Certified Legendary Thread 2nd Ashes Test England v Australia June 28-July 2 1930hrs @ Lords

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't have a problem with the fish and chips there, they were OK, it was the kebabs there that were terrible, they don't even wrap them up.

The best part about London was the amount of pubs there, where I lived in Acton you could on a lengthy pub crawl all within walking distance.

That was a factor but it's also that the Carey stumping was far more unusual than the Bairstow stumping which was a pretty run of the mill stumping.

The fact that even the old MCC members in the Long Room were getting abusive just goes to show that the Carey stumping was highly unusual.

I've never seen anything like that there before and I don't think anyone else older than me would have seen anything like that there before either.
I'd think it's more telling that the rest of the cricket playing world, indeed even your own claimed countrymen, are saying it was in keeping with the laws and spirit of the game. Citing the sheltered, partisan elite as evidence of outrage is pretty shallow.

Furthermore I'd suggest it's highly disingenuous to say Bairstows example was less in spirit considering what they are both, in effect, stumping attempts.

That was a factor but it's also that the Carey stumping was far more unusual than the Bairstow stumping which was a pretty run of the mill stumping.

The fact that even the old MCC members in the Long Room were getting abusive just goes to show that the Carey stumping was highly unusual.

I've never seen anything like that there before and I don't think anyone else older than me would have seen anything like that there before either.
No, just proves that being rich doesn't mean you can't be a boorish hypocrite as well.

I would say the Carey one was less in the spirit of cricket than the Bairstow one, there has been more outrage over the Carey one which says something
shocked star trek GIF

I would say the Carey one was less in the spirit of cricket than the Bairstow one, there has been more outrage over the Carey one which says something
Well, there's a shock.

Bairstow's wasn't a run of the mill stumping at all. You rarely see a stumping like that.

Do you even believe the s**t that you post mate?

Seeing Nasser, Tory Strauss, KP and Eoin Morgan after the game, they were pretty sensible about it all. Mainly saying the approach of aggression is good, just he a bit smarter to match situations and the fundamentals, none of them buy the winning isn’t important BS.
Be a scream if Nasser could have forced himself to say that winning isn't the most important thing. Absolute carcrash telly. He might have broken his own jaw in disgust.

I didn't have a problem with the fish and chips there, they were OK, it was the kebabs there that were terrible, they don't even wrap them up.

The best part about London was the amount of pubs there, where I lived in Acton you could on a lengthy pub crawl all within walking distance.

Do you think Bairstow’s was against the spirit of the game?

What a stupid assumption, Carey threw the ball as soon as he caught it, so there was no way a reasonable person could assume it was dead.
Bairstow assumed the ball was dead when he didn't even look at the keeper. He's as dumb as dog s**t.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bairstow's wasn't a run of the mill stumping at all. You rarely see a stumping like that.

Do you even believe the s**t that you post mate?

It was still more like a conventional stumping than the Carey stumping which wasn't like a conventional stumping at all.

It was more like a run out except that Bairstow wasn't attempting a run so I guess that ruled out that mode of dismissal.

Do you think Bairstow’s was against the spirit of the game?

Yeah probably but it wasn't as outrageous as the Carey stumping, If Carey stumped Bairstow that way I doubt the uproar would have been so big.

I do agree with it being highly unusual.

The reasons that the stumping of Bairstow is so unusual is that very rarely does a batter just walk out of their ground while the ball is still live as Bairstow did multiple times in the over (also on balls that were not the last ball of the over, so thinking the over was complete is not the reason Bairstow was doing it despite some claiming that).

Therefore very rarely does the opportunity like this arise because the batter doesn't do something that makes it possible. If batters routinely just walked out of their ground before the ball was dead, then stumpings and similar run outs like this would happen routinely. Therefore it wouldn't be a big surprise when it happened.

Wicketkeepers keeping to pace bowlers reasonably often throw the ball at the stumps.

Bowlers reasonably often throw the ball at the stumps when they collect the ball in their follow through at both the striker and non-striker's ends.

This happens commonly because batters commonly do things that mean a wicket is a possibility.

The difference is usually a batter who is batting out of their crease is more alert to the possibility of the 'keeper having a throw so rarely do they get dismissed as a result.

A batter who has hit the ball straight to the bowler is generally going to be alert to see what happens and is less likely to get dismissed as a result. Similarly a non-striker is likely to be alert to the possibility of a run out if they are out of their ground.

So the only real difference is Bairstow wasn't alert. That he wasn't alert because he'd taken upon himself to decide when the ball was dead, which is against the laws, is his own fault. That shouldn't be rewarded with a reprieve "in the spirit of the game".

What next?

A fielder was not alert and didn't see the ball or bother to back up a throw, so the batters "in the spirit of the game" decline to take any runs?

The captain isn't alert and sets an illegal field. A wicket falls such as bowled that had nothing to do with the illegal field, but the batter "in the spirit of the game" declines the no-ball call as it was due to the opposition's captain simply not paying attention that led to an illegal field placement?

A batter hits the ball, assumes it has gone away from the vicinity of the stumps but the ball has actually ballooned up in the air and hits the stumps for a bowled dismissal, but the fielding team "in the spirit of the game" refuse the wicket because it only happened because the batter wasn't alert?

In all of these the feel would be "but the player should have known better, they weren't paying attention and made a mistake, and they are paying for their mistake". But this mistake is being treated differently because... it's a rarer mistake to make? Doesn't that make it even worse that Bairstow is so unusual that he would make that mistake given hardly anyone else makes that mistake? And Bairstow was making the same mistake multiple times in an over, which is why Carey threw the ball.

Scotland and Ireland are worth visiting. London sucks. Some of the English countryside is OK. But the weather does indeed suck and you won't be able to find a decent beer on tap.

I remember hearing a conversation between two Poms who were doing a stint in my office in Perth. They were complaining about how the fish and chips here were "not soggy enough" (I s**t you not), it was too hot and sunny, and the beaches had too many waves. Encapsulates the ****ed mindset of the country.
2 quid pints at a wetherspoons is enough to get over any regards about decency of beer, Strongbow dark cider there is also bloody elite.

Nonsense, it shows they are entitled, aggressive grubs who abused, and now lost, the unique privilege afforded to members at Lords

I’ve seen wicketkeepers try to throw down the stumps off a pace bowler to ‘stump’ a batsman a million times…the only thing that was unusual was how brazenly Bairstow ignored the normal protocol of making eye contact with the keeper before leaving the crease prior to over being called

Last edited:
That is true, But 12 spoons of christmas was a good pub crawl.

Although this little Japanese pub I went to was quite nice and had a damn good selection of whisky and gin.
If you get to Windsor I recommend The Two Brewers round the corner from the entrance to the Great Park.

I predicted Australia 3-1 before a ball was bowled a few weeks back with inclement weather contributing to one draw and I still reckon the hosts will snag a test....

Ideally it would be the 5th test and we’re already 3-4 wins up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I predicted Australia 3-1 before a ball was bowled a few weeks back with inclement weather contributing to one draw and I still reckon the hosts will snag a test....

Ideally it would be the 5th test and we’re already 3-4 wins up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back