first test of the aussie summer 23/24

Remove this Banner Ad

The far more likely scenario is Marsh being dropped after a couple of dud tests. He wont have a long leash.
I think it's the right call to play Marsh first up, but agreed - pull the pin pretty quickly and bring Green back in if it's clear MM's form hasn't held up from that amazing restart in the test team.

If Marsh's form recedes, he's far from the worst guy to have floating around as our next in line middle order batsman, given you could put him anywhere from 3 to 6 and he can bowl a few overs. Hopefully, some of the younger group push over the rest of the summer to take that next in line mantle, but early signs are we are going to be waiting another 12 months, unfortunately.

Still think we need to pick an actual opener renshaw bancroft harris whoever, no point running from reality of situation as we will likely need two new openers within a year or maybe 18 months and messing with heads position or marnus just to accommodate green and marsh seems nuts to me as green is out of form and looked very low on confidence in ashes and marsh is 32 years old with a first class average of 33 and test average of 27 expecting him to suddenly be a consistent test match bat is expecting a lot he will play the occasional very nice innings and not much inbetween.

We need to pick an opener for windies series to replace warner and we need to decide between marsh and green as allrounder for that series.

I can't seem to find it anywhere - what are the playing times for the first test?

I see it starts at 1:20 AWST, but is the long break the first one or the second one? I can't remember how they do it in D/N tests.
It's not a D/N Test so the breaks will just be as normal. The match starts at 10:20 AWST, 40 mins lunch, 20 mins tea.

As I said before if the replacement comes down to Bancroft renshaw Harris or green .. I would pick greenie hands down
It shouldn’t come down to that really. Bison and Green are competing for one spot, the opener should be a completely different discussion. Green will be back in the team very quickly, either for Bison or potentially one of the bowlers. I wouldn’t mind seeing him bat higher, but his scores need to justify that move. Out of Bangers, Harris or Renshaw I’m leaning to Renshaw due to age and his recent performance in the pm xi game. Harris and bangers are much of a muchness for me, both have flaws, both older so I worry whether they will be able to fix them.

Test match thread up.

And neither Marsh or Green are in the best seven bats in the country, they are all rounders and picked because they bat and bowl.
Don't think that's very true of Marsh anymore. He doesn't bowl anywhere near as much as he once did.

Not even sure it's completely accurate on Green who bowls on a heavy pitch count, so his all-round status is flakey as it is. They're both more part time bowlers and primary bats at this point, hence the push to put Green up the order as opener or at least in the top 4/5.

As Greens body matures though he will become a genuine bowler as well imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

messing with heads position or marnus just to accommodate green and marsh seems nuts to me
This is a good point. Head and Marnus are probably our 2 best bats these days (Smith is on a fair decline), what has Green done to warrant messing them up to fit him in? It's not like he has a wealth of form that shows you can't possibly leave him out and you just have to find a way to fit him in.

He's a modest batting career so far and while there's potential there is it really a good idea to mess with your 2 best bats in order to hope that potential cashes in? Really, he needs to fit in around those guys as opposed to push the top guys out of the way for him.

It shouldn’t come down to that really. Bison and Green are competing for one spot, the opener should be a completely different discussion. Green will be back in the team very quickly, either for Bison or potentially one of the bowlers. I wouldn’t mind seeing him bat higher, but his scores need to justify that move. Out of Bangers, Harris or Renshaw I’m leaning to Renshaw due to age and his recent performance in the pm xi game. Harris and bangers are much of a muchness for me, both have flaws, both older so I worry whether they will be able to fix them.
The openers should be a separate discussion, but the rather bare cupboard (and the fact we will be needing two in the next 18 months or so) is what's driving the more unusual discussions. I reckon even if Bancroft is first cab off the rank, comes in and does well, the same discussion will rear it's head when Khawaja retires, because an opening duo of Bancroft/Harris, Bancroft/Renshaw or Harris/Renshaw seems very flakey.

