Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I know someone who tipped 6 figures into Strath when they were set up. It wasn't all spent in one year and wasn't all for player payments but they had a massive influx of cash.

Is anyone lining up to do that for MG?

I disagree if there was one major league club made up from Harcourt, Maldon, creek, newstead, and castlemaine and one minor league team, they would be far more competitive in Bendigo.

Same with Maryborough, Talbot, giants, Carisbrook, navarre and natte.

It's actually proven Ouyen won a flag when they merged and so did the giants in major leagues

Exactly right old mate. The blue print is there. Swallow the pride and think of the future. Ouyen United, Southern Mallee Thunder, Kerang are all the examples.

Look to the future amd think of the people who come after you

not that i intend to play football anymore (i’m bad) but trent’s bang on the money wrt getting players to play for maryborough, castlemaine etc. whats the actual incentive to play for them, instead of a sandhurst, square etc.

if i was good and interested in playing, i’d play locally, i certainly don’t have the time during the year to travel 2 hours to train (nor would i be interested in uprooting my life) to play football for a side that’s bad.

there has to be actual, genuine incentives to drag players in, while a big paycheque is nice, getting thumped every game in a season won’t keep you at a club, it’d demoralise you a ton & make you hate playing.

I know someone who tipped 6 figures into Strath when they were set up. It wasn't all spent in one year and wasn't all for player payments but they had a massive influx of cash.

Old mate Garlick and his family are stacked with cash..problem is he has no idea about football clubs

What's wrong with their ground?
I mean their whole football program.

Even when they had their U18s dominating the LVFNL they still struggled in the 1s. Having a strong junior club won't magically make them competitive.

I know exactly what the spend was for the first flag and Crazy is over but not wildly so.

It’s not a criticism either, good on them for getting it done but I can’t see it happening now with both the salary cap, weak as it is, and the economic environment.

Anyway, with all this talk I’ve forgotten the other main story of the day and buried the lead.

I’m told there was sympathetic Gisborne people letting Maryborough know they won’t have to try and deal with them next year because they are heading to Ballarat.

Anyway, with all this talk I’ve forgotten the other main story of the day and buried the lead.

I’m told there was sympathetic Gisborne people letting Maryborough know they won’t have to try and deal with them next year because they are heading to Ballarat.

Spoke directly to a Gisborne official yesterday who said direct opposite. Do not want to move leagues at all were the words and that they are committed to being a point of difference to Darley, Bacchus Marsh, Sunbury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke directly to a Gisborne official yesterday who said direct opposite. Do not want to move leagues at all were the words and that they are committed to being a point of difference to Darley, Bacchus Marsh, Sunbury
He'd be the only one. All the people I know up there are looking forward to less travel mate.

not that i intend to play football anymore (i’m bad) but trent’s bang on the money wrt getting players to play for maryborough, castlemaine etc. whats the actual incentive to play for them, instead of a sandhurst, square etc.

if i was good and interested in playing, i’d play locally, i certainly don’t have the time during the year to travel 2 hours to train (nor would i be interested in uprooting my life) to play football for a side that’s bad.

there has to be actual, genuine incentives to drag players in, while a big paycheque is nice, getting thumped every game in a season won’t keep you at a club, it’d demoralise you a ton & make you hate playing.
Absolutely spot on mate

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I know exactly what the spend was for the first flag and Crazy is over but not wildly so.

It’s not a criticism either, good on them for getting it done but I can’t see it happening now with both the salary cap, weak as it is, and the economic environment.
Unless during your football life you had been treasurer at Strath, I call bullshit

He'd be the only one. All the people I know up there are looking forward to less travel mate.
And Gisborne would also get their rivalry back v Sunbury which would be bloody huge.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Correct weight. They are wondering why they are travelling to Bendigo to play in a competition where they get one or two competitive games a season and are bleeding from the loss of their most lucrative home match v Kyneton.

Unless during your football life you had been treasurer at Strath, I call bullshit

I have not but I have sought advice from very senior people at Strath at that time who very generously went through the pathway to achieve their success and the playing and coaching budget was obviously a key part of that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back