Who will win?

• England

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Each to their own might as well just give player of the matches to batsmen then. I’ll still defer to in a single innings you get a ton that’s as good as a 5 for, you get 10 that’s as good as a double. Glad they reward bowlers batsmen get enough of them heck they get player of the matches for getting 70 off sometimes. She not only got the 12, she made 40 runs too. It’s not even close clearly the best player of the match, Sophie Ecclestone would have been my second pick anyway. Got 5 when we had the best batting conditions too. Either her or Gardner for mine but Aus won so it’s Gardner. That pitch was fairly placid for 3 days, as good as the bats quite a few were getting runs on the first few days
Why would give the player of the match to the batsman? 250 > 208. Gardiner deserved the PotM massively.

Ridiculous they can't have at least a three Test series. There's no real excuse, the quality is good, the crowds are good, I can't think of a single reason not to do this.

Because England doesn't want to lose 3 tests matches to the Aussie women?

Because England doesn't want to lose 3 tests matches to the Aussie women?
England weren't a million miles from us in this Test and with the way it's weighted they're now a long way behind us in the series, it just doesn't seem very fair that they won't get another chance to have a go at us in the longer format.

England weren't a million miles from us in this Test and with the way it's weighted they're now a long way behind us in the series, it just doesn't seem very fair that they won't get another chance to have a go at us in the longer format.

I agree with that

I don't think the women play enough red ball cricket, and would be good to see then given more of an opportunity than these one of tests

I agree with that

I don't think the women play enough red ball cricket, and would be good to see then given more of an opportunity than these one of tests
The boards all have to build a good quality red ball comp for the women otherwise they're just giving lip service to equality.

Ridiculous they can't have at least a three Test series. There's no real excuse, the quality is good, the crowds are good, I can't think of a single reason not to do this.

Think 2 is a happy medium for this type of series but would require a points reconfiguration do like the multi Ashes concept

Think 2 is a happy medium for this type of series but would require a points reconfiguration do like the multi Ashes concept
A series between the two best teams in the world only worth two Tests? We're giving the West Indies three out here this summer.

Why would give the player of the match to the batsman? 250 > 208. Gardiner deserved the PotM massively.

Fair enough misread it originally my mistake read it again after coffee today.

A series between the two best teams in the world only worth two Tests? We're giving the West Indies three out here this summer.

In women’s cricket I don’t feel more than 2 tests is needed. The time is an issue too, having it streamlined with the men has been such a positive wouldn’t want to go away from that. In 3-5 years I’m sure 3 test series’s will happen though. Australia do go to India very soon after the Ashes. There’s a test over there

27gardner-match-stat.ashx

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A three-test series between the Aussie and Pommie women would be far more exciting than the series we have to endure this summer.

Pretty crazy that one side had both a double centurion AND a bowler with 10 for the match, yet neither were POTM and they lost the game!

Wonder if that's ever happened in the men's game before.
Closest I can think of is the famous Adelaide Ashes test. Collingwood made 206 and Hoggard took 8 wickets for the match. Ponting was PoM.

Who was Betty Wilson bowling at!
It was a three-day Test played at St. Kilda and ended in a draw, in fact the first day was washed out (or so it seems) so it was only played over two days.

I doubt the pitch would have been covered which may explain the low scoring first innings from both teams.

2nd Test, Melbourne, February 21 - 24, 1958

Betty also scored a 100 in the second innings.

• Betty Wilson became the first Test player (man or woman) to make a century and take ten wickets in a match.
  • Wilson's 10 wickets included a hat trick in the 1st innings (Barker, Hawes, Macfarlane)

Unlike the men, the women’s sides across test, ODI and T20 don’t vary as much. You also don’t want to create burnout amongst the players. This year there’s been the World Cup, IPL and domestic OD and T20 competitions to factor in.

A three-test series between the Aussie and Pommie women would be far more exciting than the series we have to endure this summer.

Schedule would be a huge issue, where are you cutting games because no way can they go 3 tests, 5 t20 and 3ODI’s. I’m hesitant to not streamline it with the men’s too the crowds have told a story in the test. Maybe one more test but you’d have to cut a game or two to do that. Maybe two t20’s go but would they get rid of two games like that doubt it

Who was Betty Wilson bowling at!
It was on a wet pitch at the Junction Oval - England asked Austraia to bat and bowled us out for just 38, Wilson top scored with 12.

From the related article:

"But it was Betty Wilson who had the last laugh.
She tore the England batting line-up apart with her off-spin, taking 7-7 as the tourists were dismissed for 35 during a spell that included the first ever hat-trick in women's international cricket.
Then, she scored a century as Australia posted 9-202 declared in their second dig.
The game ended in a rain-affected draw but Australia came close to stealing a win when Wilson collected 4-9 in England's second innings, finishing the match figures of 11-16.
In doing so, she became the first cricketer, male or female, to score a century and take 10 wickets in a Test, a feat not matched until 1980 when Ian Botham hit 114 and picked up 13 wickets against India in Mumbai."

Last edited:
Schedule would be a huge issue, where are you cutting games because no way can they go 3 tests, 5 t20 and 3ODI’s. I’m hesitant to not streamline it with the men’s too the crowds have told a story in the test. Maybe one more test but you’d have to cut a game or two to do that. Maybe two t20’s go but would they get rid of two games like that doubt it
They already play 3 T20s in the multi-format, not 5.

They already play 3 T20s in the multi-format, not 5.

Then where are you cutting games just can’t see there even being enough space. The only other gap is after the third test so there’s maybe a case for a second test there but that’s about it

Then where are you cutting games just can’t see there even being enough space. The only other gap is after the third test so there’s maybe a case for a second test there but that’s about it
They're not cutting games and, I'm sorry to say, they won't be playing more than 1 Test per series for the foreseeable future. Adding 2-day red ball games to the WNCL, and getting the likes of NZ to join in on the multi-format idea, is doable and on the agenda though.

Unfortunately, TW is right, which is a shame because this test and the Manuka Oval test were fantastic advertisements for Women's Test Cricket, but I can't see the ICC or the National Boards expanding the series to 2 or 3 tests. The best we can hope for is this series structure is expanded to include other Tier 1 nations and the women can at least play 2 or 3 tests a year.

Back