List Mgmt. Bassirou Faye - Possible Cat B Rookie

Remove this Banner Ad

Dave do you honestly think he will play a single game for us theres no point even remembering his name.

sad where the clubs at
Given he trained well enough with the Chargers over the preseason to warrant a spot on their list, I wouldn’t be so quick to judge. How about we see how he performs in NAB league when he returns to Australia before making hasty declarations?

I'm not too keen on too many really speculative talls. Especially key forwards. I can hack it if it's ruck. But still feel we've got a lot with Cox, Keane, Tohill, Wilson, Madge on the list. You at best get a bit part player.

Then you might get the 1 that comes a Star

I’m all for giving it a crack, but a balanced portfolio approach is key! We have 6 ‘project’ talls on our list...that is too much X and not enough fundamentals in A B C

I’m not sure ignoring players like this would in any way change our need to chase A, B & C types. To do so would be cutting off your nose to spite your face. Kid will get here and play NAB league this year and we’ll get a better understanding of where he’s at. Imagine these boards if we overlooked him and he was the 1 that ended up being the next Jimmy Stynes or could replicate Allir as a KPP, and he did that at another club.

With 2nd half of the NAB League called off would we possibly allowed to keep him as Scholarship Player instead being put on our List for 2022?

With 2nd half of the NAB League called off would we possibly allowed to keep him as Scholarship Player instead being put on our List for 2022?

It will be interesting to see how the Pies under Graham Wright handle these novelty acts.... I cant remember anything similar at Hawthorn and they tended to concentrate on players who had a history of schoolboy footy.

It will be interesting to see how the Pies under Graham Wright handle these novelty acts.... I cant remember anything similar at Hawthorn and they tended to concentrate on players who had a history of schoolboy footy.

They also didn't want an AFLW side, so I guess they don't always know best.

It's a spot on our list outside the cap and presents no risk, we still have the same opportunity for kids on our list who have grown up playing AFL. .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They also didn't want an AFLW side, so I guess they don't always know best.

It's a spot on our list outside the cap and presents no risk, we still have the same opportunity for kids on our list who have grown up playing AFL. .

I didnt say that hawthorn knew best. For all we know, he might have wanted irish guys on the list....but from the evidence that we see. the hawks concentrated on footballers - right or wrong.

As for the argument that it's a free hit, then the majority of clubs dont do it.....have melb or Wb done it? i dont know their lists that well. With the irish we hear a lot about jim stynes but how often does lightning strike... the same is true with the guys from africa. I'm not saying that wright will or should stop the experiments. Just interesting to see what happens under the new coaching regime.

Definitely worth taking Anton’s spot on the list as cat B and if Cox is still with us he’d make a great mentor. Regardless of what you think of him as a player, Mason is a very intelligent and caring guy would be great in that mentor/ guidance role at a club.

I didnt say that hawthorn knew best. For all we know, he might have wanted irish guys on the list....but from the evidence that we see. the hawks concentrated on footballers - right or wrong.

As for the argument that it's a free hit, then the majority of clubs dont do it.....have melb or Wb done it? i dont know their lists that well. With the irish we hear a lot about jim stynes but how often does lightning strike... the same is true with the guys from africa. I'm not saying that wright will or should stop the experiments. Just interesting to see what happens under the new coaching regime.
Hawthorn a few years back put two players recruited from New Zealand on their list: Kurt Heatherley (who spent quite a few years with them and managed 5 senior games) and Shem Tatupu. This was in Wright's time at the club. Conor Glass was an Irish recruit for the Hawks picked up as a Cat. B Rookie, and he was there from 2016-2020. Conor Nash is another Irishman and he's been at Hawthorn since 2017. Ciaran Kilkenny spent just the one year on the list before returning to Ireland (he only stayed for a few months).

I would just think he takes Tohil's Cat B spot.
I have said this before but I'm almost certain that we are under no obligation to put Bassirou Faye on our list as a Cat. B rookie for 2022. It would make sense that International Scholarship Players are given time to develop after being signed by clubs and that the clubs would have plenty of time to weigh up whether they are worth keeping and placing on their (proper) lists.

This article indicates that we would have at least a couple of years before we need to do anything with him: Recruiting shock: Pies sign Senegalese ruck prospect who has never played footy (afl.com.au)
1631610333869.png
It could be that we can have him tied to us for even three years before we need to list him or lose our hold on him.

AFL Policies & Terms: Microsoft Word - Amended AFL Rules - 9 April 2021 (CLEAN FINAL)
1631611342734.png

Last edited:
Hawthorn a few years back put two players recruited from New Zealand on their list: Kurt Heatherley (who spent quite a few years with them and managed 5 senior games) and Shem Tatupu. This was in Wright's time at the club. Conor Glass was an Irish recruit for the Hawks picked up as a Cat. B Rookie, and he was there from 2016-2020. Conor Nash is another Irishman and he's been at Hawthorn since 2017. Ciaran Kilkenny spent just the one year on the list before returning to Ireland (he only stayed for a few months).

good work...well there you go... probably indicates that he's willing to give these guys a go.

I have said this before but I'm almost certain that we are under no obligation to put Bassirou Faye on our list as a Cat. B rookie for 2022. It would make sense that International Scholarship Players are given time to develop after being signed by clubs and that the clubs would have plenty of time to weigh up whether they are worth keeping and placing on their (proper) lists.

This article indicates that we would have at least a couple of years before we need to do anything with him: Recruiting shock: Pies sign Senegalese ruck prospect who has never played footy (afl.com.au)
View attachment 1235768
It could be that we can have him tied to us for even three years before we need to list him or lose our hold on him.

