Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

All leagues differ on this one. I think you need to play at least 5-6 games with your local club. Not sure of the ruling in the Bendigo League.
I was told last year by a supporter that Lachie Tardrew could not play for Sandhurst in the finals as he had played too many VFL games for Collingwood. I don't know if this information was quite right though hence my query. If anyone knows the rules for the BFNL please enlighten us.

Youā€™re dead set taking the pi55 here arnt you?

I was told last year by a supporter that Lachie Tardrew could not play for Sandhurst in the finals as he had played too many VFL games for Collingwood. I don't know if this information was quite right though hence my query. If anyone knows the rules for the BFNL please enlighten us.
if you play more than 11 VFL games you're ineligible regardless of how many BFL games. A mate's son plays for Gisborne and this is what he was told last year.

Given Kyneton beat them twice part year, do you think they will dominate the RDFL this year?

I watched most of the early game - Gissy won easy, $1.01 to win their 3rd 18ā€™s flag in a row. Massive chance to win all 3 grades of footy, plus 3-4 netball flags

Ballarat - lock it in

Sounds like Kyneton are morals then to win the flag

I would have had it Meltons way by a goal or so in the second game, both sides had quality players out by all reports.

Given Kyneton beat them twice part year, do you think they will dominate the RDFL this year?

I watched most of the early game - Gissy won easy, $1.01 to win their 3rd 18ā€™s flag in a row. Massive chance to win all 3 grades of footy, plus 3-4 netball flags

Ballarat - lock it in

Sounds like Kyneton are morals then to win the flag this year?
Not a Bendigo footy person myself but Gisborne would have to be Big improvers after what I saw today vs Melton. Played a good style of footy and moved the ball very well.

Donā€™t know a lot about Kyneton but very confident Gisborne would win the Flag in the RDFL by a decent margin with waters back coaching.

This Easter weekend the O&M have 5 matches including 2 on Friday night and another 2 on Sunday. According to the Border Mail they expect to draw overall crowds of 10,000.

The BFNL have one game only and even that includes the struggling bottom side. This game will still draw a good crowd, but overall what a wasted opportunity with warmer weather and public holidays to get supporters to BFNL football.

Hit the nail on the head albury

The main reason is that the big clubs in bendigo donā€™t actually have to play over Easter. They donā€™t need to generate massive amounts of money because they pay stuff all.

Strath / square / sandhurst really donā€™t have to worry with their depth of juniors being funnelled into them from the schools.

Flat / south / eaglehawk lose out because they have zero presence on the board

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

This Easter weekend the O&M have 5 matches including 2 on Friday night and another 2 on Sunday. According to the Border Mail they expect to draw overall crowds of 10,000.

The BFNL have one game only and even that includes the struggling bottom side. This game will still draw a good crowd, but overall what a wasted opportunity with warmer weather and public holidays to get supporters to BFNL football.

I have it on good authority Kyneton and Gisborne were refused a Good Friday game last year because it ā€˜is too much of an advantage over the rest of the competitionā€™.

My translation is some Bendigo clubs couldnā€™t be bothered running a game at Easter but wanted to make sure no one else did so leaned on HQ to shut it down after they had a couple of massive days.

I guess Castlemaine and Maryborough are considered lowly enough that the odd table scrap doesnā€™t matter.

Of course it wasnā€™t the administrationā€™s fault that Kyneton left though.

I have it on good authority Kyneton and Gisborne were refused a Good Friday game last year because it ā€˜is too much of an advantage over the rest of the competitionā€™.

My translation is some Bendigo clubs couldnā€™t be bothered running a game at Easter but wanted to make sure no one else did so leaned on HQ to shut it down after they had a couple of massive days.

I guess Castlemaine and Maryborough are considered lowly enough that the odd table scrap doesnā€™t matter.

To let probably the best supported team in country vic just walk tells you everything. Would never have happened if Paul Byrne / Steven Oliver were in charge still

About 75% of Good Friday Kyneton v Gisborne games were held at Kynetonā€¦.

Im not sure what Gisborne got out of that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldnā€™t tell you what, if any, financial arrangements were made but thereā€™s plenty of benefits in playing big games in front of big crowds for players and clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A source from Gissy told me it was them who didnā€™t want Good Friday ? Same bloke who stuffed up their golden bulldogs club that had 60 blokes in it. The old saying ā€œjust because people volunteer doesnā€™t mean they are any good ā€œ comes to mind

A source from Gissy told me it was them who didnā€™t want Good Friday ? Same bloke who stuffed up their golden bulldogs club that had 60 blokes in it. The old saying ā€œjust because people volunteer doesnā€™t mean they are any good ā€œ comes to mind

So if your right then Forest's 'good authority' statement that these teams were refused a Good Friday game by HQ under pressure from 'some Bendigo clubs' goes out the window.

In respect of your own logic, that is 'The main reason is that the big clubs in bendigo donā€™t actually have to play over Easter. They donā€™t need to generate massive amounts of money because they pay stuff all', then what is to stop South and Eaglehawk playing a Good Friday or Sunday game (or Kangaroo Flat v either of these teams)?

I am also curious, how do the board members stop school kids playing for Kangaroo Flat, South or Eaglehawk? What do they do, ring up and threaten their parents? If the coach of the Pioneers was an ex Sandhurst player rather than an ex South Bendigo player God knows what interpretation you would put on that.

