first test of the aussie summer 23/24

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes he has a flaw but he has acknowledged it and has been working on it....and you can see the results the past two seasons in the shield averaging over 50 plus...also everyone one of our top six has technical flaws in fact every batter since Bradman has had something wrong with there technique

If we are going to play this game of compare the pair ....

Renshaw hasn't dominated the shield since he has been dropped thats my issue with him plus as a fielder he is just blah...alright set of hands but slow in the field.If Renshaw was coming in after dominating the shield I would have no issue with him being up the top in fact I can see him as a replacement for Ussie next year. But I want him to dominate the shield first.

Out of three Bancroft is the superior fielder has taken 4 catches in the slips twice I think this shield season plus he is awesome at back pad and he provides the RH at the top of the order which I think is important

Fully agree on Harris he always looks good and always throws it away...frustrates the hell out of me...plus he is shocking in the field

But as I stated before in previous threads...if the replacement for Warner..is Harris Bancroft Renshaw...and Green is on the bench
well I would pick Greenie anyday of the week over those three
Surely Westy you wouldn't open with Green before Bancroft or Renshaw?

Green was struggling at 6, opening is a lot harder.

And please don't say move someone else to open.
You don't upset the balance of a side to fit someone in.

I get what you mean by the technical flaw, but even with that the past 2 seasons Bancroft has averaged 59 in 11 matches & 56 in 6 so far this season), while Renshaw has averaged 52 in 5 games & 32 in 6 so far this season. Bancroft is significantly ahead.

Renshaw has also been found wanting when stepping up to the next level - hasn't gone past 50 in his past 8 tests, being recalled 3 times. Bancroft, you could argue, was finding his feet a bit before being banned with 2 50s in 3 tests in a tense South Africa series. His return V England didn't look good though.

We do agree though that neither seem to be the answer really at test level regardless. It's a bit of a worry there's such a dearth of options that the best of the bunch is one we know won't work anyway. The main reason I like Bancroft more than the other 2 is he's the best field of them all, easily. So at least he may contribute in some ways even if not with the bat. In my mind he's the best bat pad in the world and could also replace Warner in the slips.

So I think runs wise he's the clear no.1 (despite not believing any will succeed, ultimately) and he offers more in the field.

And that will probably be a factor, given it's a bit of a toss up. I agree Bancroft is ahead, and with no Shield before the blessed day when Warner goes, that's probably how it stays. Renshaw made a good hundred today, but I note he wasn't opening.

I don't think Shane Watson, Usman Khawaja or Simon Katich had opened the batting much, if at all, before they opened for Australia in a test match. And they're three of the better ones we've had in recent years.

It can work.

It's an outside possibility but only somewhere down the road if Bancroft doesn't work out and we're starting to look at Usman Khawaja hanging up the boots, meaning we've got two openers spots to fill.

Green opening would very much be a roll of the dice to see if we can find an opener out of nowhere.

Looks like Marsh is starting at six but there is high possibility he'll revert to his test cricket standard after a good comeback in the Ashes, which would open up a spot for Green in the #6 spot.

I think it's obvious Green is more suited up the order around 4, but in no world is a selector/captain/coach moving arguably our second greatest batsmen (Smith) and a very in form Travis Head down a spot in the order to accommodate the new(ish) guy who has not quite found his feet at test level.

The new guy has either gotta perform to a level that forces that change or wait for a retirement up the order. In this case, Smith is probably eyeing off a WTC final (outside chance he looks to go for another Ashes tour) and if Green is either in the team or next cab of the rank, I would expect him to have first crack at Smith's #4 role.

Right now, there is no reason to expect any change in Labs 3, Head 5 for quite some time.

I don't think Shane Watson, Usman Khawaja or Simon Katich had opened the batting much, if at all, before they opened for Australia in a test match. And they're three of the better ones we've had in recent years.

It can work.
Of course it can work.

Pretty sure when Katich and Watson were promoted, they were in good form.

Green is struggling at test level at 6.

He's a batting all-rounder, not an opening bat IMO.

