Opinion Reckon we could / would change our name for Sir Doug Nicholls Round in future years?

Thoughts on changing our club name for Sir Doug Nicholls Round in future years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's something grotesque about the way you keep opening your trench coat and flashing your ignorance about. Put it away, please.

There's also something grotesque about the way that you present migrants as a bunch of luckless types who closed their eyes and hoped for the best when they came to Australia.

You referred to a multicultural 'tapestry' in one of your earlier posts, and you'd do well to dwell upon the significance of that term. Historically, most of the people who came to this country were simply expected to assimilate. Australia didn't embrace and celebrate their different cultures for most of our history, and it wasn't until the 1970s that significant recognition and resources were directed at promoting a tapestry rather than a 'melting pot'.

Do you know why the change came about? It came about because a lot of those people from 'other places' asked for it. Some of them made demands, others quietly insisted, but it all amounted to an expectation that their differences would be respected and supported and celebrated.

Some of Australia's migrants have even had the temerity to ask to be treated like other Australians. One of my own family was interned in WWI because his name was a bit too Germanic, and all he wanted was to be free to fight for his adoptive country.

The narrative that the 'new Australians' simply turned their backs on the old country and accepted whatever came their way in Australia --without asking or demanding anything more-- is not uncommon, but it is a fallacy based on ignorance.

----------------------------------------------------------

I'll leave it there, mate. Exchanging words with you is nothing but a sad reminder of how sad and silly a lot of people are, and I know I've demeaned myself in the process.

I love exposing hypocrites. But when they are a preacher with a mild to moderate education trying to explain the plight of Australian migrants. To a person brought up from an immigrant family. Now, this is definitely on another level of ignorance…..Best to know your audience.

Maybe you need to find yourself a more worthy cause for that overly unnecessary education you’ve attained. Just brainstorming here, why not set up a support group for university students and how best to utilize pronouns…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love exposing hypocrites. But when they are a preacher with a mild to moderate education trying to explain the plight of Australian migrants. To a person brought up from an immigrant family. Now, this is definitely on another level of ignorance…..Best to know your audience.

Maybe you need to find yourself a more worthy cause for that overly unnecessary education you’ve attained. Just brainstorming here, why not set up a support group for university students and how best to utilize pronouns…..

That is the funniest thing I have read. I guess it is like you preaching the plight of Aboriginals and matters pertaining to Aboriginals to an Aboriginal. Know your audience. This is another level of ignorance. Another hypocrite exposed.

Self adulation is the lowest form of praise. Do you always blow your own trumpet like this? Please let us know what you do for Aboriginal people. I am intrigued

I lead by example. And don’t look to blame others for my plight. This country will give you anything you need. And for every real effort you put in you’ll get rewarded in kind. There are no limitations to anyone…….

If there were. There wouldn’t be any Indigenous players on any list let alone Sir Doug Nicholls rounds.

I think it’s reasonable, given our struggles to resolve issues around closing the gap etc, to be sceptical about previous approaches taken by three different levels of government in response to these issues. It’s painfully slow and there won’t be one answer. I’m hopeful that if we keep listening to each other without the need to be right or to prove others wrong that appropriate responses can be found. It’s funny that barracking for the same football club gives us the opportunity to have a wider conversation with people than we might normally have. In fact I reckon football clubs are dealing with these issues better than some organisations. There will be stuff ups and wrong turns and moments to celebrate but we are dealing with things that go to the core of the human condition. It’s not easy and probably never will be. Go Pies-Barrawarn-…………….

Well said FTBL. Go Pies-Barrawan.

Nice sulk.

Mild to moderate education...is the next level spicy?

That is the funniest thing I have read. I guess it is like you preaching the plight of Aboriginals and matters pertaining to Aboriginals to an Aboriginal. Know your audience. This is another level of ignorance. Another hypocrite exposed.

I'm pretty sure the bloke is living in a granny flat at the back of his parent's house, 'paying his way' by blowing leaves into the neighbour's yard.

Certainly not worth too much of a worry.

I thought I'd follow up, because I'm feeling generous.

I'm from immigrant families as well, some more recent than others. I'm not sure that you've got any authority to speak on anything, but a background migrant experience certainly doesn't give you --or anyone-- the authority to speak for all immigrant groups over more than a century.

My post to you wasn't a sermon or lecture. It was, though, historical fact. I've studied the shifts in Australian government policy from assimilation to multiculturalism, and I've read scores of books by historians who've made the subject their life's work.

Here's two good ones if you're interested:
- Gwenda Tavan, 'The Long, Slow Death of White Australia'
- Anna Haebich, 'Spinning the Dream: Assimilation in Australia, 1950-1970'

I'm not sure if you're aware, but let me point out that nothing of what you said was a response (let alone refutation) of my post to you. My strong suggestion to you is that you talk/type less, and read/listen more. One day you might find that you've become something more than an ignorant buffoon attracting the 'likes' of similarly ignorant buffoons.

Good luck in your travels.

Last edited:

Like I’ve said. Maybe it’s not the 150K Indigenous Australians from remote communities that have the problem. Maybe the problem stems from all the fluffers dagging around the periphery making a tremendous earn from their plight. And just maybe that’s where we really need to start in order to fix what logically seems an insane situation.

That’s going to be hard to initiate. As there are many making an extravagant earn. And I’m certain there aren’t too many wanting that to stop. $34Bil feeds a lot of snouts.

