1st Ashes Test England v Australia June 16-20 1930hrs @ Edgbaston

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they will drop anderson and ali for wood and woakes, they probably feel lords is place you can get away without spinner, they seem to love their batsmen who cant keep over foakes so bairstow is still few really bad games away from losing gloves.
Concur, the run-a-ball knocks from Bairstow seems at the moment to be more important than his average work behind the stumps - but let's see what happen's if/after he drop's Smith or Labuschagne early who then go onto ton up...?

Woods extra pace will be a welcome site for the Aussie batters IMO, we struggle to keep the scoring rate up against the 125km pie chuckers, a bit of extra pace on the ball would be a positive for mine.
I thought that Wood was a certainty for Lords until I read cricket analyst Jarrod Kimber's take of what happened on Day 3 only yesterday ( well I watched his video which he uses the script of the video as an article). If Kimber's analysis is right, they probably wont play Wood unless there is an injury.

You might be justified in wondering why I have spent all this time speaking about the great Ken Higgs. It's not just the berserk backside or even the weird curved run-up on the way in. It's what Ken Higgs represents, England's medium-fast seam bowling in perfection. And yet in 1968, this beast of a seam bowler would play his final Test. [ he retired from first class cricket in 1986]

Why? Because at any one time, England has a bucketload of Ken Higgs around. You are what your conditions dictate in Tests, and English cricket produces line and length wobblers more than anyone else ever has.

You see them playing club cricket, on village greens or right throughout the lower levels of English pro cricket. Jogging in, placing it on a line, nipping it both ways. Batting in English cricket is overcoming their nagging metronomic boring existence. There is no doubt that England is the home of the medium-fast seamers.

That is what we have in this Test. England may have chosen Mark Wood for this match if they knew just how dire the surface would be. Getting his pace on this wicket would have been interesting, especially with his lower trajectory.

But Wood has struggled on good batting decks in Edgbaston before, and also, he's not been good in England. Chances are that England thought this was their best bowling attack, and with Jofra Archer's injuries, it would be hard to argue it isn't.

If you're playing along at home, that's six English bowlers with 200 wickets being considered fast. And this is over the history of the game. Where they had to find blokes in mines, or occasionally phone someone up north and ask them if they owned bowling boots. Now England has this incredible system of professionalism. Keeping guys out of the County system that turns so many quicks into donkeys. The best sports science for cricket, dieticians, biomechanists, physios, body imaging software and everything else they need.

All that money, planning and effort. From that, they have Josh Tongue, Saqib Mahmood, Olly Stone, Jofra Archer and Mark Wood. Not one is fit or talented enough to push their normal bowlers out of the team.

So they end up in a Test match where they need to make something happen on a flat surface - they ordered. So Stuart Broad and Ollie Robinson have to bowl intimidatory bowling on a pancake wicket.

Part of this is because - if my Ben Stokes bowling doomsday clock is right - we don't have many deliveries left. And he bowled at 80MPHish in the first innings. If he does have 800 balls left to go, that's probably 500 if he bowls a couple of fast short bowling spells.

No one thinks of fast bowling and Ollie Robinson at the same time. Even Stuart Broad - who had periods of speed earlier in his career - is not really an ideal option for the short bowling tactic. As Jasprit Bumrah might once have shown.

It gets worse for them, as under the Bazball reign, the short bowling option seems to be their plan B, or C, or sometimes almost D-Z. It's like coach Brendon McCullum was fully converted all those years watching Neil Wagner do this for New Zealand. Not to mention that when fit, Stokes will deliver as many bouncers as he can until he's running in on bloody stumps.

But the real question is can England do this on all the flat pitches they ordered this summer? Ollie Robinson was treated today like he bowls 14MPH quicker. Stuart Broad is also in enforcer mode in what should be the armchair part of his career. Ben Stokes can only sit and watch men two men yards slower than him for so long before he'll give it a go. And even the thought of using Jimmy this way should wake up English fans at 2 AM drowning in their own anxiety juice.

England have decided that skill is their most important weapon. They are picking their best bowlers. And today they found a way to make that work. To win this series, they will need to work out how to do that at least another five times. Probably more.

The main part of Bazball's success was not attacking, it was making the most of what they have got. You could argue in the days of Ken Higgs England would discard that kind of bowler looking for a more complete version. Now they try and get the most out of it. Today England kept Australia's total in check with Jimmy Anderson being himself, Ben Stokes being a facsimile, and two taller bowlers bouncing the crap out of Australia at 78PMH.

It's not what Higgs would have done, but it worked.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F40c5d225-fe93-47e6-bfc4-461d088538ce_1920x1080.jpeg

I think they will drop anderson and ali for wood and woakes, they probably feel lords is place you can get away without spinner, they seem to love their batsmen who cant keep over foakes so bairstow is still few really bad games away from losing gloves.
This is what I suspect they will do too. They will need to roll us quickly with that lineup.

doing the ifs buts and maybe for any sport is silly but test cricket especially.

