Best “international” batsmen of recent decades

Remove this Banner Ad

ourgameplandoesntwork

Senior List
Aug 27, 2021
AFL Club
Geelong
It’s amazing the difference in batting performances from supposedly world-class batters, across different countries.

Name some of the batsmen in recent decades, who performed best across a range of countries.

Is this the true measure of the best batsmen?

Damien Martyn seem to go quite well wherever he played. I think he had a better average away than he did at home.

Kallis averaged stupid amounts everywhere bar, again, Bangladesh, England and Sri Lanka.

England seems a bit odd (he averaged 36) because he thrived in the other 3 countries where either bounce, seam or swing were prevalent in NZ, Aus and SA.

Sri Lanka I guess maybe the Murali factor but his record in India, Pakistan and UAE was astronomical

Dravid struggled in SA (29) and Sri Lanka (31) but was over 40 everywhere else and was one of the few major Indian contributors who has a higher away average than at home.
Not sure what the stats say but he may be the finest Indian player in England where he averaged nearly 70 including a couple of centuries late in his career as an opener

Lara struggled - comparatively - in India and NZ. Mid 30s in both though he only played 3 matches in India and I suspect with more, given how he played spin, that wouldn’t have taken long to rectify.

A really interesting one is Sunil Gavaskar.
Now it’s worth remembering he never had to play in SA but he had no trouble scoring I think 12 hundreds against the West Indies so I suspect he would have been fine.

He’s often derided because of how selfish his reputation was but the guy was a seriously tough cricketer at a time when India didn’t have a huge amount of them.

His only blemish is 37 in Sri Lanka of all places, at a time when they were still virtually a minnow. Even then he hit half-centuries in 2 of their 3 games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back