BBL crowds 2022/23

Remove this Banner Ad

The test teams and local T20 comp don't usually go hand in hand.
The fact that our BBL is well below every single other one (bar NZ and SL yet Abu Dhabi T10 and Bangladesh PL are ahead) is troubling.

I have said that why not allow Australiam companies to have a bidding war for the 8 teams

As much as I detest the BaBeL, lol..no…

What would money from despised people like Forrest, Gina the Hutch and great companies like Crown, Woodside, Rio Tinto or FFS Telstra actually bring? Paying more dosh to failed SS cricketers like Short and other park cricket sloggers or encouraging talent from struggling Test countries like WI and Bangladesh to ditch first class cricket would not achieve much.

The one exception I would make is to screw India by allowing local Teams to recruit just one International provided they are a top line Indian player, eg Kohli, Bumrah. Make the payments absurdly high so they break with India. Chaos would ensue and it would be hella funny.

So raise $1.0B pa and spend it on the best 8 Indian players.

The reality is the market for T20 cricket is kids. It is all bread and circuses where quality is immaterial and games are as memorable as the KFC you ate in June 2017.

Last edited:
the future of cricket is essentially a year long IPL consisting of T20 leagues with teams like the Melbourne Super Kings.

agreed

melbourne / mumbai / manchester / cape town stars all having the same squad and simply competing 8-9 months of the year against other ipl-backed franchises is the logical endpoint of private ownership

the big barrier is that i'm sure when push comes to show the ipl owners would rather an extra 3 weeks of ipl in the most populous country and at prime broadcast times as opposed to 6 weeks in oztraya

it'll crimp international cricket but i agree it's the future

I think we need some well known Aussie players

The problem with the World Cup was prices I wanted to go to a few games in Adelaide it was sooo expensive

Ticket prices were actually very good for the World Cup. The price of entry for a double header would be cheaper than for a BBL game. BBL tickets have crept up a bit in price over the years which has to be another factor in declining crowds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ticket prices were actually very good for the World Cup. The price of entry for a double header would be cheaper than for a BBL game. BBL tickets have crept up a bit in price over the years which has to be another factor in declining crowds.
I remember the old days of cheap BBL prices haven't been in years

The test teams and local T20 comp don't usually go hand in hand.
The fact that our BBL is well below every single other one (bar NZ and SL yet Abu Dhabi T10 and Bangladesh PL are ahead) is troubling.
The suggestion that the Bangladesh league is ahead of ours is crazy. Their star overseas players are Ryan Burl and Max O'Dowd - we've got the best T20 bowler in the world (Rashid Khan) plus Alex Hales and Chris Jordan just won a World Cup, and four of the 2021 winning side, too. And similar numbers from the runners-up in those tournaments, too.

I think we need some well known Aussie players

The problem with the World Cup was prices I wanted to go to a few games in Adelaide it was sooo expensive

I remember the old days of cheap BBL prices haven't been in years
So here's how much I've spent going to the cricket at Optus Stadium this year (all of these include the booking fees).

Family of four, level 1 - Scorchers vs Sixers $122.20
Family of four, level 3 - Pakistan vs Netherlands AND India vs South Africa $96.55
Single ticket, level 3 - Day 1 vs West Indies $56.20
Single ticket, level 3 - England vs Afghanistan $26.55

The T20 World Cup was pretty well-priced, I thought. Twenty bucks for a ticket to anything these days is pretty good, and for a once-in-a-decade event, that's nuts. $90 for the family for the double-header is exactly the same as we spent for a trip to the aquarium on Monday and were only there for an hour and a half. $86.55 to see a play in the last holidays. It's $91 for two adults and two kids for the Perth Zoo, too, so you can see how that lines up.

The Scorchers game cost more because we got better seats.

The suggestion that the Bangladesh league is ahead of ours is crazy. Their star overseas players are Ryan Burl and Max O'Dowd - we've got the best T20 bowler in the world (Rashid Khan) plus Alex Hales and Chris Jordan just won a World Cup, and four of the 2021 winning side, too. And similar numbers from the runners-up in those tournaments, too.
I think I mixed BPL and PSL

If you have a league where players are leaving half way through it then it is not a professional league. The Big bash needs to be played at a time when all players are available for the tournament and private ownership should be allowed. Always a step behind with these things in Australia

I think the best we can hope for is similar to football where we see International windows for games to be played. It won't be a big window, maybe room for three tests at most a few times a year but the rest of the time there will be club tournaments.

I feel like this is you crossing your fingers for this to happen rather than reality.

T20 is getting well and truly oversaturated and fatigue is going to set in at some point. There's way too many dud games and eventually people are going to realise that T20 as a sport offering isn't very different to other popular sports and is lower quality. The majority of people who watch the Big Bash only watch it because it's a digestible mainstream sport to tune into while the AFL is on a break, most of these people don't really care about it.

If we reach a point where there's only 3 Tests a year, they'll die off completely. Competitive games in Australia are getting rarer and rarer and the big 3 seem to be trying to hasten the demise rather than looking for ways to help these other sides learn our conditions. Less games will only make things worse.

If Cricket becomes 90% T20, the diehards will move onto other sports (T20 has nothing in common with Test Cricket) and long term interest will wane over a couple of decades killing off the whole sport, I'm certain of that.

T20 is best played by those who are not up to first class çricket. The Adelaide Stinkers heroes, Lynn and Short were abject failures at Shield level.

Babel is best played on nights following a day of Test cricket. Should run for 3 weeks from mid Dec.

private ownership allowed vs not allowed?

When the BBL was first announced private ownership was encouraged, at least in part. The problem was that there wasn't much demand from the private sector, so the state bodies effectively took over most of the franchises. Has it since been banned? Could the state bodies sell all or part of any given franchise if they wanted?

I can see the benefits of bringing new money into the league, especially if it keeps dropping down the pecking order around the world.

T20 is best played by those who are not up to first class çricket. The Adelaide Stinkers heroes, Lynn and Short were abject failures at Shield level.

Babel is best played on nights following a day of Test cricket. Should run for 3 weeks from mid Dec.

To be fair, Lynn averages over 40 in FC Cricket and scored a 250 in one of his last games.

He gave it up because his body was too fragile and his technique has probably weakened over time.

I agree with your point though, there's a lot of cricketers who get a go now who would never have gotten near professional cricket in previous decades.

I think the problem with that theory is as the years go on more prioritise contracts in the 20/20 comps rather than a domestic contact with for example the Queemsland Bulls. We are seeing it already at International level.

Players now a days see playing domestic long form Cricket is for guys not good enough to be playing in a 20/20 comp somewhere, not the orher away around.

I think the problem with that theory is as the years go on more prioritise contracts in the 20/20 comps rather than a domestic contact with for example the Queemsland Bulls. We are seeing it already at International level.

Players now a days see playing domestic long form Cricket is for guys not good enough to be playing in a 20/20 comp somewhere, not the orher away around.

Can't really blame them, who would rather play in front of hundreds if you can play in front of tens of thousands?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back