5th Ashes Test England v Australia July 27-31 1930hrs @ The Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

England from, Ben Stokes(C), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonathan Bairstow, Stuart Broad, Harry Brook, Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Dan Lawrence, Ollie Robinson, Joe Root, Josh Tongue, Chris Woakes, Mark Wood.
Australia from, Pat Cummins (c), Steve Smith (vc), Scott Boland, Alex Carey (wk), Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis (wk), Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitchell Marsh, Todd Murphy, Jimmy Peirson (wk), Matt Renshaw, Mitchell Starc, David Warner.

Let's freshen up the bowling attack (Neser, Murphy, Abbott?), attack in the field and apply ourselves with the bat.

I think our bowlers are tired after a big effort in such a short time on flat decks. Their batters have had a good look at them too. Shake things up a bit and enjoy the last game with the knowledge we've got the urn.

Warner stays in, one last crack in England he has got some starts at least this series.
and this is thing we are now encouraging mediocrity ....he has got some starts...yeah whatever he has been crap for ages and still gets gifted games

does not sit well with me that we are considering dropping green who has had an average series for Warner who has been crap for ages

I worry about the bowling workloads if green goes out ..who bowled well last test and his economy rate was good... I worry about Cummins starc and marsh fitness. I agree Murphy comes in but for me I would have him in for Warner as the only change.....and if starc does not get up neser comes in

I would open with greenie and usman......we need something differant

Seriously believe if Warner plays again it will go a long way for us to lose the game... I just can't see Warner scoring a significant score anymore ....20/30 yeah whatever anyone can do that

The Oval Pitch Report​

The pitch at Kennington Oval assists the batters more than the bowlers. The bowlers, especially spinners, come into the match on Days 4 and 5. Due to the lack of grass, the pacers struggle here, but the new ball assists them until it loses its shine. Due to the ever-changing English weather, pacers can be quite a handful with cloud cover or in windy conditions.

The average first-inning score here is 343, proving that it is indeed better than most English grounds for batting. However, that number changes quickly when we look at the average 4th inning score, which is 156.

As the pitch becomes dry, spinners come into the game, and owing to this fact, the majority of teams elect to bat first to ensure that their opponent bats in the trickiest of situations on Days 4 and 5.

Matches: 106
Match Drawn: 38
Matches Won Batting 1st: 39
Matches Won Batting 2nd: 29
Highest Team Total: 903/7 Declared by England vs Australia in 1938
Lowest Team Total: 44/10 by Australia vs England in 1896

and this is thing we are now encouraging mediocrity ....he has got some starts...yeah whatever he has been crap for ages and still gets gifted games

does not sit well with me that we are considering dropping green who has had an average series for Warner who has been crap for ages

I worry about the bowling workloads if green goes out ..who bowled well last test and his economy rate was good... I worry about Cummins starc and marsh fitness. I agree Murphy comes in but for me I would have him in for Warner as the only change.....and if starc does not get up neser comes in

Seriously believe if Warner plays again it will go a long way for us to lose the game... I just can't see Warner scoring a significant score anymore ....20/30 yeah whatever anyone can do that
Green hasn't really performed at 6/7 so not sure why the thinking would be that he could do better opening against a fresh cherry that swings and seems.

And if the selectors were confident that either Harris or Renshaw could get more than 20 or 30 then they would have picked them by now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Green hasn't really performed at 6/7 so not sure why the thinking would be that he could do better opening against a fresh cherry that swings and seems.

And if the selectors were confident that either Harris or Renshaw could get more than 20 or 30 then they would have picked them by now.
Yeah has had an average series I agree with the bat and has played one less test

Issue for me is the bowling attack

Starc shoulder is sore
Cummins looks cooked and if won the last test he would have been rested this game. But as we are treating this as not a dead rubber and he is the captain he will play
Hazelwood we know his injury past
Marsh struggles to bowl more than 5 overs a game without getting sore
Murph is new but I agree a spinner must play

If we go in with just that attack I reckon we will get smashed atm...they are not all 100% fit. Green provides cover with the ball and he bowled well last test

And you are right green hasn't gone well at 6/7 if the fresh cherry swings Warner will nick off again so what are you losing putting a green who can bowl at the top ??? if green makes 20 well thats a bonus compared to Warner making 20 ..thats my point we are getting nothing form Warner. It's all about well he is making starts blah blah....its crap we are accepting mediocrity and its costing us

Really think we need to do something dynamic this test...if we go in with the same line up reckon we will lose

Think of this the poms scored nearly 600 with every bowler getting the tonk....except green economy of 4 and he took 2 poles...and we want to drop him ??? for an opener who cannot produce a significant score for years????......madness for me

Let's freshen up the bowling attack (Neser, Murphy, Abbott?), attack in the field and apply ourselves with the bat.

I think our bowlers are tired after a big effort in such a short time on flat decks. Their batters have had a good look at them too. Shake things up a bit and enjoy the last game with the knowledge we've got the urn.
Gotta be honest i never hope to see Abbott in the test team, good shield level player. Don't rate him at test level.

G

The Oval Pitch Report​

The pitch at Kennington Oval assists the batters more than the bowlers. The bowlers, especially spinners, come into the match on Days 4 and 5. Due to the lack of grass, the pacers struggle here, but the new ball assists them until it loses its shine. Due to the ever-changing English weather, pacers can be quite a handful with cloud cover or in windy conditions.

The average first-inning score here is 343, proving that it is indeed better than most English grounds for batting. However, that number changes quickly when we look at the average 4th inning score, which is 156.

As the pitch becomes dry, spinners come into the game, and owing to this fact, the majority of teams elect to bat first to ensure that their opponent bats in the trickiest of situations on Days 4 and 5.

Hope we win the toss for once

Our bowlers might be a bit tired but they only bowled 1 day in the last test… 2 days washed out, 2 days when we were batting. I think the problem for Cummins is that he is mentally tired. We need him as our #1 strike bowler and also captain, it’s asking too much

We're in England though. Best we have over there currently. Starts are better than what we would get otherwise. Wouldn't be backing Harris to do that.

You either encourage mediocrity or more mediocrity.

We drew 2-2 4 years ago when Warner couldn't make a run full stop. They only drew because of a bad non-LBW at Headingley and a Tim Paine brain fade sending England in at The Oval.

The Oval Pitch Report​

oh I was wondering where Monky got to

Back