Opinion Beams Trade [Officially derailed: Now disussing the folly of gambling, net negative players and the merit of Sier]

Beams deal: Did we overpay?

• Yes

Votes: 107 40.2%
  • No

Votes: 159 59.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Classy player.

Classy posts.

I’ll leave it there.

And for the last time, he didn’t cost US two first round picks - the first pick would have been Quaynor anyway. More like one pick 15-18 + junk picks

You are Right but we could kept that 1st Rounder and not payed so much for IQ

Still no dramas with this one from my perspective

We landed IQ last year, and this year's pick shaping to be high teens as well now.

When the whips are cracking I'm sure Beamsy will be there leading the way

Classy player.
He’s now Sharing gathering ball with our stacked mids.
He’s ball usage and delivery all year has been classy.
He has to be minded all the time.
Very astute player.

The first, First round pick was always for Quaynor and in reality we paid next years pick of high teens.

But wow people like to think if they are not going at AA level nothing is good.

You want quality, you pay something for it.

Last edited:
Classy player.
He’s now Shari gathering ball with our stacked mids.
He’s ball usage and delivery all year has been classy.
He has to be minded all the time.
Very astute player.

The first, First round pick was always for Quaynor and in reality we paid next years pick of high teens.

But wow people like to think if they are not going at AA level nothing is good.

You want quality, you pay something for it.

Well as Leviathan Pie he was talked up as 1 of the Elite Midfielders of the AFL when did the Trade.

He's been Good but not the Level they built up for him to be

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coaching staff, players (inner sanctum): He's playing his role, contributing at all levels of the club, TICK

BF experts: Spud, overpaid (jealous sods), not living up to their expectations....GIVE US A BREAK!

It's Called an OPINION

Hes joined a club with massive midfield depth and come from a club with a midfield of consisting of a Dane and a Dayne.

So yes, hes getting less of the ball. But the quality of his possessions is outstanding. Pies are 8-2 with seven wins on the trot, a strong chance for a top two position and from there a premiership. Beams is a massive part of that and we dont need him to be All Australian to justify recruiting him.

Well as Leviathan Pie he was talked up as 1 of the Elite Midfielders of the AFL when did the Trade.

He's been Good but not the Level they built up for him to be
He is A grade and can be elite when he’s the main guy (like at Brisbane).
But he’s sharing it around so to speak.
The days of him grabbing 35 possessions week on week is not possible surrounded by Pendlebury Treloar Adams Sidebottom - he has a more under stated roll.

I’d say his one lesser part this year is his kicking for goal (but that is an infliction club wide).

• But I think people don’t fully appreciate what such strong mid field depth means. It means each player must be watched, one player is down another can step up. If one is quiet he then can get off the chain and they can become dominant. It is about confusing opponents because they don’t know where to look. The great thing Beams does is classy ball use and decision making. Is he starring this season? No. But he’s been very good and he’s taxing the opposition.

Last edited:
I thought he was very poor tonight,He just looked slow and fumbly all night.
SCG at night is a shithole for football.
Dewy and loose surface.

Hes joined a club with massive midfield depth and come from a club with a midfield of consisting of a Dane and a Dayne.

So yes, hes getting less of the ball. But the quality of his possessions is outstanding. Pies are 8-2 with seven wins on the trot, a strong chance for a top two position and from there a premiership. Beams is a massive part of that and we dont need him to be All Australian to justify recruiting him.
Beautifully said.

He makes the opposition stretch as well.
Overall his skills top shelf.

Been a fantastic get using pick 17 (future 18 pick or so) for Beams and Quaynor

Worth every cent. You don't pass up A grade players who can kick goals when you're in with a chance of winning a flag.

He's still finding his way in the team, but when you have so many other players getting a lot of the ball, he's not going to be getting it as much as if he was the main midfielder in a lower team. He's a smart player and uses the ball well. He's been crucial in a number of games this season when in the past we'd have lost those close games.

Saying we paid two first rounders (while accurate) is a bit misleading.

One of those first rounders was pick 18 (which ended up being pick 21). And in that same draft we were still able to pick up Quaynor at pick 13 which pick 18 would have had to been used for anyway.

This years first round is hopefully going to end up late in the first round again, closer to the start of the second round than what it is to mid first round. Obviously I'd rather us have gotten back a pick from Brisbane in this year's draft as well but so far it seems like we're not going to be trading away a top 10 pick.

Saying we paid two first rounders (while accurate) is a bit misleading.

One of those first rounders was pick 18 (which ended up being pick 21). And in that same draft we were still able to pick up Quaynor at pick 13 which pick 18 would have had to been used for anyway.

This years first round is hopefully going to end up late in the first round again, closer to the start of the second round than what it is to mid first round. Obviously I'd rather us have gotten back a pick from Brisbane in this year's draft as well but so far it seems like we're not going to be trading away a top 10 pick.

Yep. Its similar to the misconceptions around the Treloar trade where people said we traded away two first rounders to land him. They ignore we got a second rounder back.

Yep. Its similar to the misconceptions around the Treloar trade where people said we traded away two firs rounders. They ignore we got a second rounder back which we used to trade for further picks for points to ensure we could land Callum Brown
Given we did give up two top 10 picks for Treloar I don't think its really in the same ballpark (not that I disagree with your point). But it does go to show how simple it is to comment on trades without thinking about the other parts of the deals.

It would be like if you were discussing the original Beams trade and were leaving Crisp out of the discussions about it.

He’s not starring but he’s contributing

Given we did give up two top 10 picks for Treloar I don't think its really in the same ballpark (not that I disagree with your point). But it does go to show how simple it is to comment on trades without thinking about the other parts of the deals.

It would be like if you were discussing the original Beams trade and were leaving Crisp out of the discussions about it.

If you get your man thats mostly what counts. Its like when we traded pick 7 away to get pick 10 because we were confident we'd get our man back about 2005. And we did. Unfortunately the man we wanted was Chris Egan. Fortunately we have better talent identification these days!!!

Back