Alex Condon (Future Cat B Candidate?)

Remove this Banner Ad

It is extremely hard for college players to be drafted. Typically around 60 draftees per year to go to the NBA from the thousands that play around all colleges around America. But NBA isn't the only league that pay players incredibly well, the EuroLeague pay around 20Mil for their rostered player per team. Even coming to the NBL, their roster cap is about 2.5M and this os supposed to be climbing. I feel like it's actually a long shot to make it to Collingwood.
Is it all about money though? Given he’s already actually made a public commitment to Collingwood if his NBA dream doesn’t work out, I’d say it’s very unlikely that he intends to go to Europe or anywhere else to play basketball if he doesn’t make the cut in the US. He didn’t have to do anything in regards to AFL clubs at this point, so it’s a pretty strong indicator that if he doesn’t make it to the NBA his preference would be to play football.

Would Collingwood have him on a training program or skills program whilst he is away? Does the commitment mean we monitor his training and support him during his college? It would make sense that he couldn’t come in cold if he does come to us.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You’re not seriously trying to suggest that he can’t experience the world while living in Australia playing AFL…?

Yep, I am seriously trying to suggest that.

Maybe Melbourne might offer him new experiences that he wouldn’t get in Perth -
but it’d be nothing like being in a place where they send scouts out all around the world to find players for their teams.

And? All the gloss of that stuff will be worn off within 12 months. If he’s there for a couple of years and is told he has no chance of playing in the NBA he’s not going to hang around for another 2 years because of nice facilities and the local girls.

Sure that may end up being the case.

Or it might be the case that all the gloss of being at ‘home’ and possibly playing for Collingwood may have worn off?

That puts them in the top 1-2% of universities worldwide iirc. I’m sure that paying for a uni degree like every other regular person isn’t going to stop him from coming back to Australia.

Agree

Any qualification he gets overseas will likely have to be supplemented by a local degree anyway so he’ll pay regardless.

Depends on the degree, but in general I’d doubt it.

Yes, you are applying your own flawed values. None of what you’re saying makes any sense in context of the actions Alex has already taken in regards to his potential basketball and football careers.

Condon doesn’t even become Cat B eligible until after the end of the 2024 season - and in that time he would have had almost sufficient time to get most degrees.

It makes perfect sense.

You’re simply saying what you’d do, …

What I did? And my perspectives at the time? Sure. That’s what we’re all doing, isn’t it?

If you’d asked me when I was young living overseas if I’d trade it all in for a rockstar lifestyle playing for Collingwood …

… LOL, no chance!

…not what he’d logically do under the circumstances.

Of course. None of us know that.

It seems you’re not really on top of this circumstances either

Of course. None of us are.

… given your opening argument was that he was incidentally playing basketball like Cox while getting his degree, when that was just blatantly untrue.

Huh?

Cox had aspirations to play in the NBA as well.

The only difference with Cox is that we now know with the benefit of hindsight that basketball didn’t work out for him.

Why would he shoot hoops with his mates in America when he could be playing football in Australia and earning really good money, surrounded by friends and family? Because of his college degree? We have some of the best universities in the world on our doorstep, if his education is that important to him (which I seriously doubt it is, I’d be interested to know what degree he’s doing, probably Arts or some nonsense).
It's all a guess. The Ollie Henry path is actually a rare one. Not many in any career path rush home to be surrounded by friends and family after two years (particularly when those friends and family will still be a decent length flight away). After two years of living on campus he will have formed some life long friendships and a fair chance he'll be in love. There will almost certainly be some strong reasons to see out his degree. However possibly also some strong reasons to move to Melbourne to get paid for playing footy. He'll have pretty good options either way. Good luck to him.

I’d question if you’re really a Collingwood supporter if that what you’d do.

I support peace in the Middle East, but that doesn’t mean that I have any aspirations to join the UN peace corps.

Yep, I am seriously trying to suggest that.

