T20I BBL Changes for 2023-24 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

• The competition will revert to a 44-game season (40 home-and-away matches plus four finals) in KFC BBL|13 and future seasons, 12 months in advance of CA's extended seven-year broadcast deal with the Foxtel Group and Seven West Media that runs from 2024 to the end of the 2030-31 summer.
  • The reduced BBL season will include a new four-match finals series featuring the top four clubs (down from five matches and teams in BBL|09-BBL|12), with the finals structure to be confirmed closer to the season.
  • Also new this season will be the ability for clubs to trade draft picks, with the order again to be confirmed via a lottery ahead of the BBL|13 and inaugural WBBL draft expected to be held in September.
  • Clubs will still be required to have at least one selection in each round of the draft, but potential trades could include two clubs trading picks across more than one round where both teams would move up the order in one round but down in the other.
    This could be beneficial for a club with a later selection in the first round who wants to move up in the second round – for example, Team A (having picked seventh overall) trades picks 15 and 18 to Team B (who had the second overall pick) in exchange for picks 10 and 23, meaning Team A moves up in the second round but down in the following third round Another potential exchange could involve trading picks in the same round but including players – for example, Team C trades a domestic player and their first round pick to Team D in exchange for an earlier first round pick.
  • In another first, the league will introduce a week-long retention window for both the BBL and WBBL competitions where clubs will get first rights at re-signing no more than 12 men's and 10 women's players. This includes players already on multi-year deals but excludes overseas and local replacement players. This year's retention window will begin at 9am on May 15 and will end with the lifting of the contracting embargo and beginning of the trade period on May 22.

I don’t understand why they can announce a reduction in games, but not lock in a finals structure. Seems like they’re disorganised.

I expect the finals system to replicate the one used in the IPL.

Qualifier 1: 1st vs 2nd - winner into the final as hosts, loser into qualifier 2

Eliminator: 3rd vs 4th - loser out, winner through to qualifier 2

Qualifier 2: loser of qualifier 1 vs winner of the eliminator

Final: winner of qualifier 1 vs winner of qualifier 2.

You could fiddle around with the names: ''Qualifier 1'' could be the major semi final, ''the Eliminator'' could be the minor semi final and ''Qualifier 2'' could be a preliminary final.

Last edited:
I hate the reduction to 10 games per team. A 12 game season would have been a good middle ground between a 10 game season and a 14 game season.

Last season was 53 days long and the regular season was done and dusted 43 days. Based on the whinging, you'd think the BBL was 6 months long!

Every BBL game being live on free to air was more important than a shortened season.

I do like that they have done away the 5 team finals series and gone back to a final 4 which means you won't have the embarrassing prospect of 5th winning the title in an 8 team competition which we nearly had last season.

Last edited:
I dont get the hatred for the "long season" tbh. I used to moan it lost momentum but at the end of the day isnt more televised games better? You dont have to watch them all, but its there if you want it. Make it 20 games!

Good move with a 44 game season with 40 games as with BBL07 plus 3 playoffs and the BBL Final.

It's a format used in two top flight women's leagues in Australia including the A-League Women and Super Netball.

I dont get the hatred for the "long season" tbh. I used to moan it lost momentum but at the end of the day isnt more televised games better? You dont have to watch them all, but its there if you want it. Make it 20 games!
Because the international players go * this and don't come Faf and ABD said it themselves

50e60a1d53e0a9c4d51a600ef58d8134.jpg

52f7e99b6d869220d138fd46922b82da.jpg

I don’t understand why they can announce a reduction in games, but not lock in a finals structure. Seems like they’re disorganised.
Maybe still weighing up the "Qantas Party" and "Toyota Party" system, as revealed on here several months ago!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The IPL is a long season and those had no issues playing in that competition from start to finish.
Joe Root, Sikandar Raza and Shakib Al Hasan all left their IPL teams to focus on international duties; with Raza already playing for a Zimbabwe A v Pakistan Shaheens
Sunil Narine, Sam Curran, Phil Salt, Nathan Ellis and Glenn Maxwell are already in the UK playing in the T20 blast.

Last edited:
Plus their reluctance to ever acknowledge Australia Day stops the ideal final and instead it’s midweek.
There's this thing on Australia Day this year called a day-night Test, so that would be rather non-ideal to have it clash with the BBL final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back