I know it might be hard for you to wrap your head around. That’s just because you’re too insular to the root cause.

I thought I'd follow up, because I'm feeling generous.

I'm from immigrant families as well, some more recent than others. I'm not sure that you've got any authority to speak on anything, but a background migrant experience certainly doesn't give you --or anyone-- the authority to speak for all immigrant groups over more than a century.

My post to you wasn't a sermon or lecture. It was, though, historical fact. I've studied the shifts in Australian government policy from assimilation to multiculturalism, and I've read scores of books by historians who've made the subject their life's work.

Here's two good ones if you're interested:
- Gwenda Tavan, 'The Long, Slow Death of White Australia'
- Anna Haebich, 'Spinning the Dream: Assimilation in Australia, 1950-1970'

I'm not sure if you're aware, but let me point out that nothing of what you said was a response (let alone refutation) of my post to you. My strong suggestion to you is that you talk/type less, and read/listen more. One day you might find that you've become something more than an ignorant buffoon attracting the 'likes' of similarly ignorant buffoons.

Good luck in your travels.
Great post JB.
I’ve given up worrying about the buffoons and have put them on ignore.
Their type is easy to spot and can’t be reasoned with.

Great post JB.
I’ve given up worrying about the buffoons and have put them on ignore.
Their type is easy to spot and can’t be reasoned with.

I've never claimed to be wise.

Just very good looking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never claimed to be wise.

Just very good looking.
My looks are fading. Getting old man hands and arms.
Just hoping for a flag or two before I shuffle off.

The AFL site shows where this is going. Four sides have peculiar names in their discussion of this week's games. It hasn't taken long to cease being a "special" thing for one round and make a push for the mainstream. No doubt I will get used to who they are talking about eventually, but to me it is just another sad surrender of culture to activists.
Why the people trying to twist our lives into an unwanted shape can't put their energies into something that matters, like fighting climate change, I don't know. I pine for the days when football was just football.

Primary school kids happily learn the peculiar names of 18 teams. Why are adults whinging about learning a few altered ones?

Culture is constantly evolving. It wasn’t so long ago that it was customary for people to smoke at their desks at work. It wasn’t long ago ago that it was customary to drive home pissed from the pub - as long as you took it easy and didn’t hit anything.

Primary school kids happily learn the peculiar names of 18 teams. Why are adults whinging about learning a few altered ones?

Culture is constantly evolving. It wasn’t so long ago that it was customary for people to smoke at their desks at work. It wasn’t long ago ago that it was customary to drive home pissed from the pub - as long as you took it easy and didn’t hit anything.
I like the change for a couple of weeks.

By the way, in Greece the main newsreaders and television personalities still smoke cigarettes live on TV.
Hilarious

Do you have a good reason why we shouldn't rename all our cities and suburbs to their indigenous names? What's the problem with learning a few altered names?

Like I’ve said. Maybe it’s not the 150K Indigenous Australians from remote communities that have the problem. Maybe the problem stems from all the fluffers dagging around the periphery making a tremendous earn from their plight. And just maybe that’s where we really need to start in order to fix what logically seems an insane situation.

That’s going to be hard to initiate. As there are many making an extravagant earn. And I’m certain there aren’t too many wanting that to stop. $34Bil feeds a lot of snouts.

I know it might be hard for you to wrap your head around. That’s just because you’re too insular to the root cause.

I will ask again because you refuse to answer. What have you done to help?

This narrative that Aboriginal people are broken and helpless is so incredibly toxic. People will never get better when you constantly tell them they're victims and broken, it becomes ingrained in a victim mentality.

What is toxic is non Aboriginal people thinking they know everything and have a solution and 2 those that hide behind their protected worlds and won’t acknowledge there is a problem.

What is toxic is non Aboriginal people thinking they know everything and have a solution and 2 those that hide behind their protected worlds and won’t acknowledge there is a problem.

I don't think anyone is acknowledging there isn't a problem, making most indigenous people out to be victims only makes the problems worse.

The company i work for has an indigenous employment program, like nearly all big companies, and the large group of indigenous people I work with are just normal people who live normal lives and don't buy into the victim mentality or constantly make everything about race.

Last edited:
This is a strange one, how do you come up with that? I admire your passion for first nation people but you are all over the place. Refusing to believe that funding is there isn't going to help your cause. You seem to put all things first Nation in the one basket. Some of us work in certain fields that actually know where the funding is going for fist Nations people and I can tell you, they are not missing out.

Pretty simple really. If allocated funding isn't getting to where it's meant to, or where it's needed, and delivering desired outcomes, then there is a funding shortfall.

Please elaborate.

I think you need to read this as well.

I am aware of the report and it is mainly talking about remote communities. I have no doubt that remote communities need a lot of assistance and have said so in previous posts. first Nations people have everything you and I have access to if they live in the cities. I agree with the training up of 500 Indigenous medical staff and all the other things proposed in that report. My problem is that there is so much need in the all communities that isn't being funding any where near enough. We have single mums living in their cars with their kids right here in Melbourne because their partners leave them and they have no way of supporting themselves. There is no where for them to go and what there is, is pathetic. We have women in abusive relationships that have no where to go but a shelter for a few nights. we have families living in asbestos ridden commission homes with inadequate heating and space for them. We have people waiting for over 5 years to get public housing. I could go on forever. more funding isn't the answer to the first Nations people problems, it's how it's used and how it can be properly distributed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back