4th Ashes Test England v Australia July 19-23 1930hrs @ Old Trafford

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

England from, Ben Stokes(C), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonathan Bairstow, Stuart Broad, Harry Brook, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Dan Lawrence, Ollie Robinson, Joe Root, Josh Tongue, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.
Australia from, Pat Cummins (c), Steve Smith (vc), Scott Boland, Alex Carey (wk), Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis (wk), Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Todd Murphy, Jimmy Peirson (wk), Matt Renshaw, Mitchell Starc, David Warner.

Wouldn’t a better solution be to tell Cummins to use Murphy more?

We only bowled 102.3 overs in the 3rd test compared to 157.5 and 144.2 in the 2nd and 1st. Not playing spinner would be a mistake in my view.
If he doesn't trust him better off going neser

Neser for Boland, Green for Murphy, Renshaw for Warner, and run England's bowlers into the ground. Draw this one, retain the ashes and then who cares what the whiny little gits cry about in the fifth test.

If he doesn't trust him better off going neser
Do you think the under bowling was related to the reduced overs in general though?

I think if we saw tests more like the first two he would have used him a lot more.

I still think it was a poor choice, particularly in the second innings, we needed to get Murphy into the game when we had 130 or so runs to play with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neser for Boland, Green for Murphy, Renshaw for Warner, and run England's bowlers into the ground. Draw this one, retain the ashes and then who cares what the whiny little gits cry about in the fifth test.

you gonna have to select someone else for warner - renshaw was released from the squad at the end of the 2nd test. peirson has also been released since inglis is back.

you're left with harris, inglis and hazlewood.

you gonna have to select someone else for warner - renshaw was released from the squad at the end of the 2nd test. peirson has also been released since inglis is back.

you're left with harris, inglis and hazlewood.
Any one of them would strengthen our batting.

Wouldn’t a better solution be to tell Cummins to use Murphy more?

We only bowled 102.3 overs in the 3rd test compared to 157.5 and 144.2 in the 2nd and 1st. Not playing spinner would be a mistake in my view.
I think the state of the test dictated the use of Murphy.

Cumdog was too scared to bring him in with Stokes going mental in the first dig, and then in the second we didn't have enough on the board to risk him easing his way in and coughing up too many in the process.

I think the state of the test dictated the use of Murphy.

Cumdog was too scared to bring him in with Stokes going mental in the first dig, and then in the second we didn't have enough on the board to risk him easing his way in and coughing up too many in the process.
His deliveries were just going dead straight.

Not sure why more pressure isn't coming onto Cameron Green?

Avg 19 with the bat and 40+ with the ball this tour and people want him back in the side?

Recent comments in the media sound like he isn't keen to open the batting....I'm old school, batsmen bat where their captain tells them too. No correspondence is entered into.

Batting 6 is the easiest role in the team....even better if you can sling down a few largely innocuous overs and make people think you are indispensable for selection in the name of "balance".

Never understood the hype around Cameron Green. Time for a spell and a season at shield cricket.

Avg 19 with the bat and 40+ with the ball this tour and people want him back in the side?

Recent comments in the media sound like he isn't keen to open the batting....I'm old school, batsmen bat where their captain tells them too. No correspondence is entered into.

Batting 6 is the easiest role in the team....even better if you can sling down a few largely innocuous overs and make people think you are indispensable for selection in the name of "balance".

Never understood the hype around Cameron Green. Time for a spell and a season at shield cricket.
A season is overkill. But I think now is a good time to play the in form Marsh and get Green back in for the summer. The hype is because he’s a ******* jet. Our expectations on allrounders in Australia are stupidly high. He’s just figuring his game out and is STILL averaging mid 30s with bat and ball and takes hangers for fun.

Cricket is so much about mental. Wanting to open the batting is half the battle, Hayden is our best ever and part of the reason is because he backed himself completely and went out and owned the innings. If Green isn’t ready to do that then I have no problem with him saying that the Pat and the coaches. I’d rather him do that than go out and be tentative and give his wicket away. If it means he’s not picked then so be it.

Very brave to come out and admit you have no clue, like that.

Back