Opinion Reckon we could / would change our name for Sir Doug Nicholls Round in future years?

Thoughts on changing our club name for Sir Doug Nicholls Round in future years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love exposing hypocrites. But when they are a preacher with a mild to moderate education trying to explain the plight of Australian migrants. To a person brought up from an immigrant family. Now, this is definitely on another level of ignorance…..Best to know your audience.

Maybe you need to find yourself a more worthy cause for that overly unnecessary education you’ve attained. Just brainstorming here, why not set up a support group for university students and how best to utilize pronouns…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only people living in this country who aren't immigrants, or the progeny of immigrants are in fact first nations peoples so there's nothing particularly special about your circumstance.

This narrative that Aboriginal people are broken and helpless is so incredibly toxic. P

Who has claimed they are helpless?

People will never get better when you constantly tell them they're victims and broken, it becomes ingrained in a victim mentality.

They're not being told they're broken and victims, they are broken and they are victims.

Do you have a good reason why we shouldn't rename all our cities and suburbs to their indigenous names?

Nup

What's the problem with learning a few altered names?

I don’t think there is any?

I am aware of the report and it is mainly talking about remote communities. I have no doubt that remote communities need a lot of assistance and have said so in previous posts. first Nations people have everything you and I have access to if they live in the cities. I agree with the training up of 500 Indigenous medical staff and all the other things proposed in that report. My problem is that there is so much need in the all communities that isn't being funding any where near enough. We have single mums living in their cars with their kids right here in Melbourne because their partners leave them and they have no way of supporting themselves. There is no where for them to go and what there is, is pathetic. We have women in abusive relationships that have no where to go but a shelter for a few nights. we have families living in asbestos ridden commission homes with inadequate heating and space for them. We have people waiting for over 5 years to get public housing. I could go on forever. more funding isn't the answer to the first Nations people problems, it's how it's used and how it can be properly distributed

And well-meaning bureaucrats and politicians are habitually telling them what they need, and how they'll deliver it. The adoption of the voice to our constitution will hopefully change that for the better.

Not sure where the figure of "30 billion dollars a year for decades" comes from, sounds like bulldust.

A few years ago indigenous affairs got about 4 billion, i think its in that ballpark. There is more use of welfare by indigenous people (1.5 to 2 times as much on average) because most are poor, have poor health etc. so rhat prolly bumps it up.

It's true there's corruption and some families do better than others because of the way land rights are administered. Indigenous people are hardly Robinaon Crusoe and it's nothing compared to your miners, media families etc. It's bad but there's worse, save some outrage.

Nothing to be scared of changing a clubs name for a flavour round Ayers Rock got its name changed to Uluru and no one died from it yet.

An old lady got cranky? Harden up, no reason to get scared about her.

Definitely indigenous peoples face a range of challenges I don't. If you're angry a footy clubs name got changed for a fortnight imagine how angry you'd be if your entire language got banned.

Indigenous peoples have had a good kicking for a couple centuries and it takes time to adjust from a stone age set of cultures to the industrial age. The challenges of being used as a prison, gwtting forced onto a new diet, given new diseases and drigs, dislocation and dispossesion etc take centuries of adjustment.

Gotta say resentment directed at indigenous groups is weird. The vast majority are hardly living easy on welfare, and while there are rorts, there's much bigger rorts in our society.

Submarine contracts, private schools getting public money, tax breaks for churches, gas being pumped out of the country, foreign miners walking off with our minerals and multinationals stealing the Murray Darling river spring to mind as much bigger problems.

But if it makes you feel good to accuse some poor old lady of being some kind of threat while Rupert has been picking our governments for us please carry on.

So you support changing all our cities and suburbs to their indigenous names?

I’d support the decision of the locals to change or retain the name of their suburb from or to anything as long as it doesn’t offend anybody. Sure, why not?

As for my own suburb, I’d be happy with either the current official name or the indigenous name. Both are pretty cool.

I’d support the decision of the locals to change or retain the name of their suburb from or to anything as long as it doesn’t offend anybody. Sure, why not?

As for my own suburb, I’d be happy with either the current official name or the indigenous name. Both are pretty cool.

Do you personally want to change the names to indigenous names?

Do you personally want to change the names to indigenous names?

I personally don’t see its my place to tell people what the name of where they live should be.

What’s the point of imposing this on people? It just pisses off people like Wearmouth who would park his rocking chair next to the “Bungeet West Population 45” town sign with a shotgun in his lap to defend it. Nobody wants that.

I personally don’t see its my place to tell people what the name of where they live should be.

What’s the point of imposing this on people? It just pisses off people like Wearmouth who would park his rocking chair next to the “Bungeet West Population 45” town sign with a shotgun in his lap to defend it. Nobody wants that.

You're not telling anyone, it's your personal opinion of whether its a good thing to change names to their indigenous names to pay respect to the indigenous community.

You're not telling anyone, it's your personal opinion of whether its a good thing to change names to their indigenous names to pay respect to the indigenous community.

You’re asking me if I reckon everybody should wear lime green T-shirts. If people want to wear a lime green T-Shirt, that’s their choice. I’m not in favour of imposing it on people because that would mobilise an “Anti-Lime-Green-T-Shirt” movement of objectors who don’t like being told what to do. And how would that help society’s embrace of Lime Green T-Shirts?

It is my place to have an opinion about the name of the suburb where I live, and as I said I’d be OK with it changing to its indigenous name.

Last edited:

It’s neither good nor bad, it’s just change. I don’t have any issues with names being changed. The only negative would be the cost. I think Moreland Council is spending something like $0.5M just to change signage as a consequence of their name change. You extrapolate that across every council and you’re talking a fortune that could likely be better spent.