AFL Policies & Terms: Microsoft Word - Amended AFL Rules - 9 April 2021 (CLEAN FINAL)
View attachment 1235778
So.. we can leave him as a scholarship until he is 20? So a couple more years.

So.. we can leave him as a scholarship until he is 20? So a couple more years.
Quite likely. Given that he still hasn't played a game at any level, and it could be that he was not even considered developed enough to be picked for the Chargers this year, he is likely to need a fair bit of work! Collingwood just might put him on as a Cat. B Rookie if they don't have anyone else in mind, but I can't see why they would do that when they don't have to. Realistically, he's been given a lot more attention than he really deserves, as there's been quite a lot of these (International Scholarship) players signed by clubs over the years and many of them have disappeared without trace. Hopefully he's one that makes it! I am in favour of the club continuing to look at Irish and other international prospects that we can pick up "on the cheap".

Consider the vast majority of footy players have been …

- Kicking footies since they could walk
- Played in the Aus kickers program
- Played on the MCG a couple or times around the ages of 7-9
- Played for the school footy team
- Played kick to kick with their mates during the winter school breaks, and on weekends
- Played junior footy
- Played NAB League (TAC Cup)
- Watched hundreds of games of footy over the years
- Dreaming of playing senior footy
- Weights, diets, builring up aerobic capacity, stretching, carrying a footy around with them everywhere
- Injuries, rehab
- Drafted
- Played state league

… to then have teammate(s) join them who have never kicked a footy in their life. That would be real hard work.

It’d be hard work even for his teammates at Chargers. I’d imagine for the sake of team culture, the club would be very patient and not promote him through the ranks until he is ready to take the next step. If he can sit outside the list for three years, I can’t see why we wouldn’t take every bit of that before br*noting him on as a rookie.

Consider the vast majority of footy players have been …

- Kicking footies since they could walk
- Played in the Aus kickers program
- Played on the MCG a couple or times around the ages of 7-9
- Played for the school footy team
- Played kick to kick with their mates during the winter school breaks, and on weekends
- Played junior footy
- Played NAB League (TAC Cup)
- Watched hundreds of games of footy over the years
- Dreaming of playing senior footy
- Weights, diets, builring up aerobic capacity, stretching, carrying a footy around with them everywhere
- Injuries, rehab
- Drafted
- Played state league

… to then have teammate(s) join them who have never kicked a footy in their life. That would be real hard work.

It’d be hard work even for his teammates at Chargers. I’d imagine for the sake of team culture, the club would be very patient and not promote him through the ranks until he is ready to take the next step. If he can sit outside the list for three years, I can’t see why we wouldn’t take every bit of that before br*noting him on as a rookie.

i was wondering out loud earlier if wright would continue the recruitment of overseas players and was informed that the hawks recruited a 16 year old kiwi who came to school here and learnt the game but was eventually let go. He then took up rugby union and played with the english champions. My point being that its a hard game to learn - certainly harder than rugby league or union. Certainly being a good athlete gives a player a head start in their career in AFL, but they need to have a passion to succeed, not just pick up a paycheck.

Having been involved with Aussie Rules in the UK and where we used to play 9 Rest of World players with 9 Aussies. The Aussies usually coming from being ex AFL to usually having played a high standard. You see some overseas players who have never played the game take to it like a duck to water, I am yet to see anyone AFL standrd but have seen at least 6-7 who would be as good as any A grade Amateur/1st division league players.
Aussie rules is not soccer or cricket where I think you need to develop skills early.
The club is stupid not using its 2 Cat B spots. Cox won has won us 2 finals both where we were underdogs. If a potential player has a stand out attribute hard to find it is well worth taking the punt. If anything I dont think the club spends enough money sourcing overseas athletes that could be quality AFL. There are 750 players raised in Aust with professional contracts. What talent is outside Australia that could be a Dusty Martin, Max Gawn or Tom Hawkins? There must be 1000's of potential Aussie Rules stars globally but it is picking a needle out of a haystack.

Having been involved with Aussie Rules in the UK and where we used to play 9 Rest of World players with 9 Aussies. The Aussies usually coming from being ex AFL to usually having played a high standard. You see some overseas players who have never played the game take to it like a duck to water, I am yet to see anyone AFL standrd but have seen at least 6-7 who would be as good as any A grade Amateur/1st division league players.
Aussie rules is not soccer or cricket where I think you need to develop skills early.
The club is stupid not using its 2 Cat B spots. Cox won has won us 2 finals both where we were underdogs. If a potential player has a stand out attribute hard to find it is well worth taking the punt. If anything I dont think the club spends enough money sourcing overseas athletes that could be quality AFL. There are 750 players raised in Aust with professional contracts. What talent is outside Australia that could be a Dusty Martin, Max Gawn or Tom Hawkins? There must be 1000's of potential Aussie Rules stars globally but it is picking a needle out of a haystack.

While I doubt your assessment about the difficulty of playing AFL and certainty cricket, I'll acknowledge that a lot of overseas athletes could learn to catch and kick a ball. However, there are other non-footy things that they need to do. They need to live in Australia for the majority of the year. They also need to do the sport for less than 500K a year. They need to integrate themselves into a social structure at a club. They need to accept that they are likely to be minority players and this can have an impact on them, especially if they are black or dont speak english well. The list goes on for non-footy related difficulties.

But even footy-related limitations can be subtle. The issue that he restricted Cox's success has not been his ability to kick or catch the ball, but to deal with opponents pushing him out of contests. He's been playing the game for a while now and it still dogs his performances and he will never overcome it.

Some players from overseas have been successful and it appears to be as easy way for clubs to gain players outside the draft system, but the club needs to put money and time into the support required to get the player up to speed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back