1st Ashes Test England v Australia June 16-20 1930hrs @ Edgbaston

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It feels a bit like the first test of the 2005 series

We won but didn't realise that we were a rolled ankle away from being overtaken by them

I think all things being equal, we can emerge narrow winners in this series. But for a bit of bad luck or a poor session where they get a toehold - one sniff and they'll be hard to keep down with the home crowd behind them. Bit of a downhill skiing element to some of their players.

Give them an inch, they'll take a mile.

I dont think first test win makes as favs for series but way england have carried on is honestly the craziest s**t i have ever heard from a test team, if anything they are the 2005 aussies in this spot as in they arent thinking about that simple goal just win the ashes at any cost (like england 2005 were) they are thinking about legacy brand and image think it was adam gilchrist that mentioned the aussies in 2005 were talking about things like being chicago bulls as in creating a dynasty while england were just focused on the next session of the test and it cost us.

Baz has already said Moeen will play if fit.
Yeah, I saw that, but will he be? Fitness is also a relative thing - he doesn’t necessarily have to injured to be unfit, he may just pull up ‘sore’.

I think they will probably still go with him, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they went with Wood also.

I dont think first test win makes as favs for series but way england have carried on is honestly the craziest s**t i have ever heard from a test team, if anything they are the 2005 aussies in this spot as in they arent thinking about that simple goal just win the ashes at any cost (like england 2005 were) they are thinking about legacy brand and image think it was adam gilchrist that mentioned the aussies in 2005 were talking about things like being chicago bulls as in creating a dynasty while england were just focused on the next session of the test and it cost us.
I wouldn’t say they’re the 2005 aussies by a stretch, that was a highly talented team who got caught just expecting to win.

I think we are rightfully favourites after winning the first test, but am in no doubt that it won’t be a cakewalk, all results are still available.

Let’s not forget England almost and should have won this game.

• There keeper missed 4 chances
  • Day 1 declaration was just stupid
  • Stokes lazy effort dropping Lyon with still about 50 to win
That's because Bairstow is a rubbish keeper. If they brought someone more competent into the game then they mightn't have dropped them. That's their decision.

On the otherhand, Bairstow was very effective with the bat, so if they had a different keeper the landscape of the game would have been wildly different. He had the 4th best average of both teams and scored 14.7% of the English score.

I wouldn’t say they’re the 2005 aussies by a stretch, that was a highly talented team who got caught just expecting to win.

I think we are rightfully favourites after winning the first test, but am in no doubt that it won’t be a cakewalk, all results are still available.

I meant more the mindset not the talent, england 2005 and aussies 2023 have/had one simple goal win one more ashes tests than other side, aussies 2005 and england 2023 were/are chasing something harder to quantify they are thinking about big picture issues not necessarily next session next day next test.

1) Bairstow was a bazball selection.
2) declaration was a bazball move.
3) Was a tough chance, we dropped catches too.

I do agree it was a close game that could have gone either way. This series is wide open.

Lucky for them, they don't live in Adelaide - they'd have to chew their own bath water as well :).
It's all that added fluoride making your teeth healthier ;)

I thik this is way over stated things. One day pitch, One day batting and people are shocked and comdem the apperance of one day fields.

Moreover, the England team and their media cheerleaders promoting this ODI style batting in tests will only reinforce Australia's approach/style for what has served them well as the current 'World Test Champions'...
Accordingly Australia's simple objective at Lords will be to win the toss and bat cautiously with purpose for 150 overs and/or 450+ runs...

1) Bairstow was a bazball selection.
2) declaration was a bazball move.
3) Was a tough chance, we dropped catches too.

I do agree it was a close game that could have gone either way. This series is wide open.
It's wide open if England win 2nd Test, if Australia manage to go 2-0 up its game over and the media will turn on Bazball.

On to the actual cricket, it will be very interesting to see the Lords pitch. It’s unlikely to be as flat as Edgbaston, and the slope will bring some of the seamers into the game a touch more. I find it unlikely given Englands team tactics that we’ll see a traditional green tinge however.