I get what you mean by the technical flaw, but even with that the past 2 seasons Bancroft has averaged 59 in 11 matches & 56 in 6 so far this season), while Renshaw has averaged 52 in 5 games & 32 in 6 so far this season. Bancroft is significantly ahead.

Renshaw has also been found wanting when stepping up to the next level - hasn't gone past 50 in his past 8 tests, being recalled 3 times. Bancroft, you could argue, was finding his feet a bit before being banned with 2 50s in 3 tests in a tense South Africa series. His return V England didn't look good though.

We do agree though that neither seem to be the answer really at test level regardless. It's a bit of a worry there's such a dearth of options that the best of the bunch is one we know won't work anyway. The main reason I like Bancroft more than the other 2 is he's the best field of them all, easily. So at least he may contribute in some ways even if not with the bat. In my mind he's the best bat pad in the world and could also replace Warner in the slips.

So I think runs wise he's the clear no.1 (despite not believing any will succeed, ultimately) and he offers more in the field.
Opening in England against the swinging ball has the be the toughest possible test, especially when you think you are batting for your career. I wouldn't judge Bancroft as harshly for failing in a couple of Tests in England.

It's an outside possibility but only somewhere down the road if Bancroft doesn't work out and we're starting to look at Usman Khawaja hanging up the boots, meaning we've got two openers spots to fill.

Green opening would very much be a roll of the dice to see if we can find an opener out of nowhere.

Looks like Marsh is starting at six but there is high possibility he'll revert to his test cricket standard after a good comeback in the Ashes, which would open up a spot for Green in the #6 spot.

I think it's obvious Green is more suited up the order around 4, but in no world is a selector/captain/coach moving arguably our second greatest batsmen (Smith) and a very in form Travis Head down a spot in the order to accommodate the new(ish) guy who has not quite found his feet at test level.

The new guy has either gotta perform to a level that forces that change or wait for a retirement up the order. In this case, Smith is probably eyeing off a WTC final (outside chance he looks to go for another Ashes tour) and if Green is either in the team or next cab of the rank, I would expect him to have first crack at Smith's #4 role.

Right now, there is no reason to expect any change in Labs 3, Head 5 for quite some time.

If Marsh is starting, I wouldn't be concerned for Green. I would imagine he will be back in the side before long, probably before the summer is over.

Number 4 seems like a natural position for Green, but he needs to have more influence with the bat than an average of 30 odd to bat 4.

What Green does is perfectly fine for an all rounder, takes some wickets, makes some runs, takes some nice catches. Rarely in the same game. To bat 4 he needs influence games like that one in India where he came out and took the game on (not really strike rate but intent).

Of course it can work.

Pretty sure when Katich and Watson were promoted, they were in good form.

Green is struggling at test level at 6.

He's a batting all-rounder, not an opening bat IMO.
Shane Watson's career batting average before opening the batting for Australia was 19.76. And he'd been out of the side for more than six months. Oh, and he'd tried opening the batting for Queensland and averaged 4.67 from six innings, with four ducks. It was a total gamble. Reports from the time suggest he was picked as much as anything for his bowling, as Mitchell Johnson was struggling.

Simon Katich had been out of the test team for 2.5 years. He'd piled on the runs in the shield but he was batting at 3, not opening. And he only got a spot back in the test team in the West Indies because Matthew Hayden was injured.

Whether it's Green, Marsh, Labuschagne or someone else entirely is something to be worked out - but for me, the three main contenders (Renshaw, Bancroft and Harris) have all proved that they can't make the jump to opening at test level successfully, so we should be looking at others as well.

Renshaw is the only one with a test century. That counts for something, IMO.

And his test career has been spent mostly on spinning wickets overseas, whereas Harris and Bancroft are mostly on much friendlier pitches and environments.
Yep Renshaw 2017 tour of India was a decent pass mark.

I think he did better then warner.

Plus his 180 at the SCG was a decent knock.

I think when they originally dropped him they weren't expecting him to be out of the loop for 6 years basically.

