches vs 11%
1+ Goals: 83% vs 89%
2+: 66% vs 72%
3+: 46% vs 56%
4+: 32% vs 38%
5+: 19% vs 25%
6+: 9% vs 14%
7+: 2% vs 8%
8+: 0.35% vs 4%

As a goal kicker, Fevola definitely the more reliable of the two and playing in far worse teams. I'm taking Fev. Almost 1 out of 10 matches he would kick 7 goals or more. Unreal.

I meant more...reliable off field really.

Hall was more of a team player than Fev IMO but Fev was easily the better talent. He wasted some of that talent however, really should have kicked around 850 goals in his career.

I'd still pick Fev but only just. Hall is underrated for what he achieved.

Fevola would've been considered as one of the greatest full forwards ever had he sustained a full career at Carlton. No doubt 1000+ goals was achievable. Freakish talent.

Hall was a gun, but Fev easily IMO. Man was an absolute freak, if he had have knuckled down and taken his career more seriously then I have no doubt we'd be talking about one of the greatest footballers of the 21st century.

Fevola was incredible to watch, would have loved to see him play as a bonafide 110% non screw loose professional. As good as Hall was, I'm taking Fev.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What needs to be taken into account is that they didn't always play the same role, when comparing their stats. Fev played almost exclusively at FF, whereas Hall played plenty at CHF as well as at FF and even spent some time at FB one year when he was at St Kilda. Hall averaged exactly 30% more marks per game than Fev and almost 50% more contested marks per game, so they did bring different things to the table and Hall was more versatile. He also captained his team to their first premiership in 72 years, just quietly.

barry hall- 289 games, 746 goals, 2.58 average goals per game, 4 x all australian, 1 x premiership player.

brendan fevola- 204 games, 623 goals, 3.05 average goals per game, 3 x all australian, 2 x coleman medalist.

Whats the poll?

Who had the better career?
Who would you take as your FF in a GF?
Who was the crazier bastard?
etc?

There's more to football then just goals. Fev was a full forward, Hall was primarily a CHF (though not in his last two years with the Dogs where he kicked 135 in 39 games).

Fev was a freak but I'm not sure the argument about him kicking more goals in a better side has a lot of merit. Hall played with other good forwards like Loewe, Gehrig, O'Loughlin and Goodes. He wasn't kicked to every time. Would love to see the usage stats and the percentage of forward entries at Carlton that went to Fev.

Both are often forgotten, but both were great players. I've always had a soft spot for both players.

Fev, but only JUST.

Back