3rd Ashes Test England v Australia July 6-10 1930hrs @ Headingley

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If it was 2-2 in the last test and we were in trouble I'd get it but some people were doing rain dances here going into the 2nd day of the last test ffs

As I stated above it's going to have to be a ton of rain to get a draw, and looking that far ahead with weather forecasts is weird unless you're interested in how it affects the preparation of the pitch.

As for England's momentum, it was just one win, which they were well behind multiple times in the match. We just need one more great team performance and we have done it, and yes reclaiming the Ashes would be great, I want a series win this time.
With the rain, for a draw it’s also going to need to bucket down during the backend of the match. England will just adjust their tactics with any rain early in the game.

And whilst I don’t think there has been much of a momentum swing towards England, even if there has been, Australia could easily wrestle back momentum in a day, or even a couple of sessions.

We want to reclaim the Ashes

A washout is the easiest way to achieve this

I fear England's momentum

We need to win this series. For the past 22 years the Ashes has been pretty much the home team wins (although over that period we have been far better in England than they have in Australia).

This group managed to buck that trend and retain the Ashes in 2019, they’re next hurdle is to win a series.

This is probably the last series that Warner, Khawaja, Smith, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon play in England. That’s a group that is very hard to replace and I don’t see us going over in 2027 with a squad that is anywhere near as strong as this one.

To not win from a 2-1 lead would be a huge disappointment.

In my view the team will be:

Khawaja
Warner/Harris/Renshaw (most likely Warner)
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh/Green (most likely Marsh)
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Murphy
Hazlewood

Which is still a better 11 than what England will have. Win the toss and a bit of luck with the conditions and that team will get it done.

That's a really good and well-balanced post.

It's very easy to have a knee-jerk reaction after a bad result and catastrophise everything. The fact is, we'd won three in a row on this tour which included a strong Indian team and England on their own patch twice. Not since 2001 have we beaten England in consecutive games in England. We certainly should not be panicking and have not become a bad team overnight. In spite of a poor performance overall, which included losing the toss and batting in dreadful conditions on day 3, we were still very close to winning. Man for man, this Australia team is better than England. On English shores, they are closely matched, but in any other country (not least Australia), we are significantly better.

All that said, we can't be blind to the obvious - David Warner's plight against Stuart Broad is becoming a roadshow. It's a circus act. There's nothing in Warner's away stats which would indicate that he will come good either. He's hit 70 once on the road since 2017. That is truly lamentable and he's 37 in three months. In short, he's cooked. I propose Green doing a Watson and getting in at the top of the order. How much worse can he do? I feel he might like the harder ball and could pace his innings better at 1 than at 6. It gives us a right-hander at the top and doesn't mean we have to drop Marsh.

On a separate note, I live 30kms from Old Trafford and it's currently pissing down with rain!
In New Zealand I would pick England to win; why doesn’t Australia go to NZ; it might do now that there best fast bowlers have taken other options?

We need to win this series. For the past 22 years the Ashes has been pretty much the home team wins (although over that period we have been far better in England than they have in Australia).

This group managed to buck that trend and retain the Ashes in 2019, they’re next hurdle is to win a series.

This is probably the last series that Warner, Khawaja, Smith, Starc, Hazlewood and Lyon play in England. That’s a group that is very hard to replace and I don’t see us going over in 2027 with a squad that is anywhere near as strong as this one.

To not win from a 2-1 lead would be a huge disappointment.

In my view the team will be:

Khawaja
Warner/Harris/Renshaw (most likely Warner)
Labuschagne
Smith
Head
Marsh/Green (most likely Marsh)
Carey
Starc
Cummins
Murphy
Hazlewood

Which is still a better 11 than what England will have. Win the toss and a bit of luck with the conditions and that team will get it done.
2010/11 slipped your memory ?

The pitches have been pretty flat, if you had two sides playing traditional cricket no doubt we would have seen a draw or two by now so I reckon a bowling average of around 30 for the series is pretty decent
Take out rain - I don’t think modern day sides have the capacity to bat out draws for two days like they used to - increase the risk for runs you increase the wickets - technically there are few players set up to bat time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In
That's a really good and well-balanced post.

It's very easy to have a knee-jerk reaction after a bad result and catastrophise everything. The fact is, we'd won three in a row on this tour which included a strong Indian team and England on their own patch twice. Not since 2001 have we beaten England in consecutive games in England. We certainly should not be panicking and have not become a bad team overnight. In spite of a poor performance overall, which included losing the toss and batting in dreadful conditions on day 3, we were still very close to winning. Man for man, this Australia team is better than England. On English shores, they are closely matched, but in any other country (not least Australia), we are significantly better.

All that said, we can't be blind to the obvious - David Warner's plight against Stuart Broad is becoming a roadshow. It's a circus act. There's nothing in Warner's away stats which would indicate that he will come good either. He's hit 70 once on the road since 2017. That is truly lamentable and he's 37 in three months. In short, he's cooked. I propose Green doing a Watson and getting in at the top of the order. How much worse can he do? I feel he might like the harder ball and could pace his innings better at 1 than at 6. It gives us a right-hander at the top and doesn't mean we have to drop Marsh.

On a separate note, I live 30kms from Old Trafford and it's currently pissing down with rain!
Incidentley, do you live there voluntarily?

Back