Langer never gave him a start during his coaching stint. He picked his WA buddies and Joe Burns ahead of him.

I think there was a personality clash somewhere. He was in the squad for the UAE in 2018 got left out for Aaron Finch and never got a look in.

Opening in England against the swinging ball has the be the toughest possible test, especially when you think you are batting for your career. I wouldn't judge Bancroft as harshly for failing in a couple of Tests in England.
He shouldn't have even been there. I couldn't believe walking into the ground Edgbaston in 2019 on day 1 his name got read to open the batting.

Langer pulled the WA card and rushed him back when his technique looked worse after 12 months out then what it did when he copped the ban.

Yep Renshaw 2017 tour of India was a decent pass mark.

I think he did better then warner.

Plus his 180 at the SCG was a decent knock.

I think when they originally dropped him they weren't expecting him to be out of the loop for 6 years basically.

Langer never gave him a start during his coaching stint. He picked his WA buddies and Joe Burns ahead of him.

I think there was a personality clash somewhere. He was in the squad for the UAE in 2018 got left out for Aaron Finch and never got a look in.

He averaged in the 20s on 30s every Shield season so I wouldn't say Renshaw bangs the door down for selection.

I origionally thought Warner wanted to play the whole summer which I was on the same page as most, I thought it was selfish but he only wants to play the Pakistan series which leaves 2 Tests for whoever they choose to replace him.. I don't think its that bad after all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shane Watson's career batting average before opening the batting for Australia was 19.76. And he'd been out of the side for more than six months. Oh, and he'd tried opening the batting for Queensland and averaged 4.67 from six innings, with four ducks. It was a total gamble. Reports from the time suggest he was picked as much as anything for his bowling, as Mitchell Johnson was struggling.

Simon Katich had been out of the test team for 2.5 years. He'd piled on the runs in the shield but he was batting at 3, not opening. And he only got a spot back in the test team in the West Indies because Matthew Hayden was injured.

Whether it's Green, Marsh, Labuschagne or someone else entirely is something to be worked out - but for me, the three main contenders (Renshaw, Bancroft and Harris) have all proved that they can't make the jump to opening at test level successfully, so we should be looking at others as well.
Did Renshaw really get a decent crack at opening at test level though?

Got brought in as a raw 21 year old after that disasterous Hobart test. Made a big ton in his second test. Did decently well in India in 2017. Then dropped because of poor county and shield form. Thrust back in for 1 test with little notice and the rest of the team was cooked in the sandpapergate series.

Brought in last summer in the middle order and then against India where basically everyone collapsed too.

Interestingly, Renshaw averages nearly 46 when facing the first ball and 18 when opening second (33.61) overall. To me that’s not exactly a failure for someone who’s only played a handful of tests.

Yo Tuggs....I think Ian Chappell once said you pick your best 11 cricketers in the country and go from there

and yeah I honestly believe that Green is a better cricketer than Renshaw Harris or Bancroft and it would not sit right for me seeing Green sitting on the bench with one of those above playing. Green for me is still in the best 11 cricketers in Australia right now . Do I think Bancroft Renshaw deserve a spot? ...yeah I do Bancroft more than Renshaw due to his runs in the shield but I just think Greens all-round package of bowling fielding batting is more favourable than those above. you could argue Bancroft fielding is pretty elite

Green struggling at six? yeah but it is acceptable for me 33 with the bat 36 with the ball its okay. We saw how thrown out the side was when he was injured with the finger in India...and when he came back scored the ton, we win a test. Goes to his first tour of the old dart and struggles...was also used terribly by Cummins with the ball. But lets remember he wasn't dropped he was injured and marsh came in and smacked the 100 which was fantastic then they had the issue because the wanted the spinner..and green was left out ..thats fine for me.

My biggest concern ...and we will probably get a way with it this year due the opposition is the ability for Marsh to bowl 10 overs in a day..I can just see him coming onto bowl 2/3 overs calf strain or something ...thats what concerns me his batting has been good but I cannot see him backing up from a bowling stint....reckon it will affect his batting which has been good at six.