Maybe Melbourne might offer him new experiences that he wouldn’t get in Perth -
but it’d be nothing like being in a place where they send scouts out all around the world to find players for their teams.
Ok are you arguing for experiences here or are you arguing for scouts (which are largely irrelevant).
He’d have plenty of opportunities every year to travel the world in the offseason.
Sure that may end up being the case.

Or it might be the case that all the gloss of being at ‘home’ and possibly playing for Collingwood may have worn off?
Weird logic that the gloss wears off for something that he’s not even doing…
Agree

Depends on the degree, but in general I’d doubt it.
So what degree is he doing that’s going to provide him with amazing opportunities outside a sports career (which he’s clearly set on given his moves up to now).
Condon doesn’t even become Cat B eligible until after the end of the 2024 season - and in that time he would have had almost sufficient time to get most degrees.

It makes perfect sense.
US college degrees are 4 years are they not? The whole premise earlier in the thread was that Condon would be in the US for the full 4 years before learning if he was a chance of being drafted. We already know he’s not eligible for cat B until the end of next year.
What I did? And my perspectives at the time? Sure. That’s what we’re all doing, isn’t it?

If you’d asked me when I was young living overseas if I’d trade it all in for a rockstar lifestyle playing for Collingwood …

… LOL, no chance!
I’d wager that you’re in the minority there, and that your preferences would be vastly different to a kid who’s clearly trying to make a career as a sportsman.
Of course. None of us know that.
Basic logic can give us a pretty good idea of what his intentions are given his moves to this point.
Of course. None of us are.
Some less so than others it would seem.
Huh?

Cox had aspirations to play in the NBA as well.

The only difference with Cox is that we now know with the benefit of hindsight that basketball didn’t work out for him.
Cox went to college to get an engineering degree and only started playing basketball when the women’s team asked him to help them train. The coach from the men’s program then roped him in as a walk on player for them after seeing him training with the women.
Cox might have had a brief thought that he might be able to make the NBA, but he certainly didn’t go to college with any aspiration to become a basketball player.

I don’t know why you’ve chosen this hill to die on. There is absolutely no reasonable comparison between Cox incidentally playing college ball during his engineering degree and Condon going to the US on an actual basketball scholarship with aspirations to make it in the NBA. If you can show me some article about Cox going to college aspiring to get drafted to the NBA I’ll retract this, but as it stands I’m going to say you’re just making this up to suit your narrative.

What does a freshman college basketballer get paid now that NCAA athletes get paid?

Because a scholarship is obviously nice, but effectively he’s a full-time athlete and at least a part-time student; if he were back in Australia he could be the same and his AFL wage could pay for the continuation of his university education. It’s not that different.

The key is of course his NBA prospects. He will likely stay over there while he remains a decent chance of getting drafted into the NBA. If the advisory board makes it clear enough that he’s a longshot, and he’s already had a couple of years over there to soak up the experience, I could see him getting homesick and pulling the pin.

What does a freshman college basketballer get paid now that NCAA athletes get paid?

Because a scholarship is obviously nice, but effectively he’s a full-time athlete and at least a part-time student; if he were back in Australia he could be the same and his AFL wage could pay for the continuation of his university education. It’s not that different.

The key is of course his NBA prospects. He will likely stay over there while he remains a decent chance of getting drafted into the NBA. If the advisory board makes it clear enough that he’s a longshot, and he’s already had a couple of years over there to soak up the experience, I could see him getting homesick and pulling the pin.

Homesickness is unlikely to be a factor that draws him "back" to join Collingwood, as he's from WA. In two years time, he's going to have a much bigger network of connections in Florida than in Melbourne. A professional sporting career is the factor that may win out and bring him back early to Aust, but who knows

Homesickness is unlikely to be a factor that draws him "back" to join Collingwood, as he's from WA. In two years time, he's going to have a much bigger network of connections in Florida than in Melbourne. A professional sporting career is the factor that may win out and bring him back early to Aust, but who knows

Yeah maybe, but Americans are very American.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back