Best 22 and depth

Remove this Banner Ad

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
I was reading the debate in the Changes vs the Crows thread and had the wonderful realisation that we now have a squad depth that I can't ever remember us having. So I thought it would be interesting to get peoples take on how you would rank our list. In doing mine, it made me realise how much stronger our bottom 6 are than the Suban/Sutcliffe/Spurr/Sheridan years. There are some good players not even in the 22 - a lack of consistency is what places them lower on the list.

It's up to you how you would go about the ranking. For my list I've chosen the following parameters:
- Not included players who have yet to debut
- Not included Sandilands and Bennell because I don't believe we'll ever see them run out again
- Not sought to create a balanced best 22, i.e. a team comprising my best 22 would not be a balanced team
- Ranked them in order of ability within their preferred position (i.e. placing Pearce higher than Ryan does not mean I would rather Pearce had the ball in his hands)

So here's my thoughts - and Nyhuis down at 28 just goes to show how much our depth has improved:

1 - Fyfe
2 - Walters
3 - Pearce
4 - Hamling
5 - Ryan
6 - Mundy
7 - Taberner
8 - B Hill
9 - Blakely
10 - Langdon
11 - Matera
12 - S Hill (will push up the list if he can recapture 2012-16 form)
13 - Hogan (expect him to rise)
14 - Brayshaw
15 - Wilson
16 - Lobb
17 - Logue
18 - Cerra (needs more consistency and will surely rise)
19 - Cox
20 - McCarthy
21 - Switkowski
22 - Conca
23 - Tucker
24 - Colyer
25 - Darcy
26 - Hughes
27 - Duman
28 - Nyhuis
29 - Banfield
30 - Kersten
31 - Ballantyne
32 - Giro
33 - Crowden
34 - Schultz
35 - Jones

I was reading the debate in the Changes vs the Crows thread and had the wonderful realisation that we now have a squad depth that I can't ever remember us having. So I thought it would be interesting to get peoples take on how you would rank our list. In doing mine, it made me realise how much stronger our bottom 6 are than the Suban/Sutcliffe/Spurr/Sheridan years. There are some good players not even in the 22 - a lack of consistency is what places them lower on the list.

It's up to you how you would go about the ranking. For my list I've chosen the following parameters:
- Not included Sandilands and Bennell because I don't believe we'll ever see them run out again
- Not sought to create a balanced best 22, i.e. a team comprising my best 22 would not be a balanced team
- Ranked them in order of ability within their preferred position (i.e. placing Pearce higher than Ryan does not mean I would rather Pearce had the ball in his hands)

So here's my thoughts - and Nyhuis down at 28 just goes to show how much our depth has improved:

1 - Fyfe
2 - Walters
3 - Pearce
4 - Hamling
5 - Ryan
6 - Mundy
7 - Taberner
8 - B Hill
9 - Blakely
10 - Langdon
11 - Matera
14 - Brayshaw
15 - Wilson
16 - Lobb
17 - Logue
19 - Cox
20 - McCarthy
21 - Switkowski
22 - Conca
23 - Tucker
24 - Colyer
25 - Darcy
26 - Hughes
27 - Duman
28 - Nyhuis
29 - Banfield
30 - Kersten
31 - Ballantyne
32 - Giro
33 - Crowden
34 - Schultz
35 - Jones
Have you deliberately left out Sturt Meek Bewley and Carter or was that an error on your part?

1 - Fyfe
2 - Walters
3 - Pearce
4 - Hamling
5 - Ryan
6 - Mundy
7 - Taberner
8 - B Hill
9 - Blakely
10 - Langdon
11 - Matera
14 - Brayshaw
15 - Wilson
16 - Lobb
17 - Logue
19 - Cox
20 - McCarthy
21 - Switkowski
22 - Conca
23 - Tucker
24 - Colyer
25 - Darcy
26 - Hughes
27 - Duman
28 - Nyhuis
29 - Banfield
30 - Kersten
31 - Ballantyne
32 - Giro
33 - Crowden
34 - Schultz
35 - Jones

You’re giving too much love to Cox, and Logue.
I’d have Hughes and Tucker higher as well.
Both in 22 easily.

You’re giving too much love to Cox, and Logue.
I’d have Hughes and Tucker higher as well.
Both in 22 easily.

I'm a big fan of Hughes, but he does have a clanger in him. Although to a large extent he is the reason why I'm increasingly optimistic about our list and our next 3-4 seasons. Having him and Nyhuis outside what I believe are our best 22 players, yet witnessing them both play fantastic games at the weekend shows how our depth is building. We will only go deep into finals if our best 30 players are high performers.

As for Logue - I'll concede I perhaps have a optimism bias towards him.

Cox - I debated having him higher, I think he has more potential than any player in our last three drafts.