You say "You don't upset the balance of a side to fit someone in"...I can see where you are coming from Tuggs but like it or not the balance of the side is going to be thrown with Warner leaving...we can see how much discussion it has already caused...who is going to be the replacement etc and you need to fit someone in it....and IMO you pick the best 11 cricketers in Australia and go from there and if that means Green or Head to open which I stated in a previous post ....well I am happy with that

Last edited:
Did Renshaw really get a decent crack at opening at test level though?

Got brought in as a raw 21 year old after that disasterous Hobart test. Made a big ton in his second test. Did decently well in India in 2017. Then dropped because of poor county and shield form. Thrust back in for 1 test with little notice and the rest of the team was cooked in the sandpapergate series.
I wouldn't use the SA test against him, and the The Indian ones were an aberration too. But likewise the 180 at Sydney stands out as an outlier and doing alot to make his average look better than it was.

And I'd hardly call averaging 29 'decently well'. Its basically what Warner has done for the past 12 months.

Also consider this....

What happens when we tour the subcontinent and India ??? where does Head bat ??

Only 12 months ago it was a basically a given that Head struggled against spin starting in the middle order against spin he was dropped ..and guess what when Warner was injured Head was promoted to the top of the ordering it worked ...he got us off the good starts in both of the tests 40 odds plus a 90 ..we won one and Greenie scored a hundred in the middle order.

Yes I understand the argument that Head has been going fantastic at number 5...but not in spinning conditions in the subcontinent where we play lots of cricket......not so much.. are we going to have to change Head batting position of 5 to open every time we tour India ???...I think that creates more upheaval and questions IMO.

Ask yourself this would the Indian bowlers rather bowl at head at the top of the order or Harris Bancroft or Renshaw...I know who I would rather bowl to.

I just think the media has gone into overdrive in who to replace Warner ......this stupid bat off they keep going on with Harris v Renshaw V Bancroft ....the answer has been staring us into the face this whole time...promote Head. You kill two birds with one stone IMO... Head bats well as opener in the subcontinent plus you get to have Green in the middle order at number 5 as we know he is not suited to number six plus his bowling.

Yes I can hear your argument but what about Aussie conditions....well I would back Head to open he does it in the ODI format T20 Marsh cup.......I reckon he would be like Warner was when he was younger.....The field up he provides that impetus at the top of the order strikes fears into opening bowlers...if they stray off there line its going to the boundary ..coupled that with marsh hitting ability at six Ussie traditional role at the top...the two class batters of Marnus and Smith at 3/4 and the best upcoming batter/allrounder Greenie at 5....I think its a win win

Also consider this....

Only 12 months ago it was a basically a given that Head struggled against spin starting in the middle order against spin he was dropped ..and guess what when Warner was injured Head was promoted to the top of the ordering it worked ...he got us off the good starts in both of the tests 40 odds plus a 90 ..we won one and Greenie scored a hundred in the middle order.

Yes I understand the argument that Head has been going fantastic at number 5...but not in spinning conditions in the subcontinent where we play lots of cricket......not so much.. are we going to have to change Head batting position of 5 to open every time we tour India ???...I think that creates more upheaval and questions IMO.

Ask yourself this would the Indian bowlers rather bowl at head at the top of the order or Harris Bancroft or Renshaw...I know who I would rather bowl to.

I just think the media has gone into overdrive in who to replace Warner ......this stupid bat off they keep going on with Harris v Renshaw V Bancroft ....the answer has been staring us into the face this whole time...promote Head. You kill two birds with one stone IMO... Head bats well as opener in the subcontinent plus you get to have Green in the middle order at number 5 as we know he is not suited to number six plus his bowling.