It’s neither good nor bad, it’s just change. I don’t have any issues with names being changed. The only negative would be the cost. I think Moreland Council is spending something like $0.5M just to change signage as a consequence of their name change. You extrapolate that across every council and you’re talking a fortune that could likely be better spent.

Yes, that's a good point, but Kappa says that you don't have to tell anyone that the name is changing.

That'll bring some savings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was in that Council at the time and was really annoyed at the process. For reference the area is highly multicultural with a strong Lebanese section and a lot of Maltese and Italians.

Once the previously unknown racist overtones of Moreland were unearthed and the Green council decided a name change was needed, it was inferred the electorate would get a vote.

We instead got to vote for three pre determined indigenous names and then the rhetoric was how strongly the residents supported an indigenous name change.

They also had the audacity to suggest the 500k was not going to increase council rates because it was in budget!! How dumb do they think we are? The budget doesn’t have name changes, it has bin collections, community support, maintenance and upgrades to infrastructure.

I live near Merri-bek.

I don't mind the name change, even though it doesn't actually address much.

To me "rebranding" is petty and involves accelerating maintenence costs, replacing signage and branding all at once instead of as they fail/turnover. Half a mill? Not sure but it sounds like a sum councilors happily spend on virtue signalling.

Renaming an organisation is a classic move when the administration has no idea what to do next, or they screwed up and need a distraction.

Symbolic stuff like ANZAC Day and welcome to country is essentially window dressing but it does matter. I get snakey when people denigrate the services, ANZAC Day acknowledges good faith sacrifice win lose or draw. You can moan it glorifies war or its a waste, I will argue with until we are blue in the face.

Indigenous people getting a scrap of respect at footy games orin a council rebrand is symbolic but symbols matter. Real services and programs matter more.

Changing names hurts feelings and feelings are real. We're gonna get things wrong, be accidentally and deliberately racist and throw away good things as well as bad ones.

The company i work for has an indigenous employment program, like nearly all big companies, and the large group of indigenous people I work with are just normal people who live normal lives and don't buy into the victim mentality or constantly make everything about race.
Do you get that the indigenous employment program at your work that has helped this to occur hasn't happened by chance. It's the result of people pointing out the inequality (your supposed victim mentality) and advocating to help provide more opportunity to bridge the gap.

Please enlighten, what is it that they don’t feel equal in?

Considering we all fall under the same laws. Are there special clauses that I’m not aware of…..

I was tempted to say this is a new low from you, but it really isn't. It's just a continuation of you being a shithouse human being

I was tempted to say this is a new low from you, but it really isn't. It's just a continuation of you being a shithouse human being

Tipping these wonderful “thoughts” of his don’t see the light of day outside the anonymity of the internet.

Shithouse and pissweak.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Please enlighten, what is it that they don’t feel equal in?

Considering we all fall under the same laws. Are there special clauses that I’m not aware of…..

Do you not understand that equal laws, even if applied equally, don't remove a forced cycle of disadvantage and trauma that needs to be overcome?

MOD NOTICE:

Again, posting on this topic is fast veering into unacceptable territory and approaching the line.

Think before you post, and if you can’t abide by the site rules or if you don’t understand how these are applied then do not post in this thread at all. That also goes for replies to objectionable posts.

There is ZERO tolerance for racism, racist slurs and tropes, insults to other posters.

Anzacday Maggie5 Gone Critical Jen2310

Do you not understand that equal laws, even if applied equally, don't remove a forced cycle of disadvantage and trauma that needs to be overcome?
Of course he doesn't. If there is one thing his posting history exhibits above all else, it's a complete and utter lack of understanding anything

Not sure where the figure of "30 billion dollars a year for decades" comes from, sounds like bulldust.

A few years ago indigenous affairs got about 4 billion, i think its in that ballpark. There is more use of welfare by indigenous people (1.5 to 2 times as much on average) because most are poor, have poor health etc. so rhat prolly bumps it up.

It's true there's corruption and some families do better than others because of the way land rights are administered. Indigenous people are hardly Robinaon Crusoe and it's nothing compared to your miners, media families etc. It's bad but there's worse, save some outrage.

Nothing to be scared of changing a clubs name for a flavour round Ayers Rock got its name changed to Uluru and no one died from it yet.

An old lady got cranky? Harden up, no reason to get scared about her.

Definitely indigenous peoples face a range of challenges I don't. If you're angry a footy clubs name got changed for a fortnight imagine how angry you'd be if your entire language got banned.

Indigenous peoples have had a good kicking for a couple centuries and it takes time to adjust from a stone age set of cultures to the industrial age. The challenges of being used as a prison, gwtting forced onto a new diet, given new diseases and drigs, dislocation and dispossesion etc take centuries of adjustment.

Gotta say resentment directed at indigenous groups is weird. The vast majority are hardly living easy on welfare, and while there are rorts, there's much bigger rorts in our society.

Submarine contracts, private schools getting public money, tax breaks for churches, gas being pumped out of the country, foreign miners walking off with our minerals and multinationals stealing the Murray Darling river spring to mind as much bigger problems.

But if it makes you feel good to accuse some poor old lady of being some kind of threat while Rupert has been picking our governments for us please carry on.

Thought it was pretty common knowledge these days...not sure sure about decades but the last decade at least.

Wouldn't worry me for a one off game to change the name in acknowledgement to the culture and in the language of the locality (country).

There isn't one indigenous language so it is interesting to see a commanality of language being used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back