The openers should be a separate discussion, but the rather bare cupboard (and the fact we will be needing two in the next 18 months or so) is what's driving the more unusual discussions. I reckon even if Bancroft is first cab off the rank, comes in and does well, the same discussion will rear it's head when Khawaja retires, because an opening duo of Bancroft/Harris, Bancroft/Renshaw or Harris/Renshaw seems very flakey.
How many teams around the world really have 2 set openers at any given time? Most have maybe 1 set opener while the other is usually something of a revolving door.

India relatively recently have Gill and Rohit but for a long time it was Rohit and whoever was lucky enough to get picked.

England always had just a guy at the other end during Cooks career, and only recently have settled on 2 openers - 1 of which is very average but is picked on potential so even that's not a straight up 2 set opener situation.

Elgar has been South Africas set opener for a while but hasn't had a legit partner.

NZ have Latham and whoever.

So this idea that we have to pick the next opener who will be "the guy" doesn't really line up with history or how most teams are set up. Most of the time it's next cab off the rank who is at least in form, and hope they can at least do a job for a while. Ideally your other opener leads the way, which would be the case with Khawaja and whoever is picked.

Warner for a long time had a big rotation of openers. Rogers came good for a brief period then it was scattered again until Khawaja came good. It's really not an unusual position to be in, rather it's pretty much the standard position and if you do have 2 you are very fortunate.

How many teams around the world really have 2 set openers at any given time? Most have maybe 1 set opener while the other is usually something of a revolving door.

India relatively recently have Gill and Rohit but for a long time it was Rohit and whoever was lucky enough to get picked.

England always had just a guy at the other end during Cooks career, and only recently have settled on 2 openers - 1 of which is very average but is picked on potential so even that's not a straight up 2 set opener situation.

Elgar has been South Africas set opener for a while but hasn't had a legit partner.

NZ have Latham and whoever.

So this idea that we have to pick the next opener who will be "the guy" doesn't really line up with history or how most teams are set up. Most of the time it's next cab off the rank who is at least in form, and hope they can at least do a job for a while. Ideally your other opener leads the way, which would be the case with Khawaja and whoever is picked.

Warner for a long time had a big rotation of openers. Rogers came good for a brief period then it was scattered again until Khawaja came good. It's really not an unusual position to be in, rather it's pretty much the standard position and if you do have 2 you are very fortunate.
True, but the combinations of Bancroft/Harris, Bancroft/Renshaw or Harris/Renshaw leave you with no set opener. You'd be hoping Renshaw establishes himself for the long-term as the youngest of the three. But I would be worried that we would often by 2-very little with those line-ups and Marnus would be effectively opening anyway. I prefer a traditional set-up but I can see why the conversation is being had.

True, but the combinations of Bancroft/Harris, Bancroft/Renshaw or Harris/Renshaw leave you with no set opener. You'd be hoping Renshaw establishes himself for the long-term as the youngest of the three. But I would be worried that we would often by 2-very little with those line-ups and Marnus would be effectively opening anyway. I prefer a traditional set-up but I can see why the conversation is being had.
This has already been happening the past 2 or 3 years anyway with Warner being so hopeless so it's not a change for Marnus. Most of the time the no.3 is in in the first 5 overs and essentially opening anyway - even with 2 good openers. The effect is probably more on the no.4 as both openers are more likely to go instead of just 1.

But I agree the issue is moreso post Khawaja than post Warner. Hopefully Usman is keen to go for another 12-18 months which does give time for someone to stand up properly, or for his partner to establish themselves whoever that might be.

Absolutely, I just don’t think weakening the order/ moving Green up should really be on the table currently.

It will rear its head sooner than that in my opinion, the second one of the 3 above gets a low score will be all it takes.

What will the crowd be? Will Western Australians turn up?
More than last year but not by much looking at ticket master. I got a decent seat for day 3 pretty easily, if the match is still interesting by then.

There's a sizeable Pakistani community here which probably props it up.

All the more reason to try and get a Warner replacement established now, before Khawaja goes.

Even based on fielding I'm not sure Warner would be a better test fielder than Bancroft.

Warner is a great white ball fielder in that he can patrol the boundary with speed, but in terms of hands etc. Bancroft is at least the equal so his slip fielding would be as good, his bat pad work would be better. In the test format fielding is a wash between them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back