Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Christmas morning has finally arrived, and the weather is perfect.

Great to see the team on paper looks great, has improved significantly on every line. Watch for new recruit Zac Greeves to hit the scoreboard hard today.

All roads lead to the Camp Reserve, if not do yourself a favour and listen to Fresh, the resurrection begins today!

No Filo?

Castlemaine aren't playing finals, Maryborough were the better coached team, just lack a few experienced heads out there, maine will run over them in the second half and flatter themselves

Jeez no need to crush us while we are up and about Trent!

Thought the side got better and better as the day went on yesterday, depth is an issue no doubt and keep in mind they were missing three of their best dozen who will be back next game. One of them is Matt Filo who is a huge loss.

The other whisper at the game yesterday is there will be two Maryborough’s this season. Apparently there is a contingent from up north who have been engaged to play a handful of games for the season, basically targeting the winnable ones. Have no idea if that is the case, one of our Maryborough correspondents might be able to confirm or deny, but it would certainly explain how much better they were than predicted by most yesterday. Good on them for putting out such a competitive and spirited team.

Regardless of the team prospects it was a great day for the club, huge crowd, great atmosphere, Hartley is the real deal, Henderson will lead the Michelson from start to finish and the future looks decidedly brighter than it has for at least a decade.

Thought the side got better and better as the day went on yesterday, depth is an issue no doubt and keep in mind they were missing three of their best dozen who will be back next game. One of them is Matt Filo who is a huge loss.

The other whisper at the game yesterday is there will be two Maryborough’s this season. Apparently there is a contingent from up north who have been engaged to play a handful of games for the season, basically targeting the winnable ones. Have no idea if that is the case, one of our Maryborough correspondents might be able to confirm or deny, but it would certainly explain how much better they were than predicted by most yesterday. Good noon them for putting out such a competitive and spirited team.

Regardless of the team prospects it was a great day for the club, huge crowd, great atmosphere, Hartley is the real deal, Henderson will lead the Michelson from start to finish and the future looks decidedly brighter than it has for at least a decade.
Great to hear mate, always loved going out to camp reserve as it’s a great viewing ground. Hartley and Henderson are like gold for Castlemaine. As mentioned before Castlemaine must keep taking steps forward for the good of the comp to see some change and some belief for the clubs that have been down for so long otherwise the comps future looks pretty grim. Great to hear Maryborough looked very competitive, good club with good people down that way.

The other whisper at the game yesterday is there will be two Maryborough’s this season. Apparently there is a contingent from up north who have been engaged to play a handful of games for the season, basically targeting the winnable ones. Have no idea if that is the case, one of our Maryborough correspondents might be able to confirm or deny, but it would certainly explain how much better they were than predicted by most yesterday. Good on them for putting out such a competitive and spirited team.

Thoughts on Greeves? Copped a whack from the commentators in the second quarter for not doing anything and having some wraps on him, think he looked ok if a little hungry

Thoughts on Greeves? Copped a whack from the commentators in the second quarter for not doing anything and having some wraps on him, think he looked ok if a little hungry

Thought he was like the team, got better as the game went on. Finished with 4 goals I think so you’d take that any day.

Certainly has the small forward appetite for a goal, not sure I’d waste my breath calling for a handball around goals but that’s the nature of the position I suppose.

Reckon he and Hartley will kick 100 plus between them which has been 5 years worth of goals for the entire team lately so huge step forward.

Great to hear mate, always loved going out to camp reserve as it’s a great viewing ground. Hartley and Henderson are like gold for Castlemaine. As mentioned before Castlemaine must keep taking steps forward for the good of the comp to see some change and some belief for the clubs that have been down for so long otherwise the comps future looks pretty grim. Great to hear Maryborough looked very competitive, good club with good people down that way.
Encouraging start to year by both teams.

At least another stand alone game this coming weekend would have been nice. Could even be played on a Saturday afternoon!

Other major leagues drawing massive crowds.

