BBL crowds 2022/23

Remove this Banner Ad

The ludicrous notion that international cricket is in jeopardy is what actually fuels the negativity directed at the BBL btw.

What is the average crowd you think is a good result? I haven’t really heard anyone give that number. Are we still complaining if it hits 30k? If you want sell-outs every game, like most sports it's just not going to happen.

Then putting the average aside if less people in total watch games live and on TV do you think that is a good thing for a comp like the BBL?
What is the total number of people watching games live and on TV do you think is a good result? I haven't really heard you give that number. If 43 games isn't enough, why should 61 be sufficient. Need to expand it to 180, get way more viewers that way.

The ludicrous notion that international cricket is in jeopardy is what actually fuels the negativity directed at the BBL btw.

What is the total number of people watching games live and on TV do you think is a good result? I haven't really heard you give that number. If 43 games isn't enough, why should 61 be sufficient. Need to expand it to 180, get way more viewers that way.

I would of thought home and away makes sense as a fixture as a starting point. Always a start and end point

I am not having go at you just interested in what is a good average crowd and crowd wise what Cricket Australia want?

It will drop in the next few weeks but I think over 20k is fairly good for the Strikers. Always want more but I don't think 30k over the next few years is achievable even with four games.

I would of thought home and away makes sense as a fixture as a starting point. Always a start and end point

I am not having go at you just interested in what is a good average crowd and crowd wise what Cricket Australia want?

It will drop in the next few weeks but I think over 20k is fairly good for the Strikers. Always want more but I don't think 30k over the next few years is achievable even with four games.
For me, the number is whatever keeps Channel 7 and Fox paying CA enough to keep cricket going in Australia. For the broadcasters, it's like tennis, it's summertime background viewing for FTA viewers in Australia. They watch it because there's nothing else on and they haven't worked out how to use Netflix.

I really don't think the BBL needs to be a competitive league in the same way the AFL is. I don't think this works for cricket in the same way it does for other sports. Look at the world test championship - who really cares about that other than Indian fans?

For CA, the BBL is about making money. The quality doesn't matter as long as people keep turning up and they seem to be.

So, back to your question, what's the number? No idea. The number of spectators only matters because broadcasters don't want an empty stadium: looks bad. At a guess, something around 20K looks respectable.

So what's wrong with my suggestion. Expand it to 14 teams, full h&a = 182 games, way more viewers.

It will drop but I think over 20k is fairly good for the Strikers. Always want more but I don't think 30k is achievable even with four games.
Cricket Australia want >1.25m annual attendance from the Big Bash Leagues. The BBL got 1.14m (ave 26,531) in 2017/18 with the only 43-game season to date, then 1.19m (ave 18,353) in 2019/20 with the first 61-game season.

The extra 18 games provided practically no help in achieving the desired figure.

Look at the world test championship - who really cares about that other than Indian fans?
The Kiwis seemed pretty bloody happy about it when they won it and given how many times JL and the players have mentioned how disappointed they were to miss out on the final by an over rate penalty they seem to care about it too.

Although I guess it doesn't happen in Australia in December and January so Australians were never any chance to care about it.

Take out the T20 World Cup and games like India v Pakistan which was a one off the international summer was a disaster.

The BBL is already played in school holidays in most states or very close. The reduced games doesn't really make much difference.

What is the average crowd you think is a good result? I haven’t really heard anyone give that number. Are we still complaining if it hits 30k? If you want sell-outs every game, like most sports it's just not going to happen.

Then putting the average aside if less people in total watch games live and on TV do you think that is a good thing for a comp like the BBL?

Yet the MCG test will most likely in 3 days have more people attend than the 6 BBL games played at the MCG.

Yet the MCG test will most likely in 3 days have more people attend than the 6 BBL games played at the MCG.

As it should, getting other countries interested in test cricket and competitive is the issue but thats a discussion for the other thread.

The two Melbourne teams attendances are really poor. The point is reducing the games won't nessecarily increase the crowds or mean better players. I think there are other things that will improve the comp.

The Kiwis seemed pretty bloody happy about it when they won it and given how many times JL and the players have mentioned how disappointed they were to miss out on the final by an over rate penalty they seem to care about it too.

Although I guess it doesn't happen in Australia in December and January so Australians were never any chance to care about it.
I love the concept of a WTC, I think there’s a few things they do very poorly and it could be done better but that’s for another thread.

But just on this, why isn’t it in Australia in Dec/Jan? What’s their plans for the final going forward? Surely it’s not England every final and will be rotating through different conditions etc, . Surely also a 3 game series, a one off test only in England adds weight to the argument that it’s a micky mouse trophy which know one gives a * about. Which it currently is until they address the above.

I love the concept of a WTC, I think there’s a few things they do very poorly and it could be done better but that’s for another thread.

But just on this, why isn’t it in Australia in Dec/Jan? What’s their plans for the final going forward? Surely it’s not England every final and will be rotating through different conditions etc, . Surely also a 3 game series, a one off test only in England adds weight to the argument that it’s a micky mouse trophy which know one gives a * about. Which it currently is until they address the above.
2023 final is at The Oval and the 25 final is at Lord's.

BBL average crowds so far this season: pre-Christmas 10k (from 14 games, a 1/4 of the season), post-Christmas 18.5k (from 22 games).

Of those 14 games before Xmas, 4 of them were in regional centres (Launceston, Canberra, Cairns and Geelong), and one was at the small capacity of Junction Oval. So more than 1/3 of them were not at the big capital city stadiums.

Of the 22 games after Xmas (until 10/1/22), 3 of them were in regional centres (Albury, Geelong and Gold Coast) and one was at the small capacity of North Sydney Oval. So less than a 1/5 of them were not at the big capital city stadiums.

Being mindful the matches after Xmas also account for the big public holiday crowds. And include Melbourne and Sydney derby matches.

Though there were some pretty sad crowds in the big stadiums in Sydney and Melbourne before xmas. And a bad one in Adelaide, but that was on a Wednesday night when people still had school and work. So perhaps weekend only games whilst school is still on.

20230117_062210.jpg
Average crowd for a match in BBL12 is 15,555 - 715,544 for 46 matches to 20 January.

The attendances post T20I World Cup:
● ODI 3-match series versus England – 42,819 at 14,273.
● Test Series versus West Indies – 129,134 at 14,348.
● Test Series versus South Africa – 325,672 at 29,606.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Along with the average crowd there should be a capacity %.

Currently through 38 games it’s around 41% capacity

Bellerive - 8,253 (average after 4 games) following a crowd of 10,768 which is larger than any crowd for any sport in Hobart in 2022.
Still pretty good numbers for a city the size of Hobart but clearly a big drop from the numbers from the earlier days of the big bash.

Perhaps they reduce the number of teams. The Stars should be axed. The Heat is pretty average too but they need a team in Qld. Six teams is enough and may encourage bigger crowd. Stars can't pull a crowd and each season appear to get weaker. They usually have the worst list too so cannot attract good players. Another pathetic crowd at the MCG tonight saw the Stars inevitably beaten again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back