Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Money talks and he won’t be getting any NIL money
Do you genuinely think that he would have made a commitment to Collingwood if money was the only driving factor? He wants to play in the NBA. The AFL is clearly his second choice.

And he will have a good idea if that is realistic after one year.
I agree. On face value it doesn’t seem that realistic to me. You’d assume that the freshmen who are destined for the NBA would be performing at a super high level at college ball from day 1.

Maybe he plays a second year but he won’t stick around for for his senior year
Agree with this unless there is a step change and he absolutely dominates next year.

AFL careers are not that long, so if he wants to make money as a professional athlete and NBA is an unlikely path, then I'd expect him to come home.

I agree. On face value it doesn’t seem that realistic to me. You’d assume that the freshmen who are destined for the NBA would be performing at a super high level at college ball from day 1.
Only sixty players are drafted and not all play college, especially with the rise of European leagues and the NBL. So to be considered, you have to be performing at an exceptionally high level every game, week-in, week-out. Condon might choose to complete his degree on scholarship or, if he reads the room and figures there is no chance, come home.

Who knows at this stage. Centre is a bit like ruck - physical development is really important. Writing him off due to not dominating in Y1 is akin to writing Steene off for not dominating VFL last year. He's got another 3 years to develop - but NBA is the very elite tip of a massive global sport, so I wouldn't be backing him in - it'd be like backing Steene in to become an All Australian ruck. Good luck to him.

Who knows at this stage. Centre is a bit like ruck - physical development is really important. Writing him off due to not dominating in Y1 is akin to writing Steene off for not dominating VFL last year. He's got another 3 years to develop - but NBA is the very elite tip of a massive global sport, so I wouldn't be backing him in - it'd be like backing Steene in to become an All Australian ruck. Good luck to him.
I’m not writing him off, just looking at the numbers. You’ve got 350 NCAA division 1 colleges, with you’d assume at least 2-3 centres fighting for a spot in each team, so let’s say 1000~ college players hoping to be drafted playing centre, in addition to players from international leagues also competing for 60~ spots in any given NBA draft.
Yeah, there’s the physical development bit, but the fact is he’s going to be competing against relatively young guys who are in the same situation as him in the college system. If you’re not an immediate clear standout amongst the massive amount of competition you’ve got, then I don’t see a particularly bright future as an NBA basketballer.

I’m not writing him off, just looking at the numbers. You’ve got 350 NCAA division 1 colleges, with you’d assume at least 2-3 centres fighting for a spot in each team, so let’s say 1000~ college players hoping to be drafted playing centre, in addition to players from international leagues also competing for 60~ spots in any given NBA draft.
Yeah, there’s the physical development bit, but the fact is he’s going to be competing against relatively young guys who are in the same situation as him in the college system. If you’re not an immediate clear standout amongst the massive amount of competition you’ve got, then I don’t see a particularly bright future as an NBA basketballer.
Yeah I'd be betting against him. The only point I'd disagree with is who he's competing with - he's a first year player - quite a lote of his teammates and rivals will be in their 4th year - It's Jakob Ryan vs IQ.

Yeah I'd be betting against him. The only point I'd disagree with is who he's competing with - he's a first year player - quite a lote of his teammates and rivals will be in their 4th year - It's Jakob Ryan vs IQ.
Except that across all the teams there are literally dozens, if not 100+ freshman centres. That is his specific draft cohort. Any that are likely to be drafted will be dominating, night-in night-out, as freshman, even if they still need to fill out.

Except that across all the teams there are literally dozens, if not 100+ freshman centres. That is his specific draft cohort. Any that are likely to be drafted will be dominating, night-in night-out, as freshman, even if they still need to fill out.
I agree that it's unlikely that he gets drafted, but there's been draftees who got very little court time in their first year of college.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm starting to change my tune on this.

The Gators have been performing a lot better lately and Condon is getting big wraps now as a freshman.

He is 6th in blocks in the SEC, and Florida fans are pretty bullish on his draft chances after another season playing college.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240215-122250.png
    Screenshot_20240215-122250.png
    148 KB · Views: 100
The bastard is an exceptional rebounder. Someone needs to remind him that Collingwood comes first!
Sounds like he is tracking beautifully. I know I should be cheering against his basketball, but I hope he makes it.

Condon fouled out in an upset loss 100-102, after fouling out with this rather questionable call.

Florida should be glad the call was made. Went on a huge run after he got benched. Their defence was Swiss cheese with him playing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back