We lost the toss, away from home, got nothing from our 2 best batsman, Boland had his worst game of his career so far, head threw his wicket away. And we still won.

So you can argue we only just won, but you can just as easily argue we could have won by more. That’s just how it goes.

No one should begrudge England for thinking they can match it with us, it’s the over the top pats on the back they are giving themselves that is embarrassing.

It feels a bit like the first test of the 2005 series

We won but didn't realise that we were a rolled ankle away from being overtaken by them

I think all things being equal, we can emerge narrow winners in this series. But for a bit of bad luck or a poor session where they get a toehold - one sniff and they'll be hard to keep down with the home crowd behind them. Bit of a downhill skiing element to some of their players.

Give them an inch, they'll take a mile.
If what they have been rolling out post test is the actual attitude and midset this series will be over within 4 days .
Aussies will win Lords and be 2-0 up and the English will implode .

Ill give Mccallum more credit than that and think he will straighten them up a bit .

Its been the most bizarre and attitude to a loss I've seen and the fact they are making it public is real denial type stuff

I expect you’re right regarding the pitch.

On bringing in the young leggie, it’s a risky option as he’ll need to bowl a significant amount of overs. Young leggies can take a while to find their feet at international level (I know he played well on debut), and throwing him in 1 down in a high pressure series could be a real baptism by fire.
English grounds are small - finger spinners are preferred for accuracy - Warne is in reality the exception it’s a long time since the Pom’s had a leg spinner of any test quality but Bazball explains the possible selection of the young leggy - but s**t it’s risky

On bringing in the young leggie, it’s a risky option as he’ll need to bowl a significant amount of overs. Young leggies can take a while to find their feet at international level (I know he played well on debut), and throwing him in 1 down in a high pressure series could be a real baptism by fire.
Young bowler, risky option, great, although ... :think::think: ... I did enjoy Moeen's juicy full tosses.

Here's some more of Crawley's Bazballian bullshit, translated:
"“I think the pitch will suit us a bit more so I think we’ll win by, I don’t know, 150 runs?"
==> WE want to win. It's important. We will win by 150 runs, give or take.

We’re not about results. We’re not about winning or losing, we’re about entertainment. That’s why we took [this loss] better than other losses perhaps, because it was great for the game"
==> Winning is not important to us, as long as we put on a good show. The loss was not important because it attracted so much attention. To how great, yet carefree, we are.

Of course we’re there to win and it helps our brand and what we’re trying to do."
==> Of course, winning is important. Our brand is about winning. Winning is what we try to do.

"If we win, we get more traction. But I don’t think we’ve lost anything other than a game of cricket.
==> If we win, which is important and doesn't really matter ... <<fizz, sputter, melt>>
sorry, but the bullshit translator melted down after the last bit :drunk::drunk:, like HAL in "2001: A Space Odyssey" which had a kind of mental breakdown when confronted by what it perceived to be human contradictions which threatened the mission.

Next presser, Crawley will be chanting: "Four legs good, two legs better" o_O

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dropping Foakes was absolute insanity by England.

The funniest thing is that he's a better batsman than the players they're picking as batsmen. He averages 40 in first class cricket not 15! He averages almost 40 in test cricket since Stokes became captain.

He averages 9 more than Crawley in FC cricket, 4 more than Stokes and more than Brook when he was selected to debut.

But they're leaving out their best keeper because he isn't a good enough bat.

The funniest thing is that he's a better batsman than the players they're picking as batsmen. He averages 40 in first class cricket not 15! He averages almost 40 in test cricket since Stokes became captain.

He averages 9 more than Crawley in FC cricket, 4 more than Stokes and more than Brook when he was selected to debut.

But does he Bazball??

He didn't always help himself.
Well, largely to do with a massive umpires error in Brisbane. It made the news main section with how bad it was and he was dropped for the series.

Are we doing haikus? You've got the tempo wrong.

Bazball the future
Winning is not important
Ollie's still a flog
There was a young man
From france who got limericks
and Haikus confused.

Probably a strike rate with the bat of 50 in TC isn't entertaining enough for them. He has a good range of shots, without trying to hit every second ball for 4. Quite a decent bat for a keeper.

Murali's record is often criticized for being gained on spin friendly Sri Lankan wickets. Given Anderson wants to quit after a non seam friendly first test, maybe the years of him being the beneficiary of being served up seam friendly wickets should be questioned too?

True, but at least Anderson bowls the balls that get him wickets.

LoL WTF why is he a racist?

Because he sledged the dark skinned guy in our team? Stupid talk
WTF? Have you been under a f**king rock?

He was banned for racism. He is as racist as they come. Follow him on twitter for some fun racist racism.

Back