Very good:
Fyfe
Walters
Hogan
B Hill
Pearce
Mundy

Good:
Blakely
Hamling
Ryan
Langdon
S Hill
Wilson
Taberner
Lobb

Promising:
Cerra
Tucker
Cox
McCarthy
Darcy
Brayshaw
Switkowski
Logue

Useful:
Matera
Conca
Duman
Colyer
Hughes
Nyhuis
Kersten

Depth (some more promising than others):
North
Valente
Crowden
Banfield
Giro
Bewley
Dixon
Carter
Sturt
Schultz
Meek

Cooked:
Jones
Ballantyne
Sandilands
Bennell

Very good:
Fyfe
Walters
Hogan
B Hill
Pearce
Mundy

Good:
Blakely
Hamling
Ryan
Langdon
S Hill
Wilson
Taberner
Lobb

Promising:
Cerra
Tucker
Cox
McCarthy
Darcy
Brayshaw
Switkowski
Logue

Useful:
Matera
Conca
Duman
Colyer
Hughes
Nyhuis
Kersten

Depth (some more promising than others):
North
Valente
Crowden
Banfield
Giro
Bewley
Dixon
Carter
Sturt
Schultz
Meek

Cooked:
Jones
Ballantyne
Sandilands
Bennell

6 x Very good, 8 x Good; 8 x Promising; 7 x Useful. I'm not sure I can recall having 29 players in those brackets before.

A bit harsh on Jones, to be cooked he would have to have been raw at one point...

1-10
Fyfe
Walters
Pearce
Hogan (based on his best and recent improvement)
Ryan
Mundy
S. Hill (If he ever plays)
Hill
Blakely (Probably higher by the end of year)
Hamling

11-20
Tabs
Wilson
Langdon
Lobb
McCarthy
Matera
Conca
Switowski
Tucker
Hughes

20-30
Brayshaw
Logue
Duman
Cerra
Colyer
Nyhuis
Darcy
Banfield
Cox
Shultz

Only going by guys I've seen a bit of (A lot of young guys like North I can't comment on). Probably have Cox a way lower than others, he's definately got potential to go high but this list isn't future talent it now.) Would love Cerra to be higher but I'm not sure he's suited to that half-back position and he seems to struggle, Brayshaw's not really been better than anyone above him this year.

Doing this makes you really appreciate how well we've recruited in the past 2 years. That 11-20 range is full of recruits that you'd be very comfortable taking into a GF, add Hogan, Hamling and Ryan in and it's a serious effort.
I'd say we go about 29 deep as far as 'proven/semi-proven' talent goes, most below here are younger though which leaves only good signs.
Ballas/Sandi/Bennell I excluded as not sure what will happen with them and it seems ambitious to include.

I think our depth by position is challenging.

Who replaces Hamling or Pearce if one or both go down?

Ruck depth not that great either. Lobb gets beaten a fair bit and Darcy still raw. Sandi is done. Meek and Jones meh.

Midfield not very deep. However, Cerra and Brayshaw are getting plenty of games under their belt hopefully really start hitting there straps once they pass 50 game mark.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but our deepest position is forwards both big and small.

I think our depth by position is challenging.

Who replaces Hamling or Pearce if one or both go down? Kersten, Logue, Cox, Duman and Hughes can all step up and play some kind of role, and it was ridiculed, but with KPF depth, Hogan is an option. Plenty to work with.

Ruck depth not that great either. Lobb gets beaten a fair bit and Darcy still raw. Sandi is done. Meek and Jones meh. I think we should chase a mature depth ruck, but it isn't a pressing issue.

Midfield not very deep. However, Cerra and Brayshaw are getting plenty of games under their belt hopefully really start hitting there straps once they pass 50 game mark. This will change quite quickly for us. and we have some untried players with mature bodies coming through in North, Valente and Bewley.

Can’t believe I’m saying this but our deepest position is forwards both big and small.
Every list has challenges. I'm not too concerned. Our list management is doing great things.

Regarding the midfield, I think they are putting in an amazing performance considering that;
  • we are playing without our 2 first choice #1 rucks.
  • we lost the games most prolific midfielder over the off-season.
  • SHill and Blakely, two of our best 22 midfielders, are injured.

1 - Fyfe
2 - Walters
3 - Pearce
4 - Hamling
5 - Ryan
6 - Mundy
7 - Taberner
8 - B Hill
9 - Blakely
10 - Langdon
11 - Matera
14 - Brayshaw
15 - Wilson
16 - Lobb
17 - Logue
19 - Cox
20 - McCarthy
21 - Switkowski
22 - Conca
23 - Tucker
24 - Colyer
25 - Darcy
26 - Hughes
27 - Duman
28 - Nyhuis
29 - Banfield
30 - Kersten
31 - Ballantyne
32 - Giro
33 - Crowden
34 - Schultz
35 - Jones

Here's my go. With the same criteria and no players who have yet to play a game.

