5th Ashes Test England v Australia July 27-31 1930hrs @ The Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Even with an investigation there can't be any meaningful outcome can there? Apparently its up to the stadium/ team hosting the match to provide the balls so if anything Surrey might cop a fine and perhaps the umpires get some kind of sanction?

If it was found to be a ball from the previous years batches then surely they have no alternative but to declare the match as void as it really does change the match completely?

Lol, will they be investigating every single ball change from the series? Australia also benefited at some stages from a better ball…

Lol, will they be investigating every single ball change from the series? Australia also benefited at some stages from a better ball…
There’s clearly a difference between this ball and any other. Every single person commenting and playing the actual game said as much and data backed it up saying it moved more than any other ball the entire series which hadn’t been occurring.

There’s clearly a difference between this ball and any other. Every single person commenting and playing the actual game said as much and data backed it up saying it moved more than any other ball the entire series which hadn’t been occurring.

Day 4 suns out, day 5 when they resume it’s overcast and it starts swinging, amazing coincidence.

We’ve heard Ussie whinge because he makes a habit of complaining all series long.

With the way the Aussie fans are complaining you’d think Australia was bundled out by this unplayable ball, not that Smith and Head belted it around for 30 overs with no trouble…

Plus the ball wasn’t even to blame for Khawaja missing a straight one yet again…

I see the English netball team haven't learnt anything from their cricket counterparts. Talking smack before the World Cup Final....you know in the spirit of netball and all. I'm surprised they didn't ask the ball to be changed at 3 quarter time.

Day 4 suns out, day 5 when they resume it’s overcast and it starts swinging, amazing coincidence.

We’ve heard Ussie whinge because he makes a habit of complaining all series long.

With the way the Aussie fans are complaining you’d think Australia was bundled out by this unplayable ball, not that Smith and Head belted it around for 30 overs with no trouble…

Plus the ball wasn’t even to blame for Khawaja missing a straight one yet again…
It was swinging on day 4, immediately after it was handed over. Got an excuse for that one?

It was swinging on day 4, immediately after it was handed over. Got an excuse for that one?

Yep was noticeable right away ponting even mentioned it day 4 in comm box thats how obvious it was, there is no debate about whether that ball was a huge advantage for england even english players themselves admitted it only ones saying otherwise at this point are concern trolls.

No, they have one box which the on field neutral umpires make the choice from .
Why would they only have a box of newer balls and no old balls? That's either BS or amateur hour. Because I've never seen a game where they haven't had older replacement balls available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the last we will hear of this, likely it will be ignored like the 2005 Pommy cheats with their ball tampering mints.

Ignored?
You mean like how they amended the rules afterwards?

I cannot fathom how people are still bitching about this.

I suppose you were applying for a job during that series making sure the Aussies’ Gatorade was sugar free so it couldn’t impact their saliva?

It has been a bad year for England against Australia. They could not win The Ashes and now we have beaten them in the netball World Cup. What else could go wrong for the Poms? I sense a Women's FIFA World Cup semi-final coming up next week.

Ignored?
You mean like how they amended the rules afterwards?

I cannot fathom how people are still bitching about this.

I suppose you were applying for a job during that series making sure the Aussies’ Gatorade was sugar free so it couldn’t impact their saliva?
Probably just easier to apply common sense.

Nobody was applying for that imaginary job for that imaginary problem. If Gatorade was effective, Trescothick wouldn't hamper himself in the field by impersonating a ******* piñata, would he.

As I dived to gather the ball at square leg, I landed on my side and a shower of Murray Mints spewed out of my trouser pocket all over the grass right in front of the umpire. Fortunately, neither he nor the two batsmen seemed to take much notice as I scrambled around on all fours trying desperately to gather in the sweets before they started asking awkward questions.

Probably just easier to apply common sense.

Nobody was applying for that imaginary job for that imaginary problem. If Gatorade was effective, Trescothick wouldn't hamper himself in the field by impersonating a ******* piñata, would he.

I’m familiar with Tresco’s book.

Teams have always had players assigned to work on the ball. Warne was known for it. Players have always chewed gum as a means of making sure they have spit. Who the hell cares.

Teams have always had players assigned to work on the ball. Warne was known for it. Players have always chewed gum as a means of making sure they have spit. Who the hell cares.
Yeah the "everybody does it, just move on" shtick would sound more sincere from somebody not holding a 30-year grudge against the mean old Aussie sledgers.

Yeah the "everybody does it, just move on" shtick would sound more sincere from somebody not holding a 30-year grudge against the mean old Aussie sledgers.

Lol ‘grudge’ 😂😂😂
They’re a cricket team.

No, it’s not an ‘everybody does it’ grudge. It’s a balanced view of the idea that if people have/had no problem with one aspect of accepted ball maintenance, pointing to a series loss 18 years after the event and still blaming it on a very similar aspect of ball maintenance sounds ******* absurd.

Eng bowlers looked cooked on day 4 with the original ball....obviously the Gatorade Full English they had on the morning of day 5 did the trick.

Yes. Khawaja even approached the umpires about it on day 4 to say it was substantially different.
Indeed he did because it was a much harder ball and swinging and seaming from the get go. The umpires completely stuffed this up and should have realised their mistake and changed the ball before play on the 5th morning.

Back