I am disappointed that their are not more games over the Easter but I expect resistance from players is the main reason. The Ovens & Murray & Goulburn Valley leagues start their seasons earlier than the BFNL and this may make playing over Easter more logical for the players. (For example it is round one in the O&M). The BFNL could start their season earlier to do likewise then have a number of split rounds so the arrangements for the finals (dates) remain as they are.

In summary I think the board can and should do better but I don't go for this conspiracy/control stuff. If you do believe it then stand for the Board and give your reasons. Have the courage of your convictions. I personally would like to see the Board made up of 1 or 2 reps from each club which, one would think, would end the conspiracy theories. I also think the clubs can and should do better and put their hand up for Friday and Sunday games, especially over Easter. Full credit for Castlemaine and Maryborough for their Good Friday game. I am sure they will attract of good crowd.

Couldnā€™t agree more. There should be a night game and a Sunday game most rounds in my opinion.

Players hate them but if they want to be as well paid as they are then tough.

I donā€™t cop the arguments about the cold, plenty of people go to AFL games in winter, rug up and get fire pits going. Country games are more twilight type starts and finish much earlier anyway.

Iā€™d love to see a club like Castlemaine play a Friday night senior match, start at 6:30 and try and get the town down and into the rooms after for the AFL.

Then come back the next day and play the other games with the womenā€™s game in the 2pm spot.

Clubs need to get outside the square and provide something different to raise funds these days and the easiest money you make is coming through the gate.

Donā€™t they set their own fees each year and take them to the league to negotiate/accept?
They do, havent seen a rise for awhile but are now set for a big increase.

Had a couple of young teenagers running around umpiring senior practice matches so good to see their selection policy of inner circle or young is still in affect.

AlburyE you'll be pleased to hear most of the Addy and Fresh FM tipsters are going for Sandhurst to finish on top of the BFNL ladder, 2024.

So that means a September grand final spot. Gizzy is the most popular co-grand finalist, but we'll see tomorrow and on air who they're all going for. Of course it's very early days with 6 months to play out.

And no, no, no AlburyE ---- do NOT under any circumstances go back to the 2 delegates per club to form the league hierarchy. That was tried in the early Eighties when the BFL and Golden City FL clubs merged and was an absolute disaster.

The shouting matches at BGCFL meetings had to be seen -- and heard -- to be believed.

AlburyE you'll be pleased to hear most of the Addy and Fresh FM tipsters are going for Sandhurst to finish on top of the BFNL ladder, 2024.

So that means a September grand final spot. Gizzy is the most popular co-grand finalist, but we'll see tomorrow and on air who they're all going for. Of course it's very early days with 6 months to play out.

And no, no, no AlburyE ---- do NOT under any circumstances go back to the 2 delegates per club to form the league hierarchy. That was tried in the early Eighties when the BFL and Golden City FL clubs merged and was an absolute disaster.

The shouting matches at BGCFL meetings had to be seen -- and heard -- to be believed.
Fifith 'I have it on good authority' that the goal for this season is to prove Mad Jack wrong and get within 100 points of Gisborne. This of course is going to be a very difficult challenge.

The early 80's was a pretty turbulent era. I don't know if there would be a lot of shouting today but would that really be so bad? It means club reps are passionate about their clubs. In this situation they would all express their views and they certainly would be public knowledge. Square, Sandhurst & Strath who are meant to be controlling the board at the moment according to that outstanding football genius CM would only have one third of the votes. In reality I don't think Sandhurst and Square reps would even cross the road together, but this set up would put the conspiracy stuff to bed.

I do think the board is made up of dedicated individuals who clearly have to make personal sacrifices to be on it and are subjected to some pretty nasty personal trolling. However having said that I have been disappointed with they way the competition has just been allowed to just roll on season after season without any discussions, at least public, of the issues. Yes it is very hard to get another team to come into the competition. Teams that the board would like such as Rochester just don't want to come. However there are some changes that could be made. For example more Friday night games around the Easter people. Sunday games not just at Easter, but throughout the year. Each club would only have to play one or possibly two at the most. This is common in the Ovens & Murray and Goulburn Valley leagues and popular with club supporters so I just cannot see why it could not be done in the BFNL. Other changes which could be considered are the salary cap for struggling clubs could be removed. The points system for struggling clubs could be removed. The points allocation for players moving from bottom clubs to the top teams could be reviewed. Mergers have to be considered. Discussions could be held with surrounding leagues about a promotion/demotion set up. Might be hard to achieve but at least club officials would not wake up and read in the Addy about something being proposed without their input as happened recently. That is sure way of destroying a concept before it can even be considered.

In summary it is a time for some constructive changes in the BFNL setup.

Christmas morning has finally arrived, and the weather is perfect.

Great to see the team on paper looks great, has improved significantly on every line. Watch for new recruit Zac Greeves to hit the scoreboard hard today.

All roads lead to the Camp Reserve, if not do yourself a favour and listen to Fresh, the resurrection begins today!

Christmas morning has finally arrived, and the weather is perfect.

Great to see the team on paper looks great, has improved significantly on every line. Watch for new recruit Zac Greeves to hit the scoreboard hard today.

All roads lead to the Camp Reserve, if not do yourself a favour and listen to Fresh, the resurrection begins today!
Maryborough with some good ins as well, Bailey Edwardā€™s back at his home club has brought a couple nightcliff lads with him as well!
Iā€™m tipping a closer game then what you think

Remove this Banner Ad

Back