Do England stick with Moeen? Do they give the young leggie a shot (dangerous in such a high pressure game), or do they go with 4 quicks?

I would be inclined to pick an extra quick in Mark Wood and drop Moeen fi I was them, they still have Root who can bowl decent spin if they need it.

I would be inclined to pick an extra quick in Mark Wood and drop Moeen fi I was them, they still have Root who can bowl decent spin if they need it.
It’ll be interesting. Would certainly be taking a very attacking mindset into the game. Root would potentially need to bowl a lot of overs.

Yeah, I saw that, but will he be? Fitness is also a relative thing - he doesn’t necessarily have to injured to be unfit, he may just pull up ‘sore’.

I think they will probably still go with him, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they went with Wood also.
I think Wood plays regardless TBH.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The way Cummins and Lyon were stroking it around they could have scored another 50

Quite possibly, who do you think will make way? Anderson?
I predict Wood will replace grandpa Anderson (despite his record at Lords) and I wouldn't discount Ali being replaced by Foakes to WK with Bairstow playing purely as a batsman, with Root becoming Englands designated spinner - although Stokes fitness to support this bowling line-up may rule these hypothetical changes out....:think:

Last edited:

'Almost' and 'should have' have no meaning or relevance. We won; they lost.

I am on record as a Pom-hater through and through, although I love what Joe Root did in that Test
--- I've never seen him so happy! But we had Khawaja, thankfully.
There were roughly an equal number of missed chances; Bairtsow's served only to neutralise his own runs.
The Day One declaration was odd, and seemed to open the door for us. Even Stokes commented they could have batted on and lost their last 2 wickets in 2 balls, so it's moot. Another "could have".

I hate Stokes as well --- 'loathe' is probably a better word :sneaky: --- but his effort in that Lyon-catch attempt cannot be called lazy, by any means.
It was desperate and athletic and could have resulted in injury, but I am super-happy it went down.

I predict Wood will replace grandpa Anderson (despite his record at Lords) and I wouldn't discount Ali being replaced by Foakes to WK with Bairstow playing purely as a batsman, with Root becoming Englands designated spinner....:think:
Feel like that may leave them a bowler short.

I find it unlikely given Englands team tactics that we’ll see a traditional green tinge however.
I'd like to see that typical green tinge, but predicted a few posts ago that it's more likely to be white/tan with a tuft of straw on it. What Stokes has asked for, he'll get (Anderson will be furious).
Do England stick with Moeen? Do they give the young leggie a shot (dangerous in such a high pressure game), or do they go with 4 quicks?
Good questions :thumbsu:. In order:
--- probably not, because
--- they've added the leggie to their squad.
--- I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson out, for Wood.

Feel like that may leave them a bowler short.
Perhaps, but Wood replacing Ali makes them a bowling heavy team with 3 genuine No.11's - or does is really matter with this Bazball style...?

Imagine England are suddenly 6-150 with only Robinson and the other bowlers to come...

Last edited:
I'd like to see that typical green tinge, but predicted a few posts ago that it's more likely to be white/tan with a tuft of straw on it. What Stokes has asked for, he'll get (Anderson will be furious).

Good questions :thumbsu:. In order:
--- probably not, because
--- they've added the leggie to their squad.
--- I wouldn't be surprised to see Anderson out, for Wood.
I expect you’re right regarding the pitch.

On bringing in the young leggie, it’s a risky option as he’ll need to bowl a significant amount of overs. Young leggies can take a while to find their feet at international level (I know he played well on debut), and throwing him in 1 down in a high pressure series could be a real baptism by fire.

I predict Wood will replace grandpa Anderson (despite his record at Lords) and I wouldn't discount Ali being replaced by Foakes to WK with Bairstow playing purely as a batsman, with Root becoming Englands designated spinner - although Stokes fitness to support this bowling line-up may rule these hypothetical changes out....:think:

I think they will drop anderson and ali for wood and woakes, they probably feel lords is place you can get away without spinner, they seem to love their batsmen who cant keep over foakes so bairstow is still few really bad games away from losing gloves.

Back