Yes I can hear your argument but what about Aussie conditions....well I would back Head to open he does it in the ODI format T20 Marsh cup.......I reckon he would be like Warner was when he was younger.....The field up he provides that impetus at the top of the order strikes fears into opening bowlers...if they stray off there line its going to the boundary ..coupled that with marsh hitting ability at six Ussie traditional role at the top...the two class batters of Marnus and Smith at 3/4 and the best upcoming batter/allrounder Greenie at 5....I think its a win win
We don't tour India until 2027 I'm pretty sure. I'd rather we focus on finding our opener now as well as deciding on our current number 6, rather than forecasting years into the future. Head has dominated at 5 there's no need to change it IMO

We don't tour India until 2027 I'm pretty sure. I'd rather we focus on finding our opener now as well as deciding on our current number 6, rather than forecasting years into the future. Head has dominated at 5 there's no need to change it IMO

Here's our schedule for the current year and next three. I've greyed out the short-form schedules. Next two years, a fairly limited amount of test cricket .

2023-24 (13 tests, 7 remain)​

June: World Test Championship final v India – The Oval

June-July:
Five Test Ashes tour of England

September: Five ODIs and three T20s tour of South Africa.
Three ODI tour of India

October-November: ODI World Cup – India

November-December:
Five T20s tour of India

December: Three Tests v Pakistan

January: Two Tests v West Indies

February: Three ODIs and three T20s v West Indies

February-March: Two Tests and three T20s tour of NZ

2024-25 (7 tests)​

June: T20 World Cup – USA/Windies

August: Three T20s v Afghanistan (location TBC)

August-September: Three ODIs, one T20 tour of Ireland

September: Five ODIs and three T20s tour of England

November: Three ODIs and three T20s v Pakistan

December-January: Five-Test Border-Gavaskar series v India

February: Two-Test tour of Sri Lanka

February-March: ICC Champions Trophy (50-over) tournament – Pakistan

2025-26 (7-8 tests)​

June: World Test Championship final – Lord's (if qualified)

June-July: Two Tests, three ODI and three T20 tour of the West Indies

August: Three ODIs and three T20s v South Africa (To be played in northern Australia)

October: Three T20 tour of New Zealand

October-November: Three ODIs and five T20s v India

December-January: Five-Test Ashes series v England

February: Three T20s tour of Pakistan

February-March: T20 World Cup – India and Sri Lanka

March: Three ODIs tour of Pakistan

2026-27 (14 tests)​

June: Three ODIs and three T20s tour of Bangladesh

August: One Test and three T20s v Afghanistan (northern Australia)

September-October: Three Tests and three ODIs tour of South Africa

November-December: Three ODIs and five T20s v England

December-January: Three Tests v New Zealand

January-February: Five-Test Border-Gavaskar Series tour of India

March: Two Tests v Bangladesh

If we then look at our current squad and potential retirements:

Khawaja 36 - possibly at end of this summer, almost certainly by end of next summer, after SL tour
Warner 37 - already declared, gone after the Pakistan series
Smith 34 - possibly end of next summer? More likely will target the home series v England for his finale the year after.
Marsh 32 - expect to be gone by the end of the England series two years from now.
Carey 32 - expect to be gone by the end of the England series two years from now.
Starc 33 - probably end of next summer, after home series v India
Cummins 30 - may look to see out the full schedule, and target the tour to India and Bangladesh in early 2027.
Hazelwood 32 - perhaps as early as this year, if not, likely next year
Boland 34 - prob his last summer in the test squad.

Head 29, Labuschagne 29, Morris 25, Green 24 should all still be around at the end of this four-year period.

It's notable that there is an 8-month gap in test cricket after the 2025-26 home Ashes series. For that group of players that will be well into their mid-30s by then, you'd think it will be a very tempting time to hang up the boots - especially if we have a successful series.

Here's our schedule for the current year and next three. I've greyed out the short-form schedules. Next two years, a fairly limited amount of test cricket .