To let probably the best supported team in country vic just walk tells you everything. Would never have happened if Paul Byrne / Steven Oliver were in charge still

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m not part of the Bendigo FL my interest is at melton watching the bloke who works for me play

But it wasn’t that long ago Kyneton were a basket case anchored to the bottom of the ladder and went into recess for a year couldn’t field a 2’s side

Now people are saying they’re the biggest supported club in country footy

Massive turn around

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good day at Camp Reserve on Friday and a competitive contest where the end result wasn’t a reflection on the game. Very pleased with the efforts of Maryborough and our first half was excellent. We just didn’t have the legs or experience to continue in the second half which is common with a young developing team.

Nice to read the positive comments about the club. I will say to all the naysayers on here over the summer that wrote so much rubbish and lies that we are in a good space as a club and the future is promising. We have recruited well and not gone chasing over priced and over hyped players like many other clubs do. We also have an excellent group of quality young players who have committed to the club.

A long way to go this year and we will have our ups and downs but we are on the right path. Still a lot of hard work ahead but as those there on Friday saw, we have great supporters of a club that is finally on the right path forward. The work many people have done to get to this stage is unbelievable and their commitment unwavering. I should also mention we are financial unlike many other clubs in the central Victoria region.

Look forward to seeing us continue to develop and improve and make a difference in the Maryborough community. What we provide to to the town is a very important factor in who we are as a club and how we go forward.

Kyneton’s issue was never a lack of support.

Is the whisper correct about the fly in fly out signings lfg?
The whisper as you call it Forest is somewhat correct. We will have a couple of players that will play some games during the year but this isn’t every week. They are friends of a couple of the players and wanted to have a run during the off season. The club isn’t funding this as such, these are guys that just wish to play some more footy with their friends. A good outcome for us as they will help the young guys develop too. I am not into fly ins unlike other clubs do (which I appreciate some clubs need to do) as the long term benefits are negligible.

Just good to have some quality young men wanting to have a few games for the club during the year and with no financial impact. Happy with the arrangements.

The whisper as you call it Forest is somewhat correct. We will have a couple of players that will play some games during the year but this isn’t every week. They are friends of a couple of the players and wanted to have a run during the off season. The club isn’t funding this as such, these are guys that just wish to play some more footy with their friends. A good outcome for us as they will help the young guys develop too. I am not into fly ins unlike other clubs do (which I appreciate some clubs need to do) as the long term benefits are negligible.

Just good to have some quality young men wanting to have a few games for the club during the year and with no financial impact. Happy with the arrangements.
Its april fools day. Obviously this post is taking the pi5s.

Take him at his word mate. From the outside looking in it seems that Bailey Edward’s has returned to his junior club for some games here and there and brought a mate or two from up north. You have rocks in your head if you have an issue with that. With the position Maryborough are in it’s hard for anyone not involved in the club to throw stones.

Exactly right, good on Maryborough for being proactive.

Fact is if they can’t have some competitive games they will lose more players each year and not attract any.

If it means they have to spend some money on flights or whatever to get a few players in to help then good on them for being well enough managed to be able to achieve it.

Anyone who would criticise has no concept of the issues country clubs face.

Take him at his word mate. From the outside looking in it seems that Bailey Edward’s has returned to his junior club for some games here and there and brought a mate or two from up north. You have rocks in your head if you have an issue with that. With the position Maryborough are in it’s hard for anyone not involved in the club to throw stones.

With the way the comp is set up to suit the power clubs the following clubs are in the wrong competition and won’t secure their future until they move or the board is moved on

• kangaroo flat
  • Castlemaine
  • Maryborough
  • south bendigo

With the way the comp is set up to suit the power clubs the following clubs are in the wrong competition and won’t secure their future until they move or the board is moved on

• kangaroo flat
  • Castlemaine
  • Maryborough
  • south bendigo

I don’t necessarily disagree but let’s talk about things as they currently are for once.

As you are not involved you don’t know what the situation is and how the club has arranged things. I suggest you read my post again about financial impact and surely a man of your standing may work out how this has been funded.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back