Obviously its subjective. Rate Tucker as one of our most improved. Cerra Im rating in his defensive role.

1. Fyfe
2. Walters
3. Alex Pearce
4. Mundy
5. Hogan
6. Brad Hill
7. Hamling
8. Ryan
9. Taberner
10. Langdon
11. Matera (leading ghe whole afl in goals for small forwards)
12. Blakely (obviously a bit higher if he proves fitness.
13. Wilson
14. S.Hill
15. Lobb
16. Tucker
17. Hughes
18. Cpnca
19. Brayshaw
20. Swita
21. McCarthy
22. Colyer
23. Cerra (on present form not potential)
24. Logue
25. Cox (struggling in my view. But will rebound for sure)
26. Nyhuis (could higher quickly)
27. Darcy (will obviusly rise once he gets a bit more conditioning)
28. Duman (again just opinion. I dont rate him as high as most. Too slow in my view)
29. Banfield
30. Ballantyne
31. Shultz
33. Crowden
32. Giro
33. Kersten
34. Jones

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feel like can’t ratw Logue at all. Hasn’t played since 2017. Who knows what he is capable of now..
I would put Tabs and Hogan both top 10. Without one, the other doesn’t perform to their max. Certainly true of Hogan when Tabs is around.

1- Fyfe
2- A. Pearce
3. Mundy
4. B. Hill
5. Walters
6. Hamling
7. Hogan
8. Taberner
9. Langdon
10. Ryan
11. Matera

Stephen Hill should be top 10. Just based off this season currently, he’s injured. Easily top 5 even top 3 IMO

12. Lobb
13. Wilson
14. Hughes
15. McCarthy
16. Brayshaw
17. Cerra
18. Darcy
19. Tucker
20. Cox
21. Nyhuis
22. Colyer

Brayshaw, Cerra, Tucker can make top 10. Doing a great job right now. Will improve.

23. Duman
24. Conca
25. Banfield
26. Schultz
27. North
28. Giro
29. Sturt
30. Carter
31. Crowden
32. Bewley
33. Dixon
34 Valente
35. Watson

Bewley, Dixon, Sturt, Watson are all developing so they’re all good depth but can’t really rank them until they have played suficient WAFL and AFL games

36. Kersten - cooked. Delist material
37. Jones - delist
38. Meek - delist
LTI/Unknown: can’t put these players on the list due to their injuries and/or time out.
Logue (potential top 10. Who knows. Hughes is doing his role)

Bennel (what a shame.. can easily be
Top 5)

Sandi- needs to be on the park. Top 5-10 when fit. This year he’s not close

Ballas- 1,2,3 seasons too many. Pushed it as far as he can go. But he’s not required.

S. Hill - again, Top 5 when fit. Doesn’t look close to coming back. Not the same player as 2015-2017. Injuries really impacted his usefulness and peak.

Key point to note is that Darcy/ Lobb are our main rucks then there’s a significant drop off in terms of tall depth. Sandi is injured, Jones is a liability, Meek not much difference. That’s the concerning part

I’ll have a go

1. Fyfe (best of the lot)
2. Alex Pearce (amazing how good he is)
3. Walters
4. Mundy
5. B Hill
6. Hamling
7. Taberner
8. Ryan
9. Hogan
10. Langdon
11. Lobb
12. Matera
13. Blakely
14. Wilson
15. S.Hill
16. Hughes
17. Tucker
18. Concer
19. Brayshaw
20. Swita
21. McCarthy
22. Colyer
23. Cerra
24. Nyhuis (rate him, especially after the weekend)
25. Darcy (will go higher)
26. Logue
27. Cox
28. Duman (good backup)
29. Banfield
30. Crowden
31. Shultz
32. Giro
33. Dixon
34. Kersten
35. Meek
36. Jones
37. Ballantyne

S -

Fyfe, Mundy, Pearce and Walters

A -

Hamling, Ryan, Walters, Taberner and Billy

B -

Matera, Hogan, Lobb, Langdon, Cerra and Hughes

C -

McCarthy, Tucker, Nyhuis, Wilson, Switkowski, Brayshaw, Conca and Colyer

D -

Banfield, Ballantyne, Duman, Darcy and Schultz

My Best 22 for round 23 2019 - assuming no injuries - the ones in Bold are out for year and really hurting us structurally that they are not playing:

B: Logue Pearce Ryan
HB: Conca Hamling Wilson
C: B. Hill Fyfe S. Hill
HF: Walters Hogan Switta
F: Matera Tabs Lobb

Ruck: Sandi Mundy Brayshaw

Int: Tucker, Blakely, Cerra, Langdon

Sorry edited, as i forgot Logue - he has moved into B22 for me by end of this season and moving into next year

Duman drops out

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back