2023-24 (13 tests, 7 remain)​

June: World Test Championship final v India – The Oval

June-July:
Five Test Ashes tour of England

September: Five ODIs and three T20s tour of South Africa.
Three ODI tour of India

October-November: ODI World Cup – India

November-December:
Five T20s tour of India

December: Three Tests v Pakistan

January: Two Tests v West Indies

February: Three ODIs and three T20s v West Indies

February-March: Two Tests and three T20s tour of NZ

2024-25 (7 tests)​

June: T20 World Cup – USA/Windies

August: Three T20s v Afghanistan (location TBC)

August-September: Three ODIs, one T20 tour of Ireland

September: Five ODIs and three T20s tour of England

November: Three ODIs and three T20s v Pakistan

December-January: Five-Test Border-Gavaskar series v India

February: Two-Test tour of Sri Lanka

February-March: ICC Champions Trophy (50-over) tournament – Pakistan

2025-26 (7-8 tests)​

June: World Test Championship final – Lord's (if qualified)

June-July: Two Tests, three ODI and three T20 tour of the West Indies

August: Three ODIs and three T20s v South Africa (To be played in northern Australia)

October: Three T20 tour of New Zealand

October-November: Three ODIs and five T20s v India

December-January: Five-Test Ashes series v England

February: Three T20s tour of Pakistan

February-March: T20 World Cup – India and Sri Lanka

March: Three ODIs tour of Pakistan

2026-27 (14 tests)​

June: Three ODIs and three T20s tour of Bangladesh

August: One Test and three T20s v Afghanistan (northern Australia)

September-October: Three Tests and three ODIs tour of South Africa

November-December: Three ODIs and five T20s v England

December-January: Three Tests v New Zealand

January-February: Five-Test Border-Gavaskar Series tour of India

March: Two Tests v Bangladesh

If we then look at our current squad and potential retirements:

Khawaja 36 - possibly at end of this summer, almost certainly by end of next summer, after SL tour
Warner 37 - already declared, gone after the Pakistan series
Smith 34 - possibly end of next summer? More likely will target the home series v England for his finale the year after.
Marsh 32 - expect to be gone by the end of the England series two years from now.
Carey 32 - expect to be gone by the end of the England series two years from now.
Starc 33 - probably end of next summer, after home series v India
Cummins 30 - may look to see out the full schedule, and target the tour to India and Bangladesh in early 2027.
Hazelwood 32 - perhaps as early as this year, if not, likely next year
Boland 34 - prob his last summer in the test squad.

Head 29, Labuschagne 29, Morris 25, Green 24 should all still be around at the end of this four-year period.

It's notable that there is an 8-month gap in test cricket after the 2025-26 home Ashes series. For that group of players that will be well into their mid-30s by then, you'd think it will be a very tempting time to hang up the boots - especially if we have a successful series.
There's also an 8-9 month gap next year between the NZ & India series.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Also consider this....

Westy

You'd try and make a case to move Bradman from 3 to open if it meant you could fit Green in:)

Warner's made 2 Test tons in almost 4 years and since his 200 on Boxing Day last year he's gone 10,10,15,43.1.9.36.66.25,4,1,32,28.24.60 at an average of 24.3 = should be dropped the entitled douche but the selectors are gutless

Anyone not from NSW would have been thrown out before the Ashes ended
You can't just draw an arbitrary line where it suits you. Will the selectors have amnesia over that double hundred on Aussie soil against an average opponent, given Australia are about to play on home soil against an average opponent?

The beginning of the 2022 Australian Test summer (vs West Indies) is a fairer analysis start point - and I didn't watch those series closely so had no idea of his other scores (edit: looks like no other massive ones). That's 4 series with opponents of varying ability - two abroad and two at home. His average is 30.4. Still nothing amazing but at least it's an unbiased analysis. You can't remove scores to suit your narrative. I guess they are more confident of Warner matching or exceeding that average of 30 than they are for Bancroft. It's not the mind shattering decision you make it out to be.

Warner's made 2 Test tons in almost 4 years and since his 200 on Boxing Day last year he's gone 10,10,15,43.1.9.36.66.25,4,1,32,28.24.60 at an average of 24.3 = should be dropped the entitled douche but the selectors are gutless

Anyone not from NSW would have been thrown out before the Ashes ended

Its not unusual the established players get kept in the side, look at the last 40 years of Australian cricket there are countless examples.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back